Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Ironically the whole idea of them begging for another series is the main thing that's made me question whether I want to see another one or not. I do hope for one as long as these 3 shows are regarded as a spinoff and are completely ignored when future episodes are made (no continuity from this one)

I think the 4th wall breaking will turn many people off.

2. Dawatticus

Dawatticus Third Technician

Well yeah! They would be ignored. If they manage to get a continuation .. then they wouldnt have to ask for one, and thus they wouldnt go to get one in the first place!

But you must know fine well .... Red Dwarf has ALWAYS consisted of a couple of " haha jokes " and maybe " one " heh " joke in every episode. I hope you guys arent watching this through " Rose Tinted Glasses " ((e.g youve not watched it for years and just think its the most hilarious TV show ever made ))

((( Just a little edit to say )))

The audience, for me, always laughed at random crap that wasnt even funny....

3. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

So yeah. I've decided:

Doug Naylor is brilliant as writing great sci-fi plots. His humour though...it's hit and miss to the extreme. When it's a hit, it's hysterical and when it's a miss, it's dire.

If series 9 comes around...

...There should be a co-writer. Someone to replace Rob Grant. Someone who can provide hilarity which matches well with Doug Naylor's sci-fi ideas.

Any ideas? My pick would have to be...Ben Elton.

Why? Blackadder. It was like red dwarf in reverse. Series 1 by Richard Curtis was just too expansive, too historical, and not funny enough. Series 2 saw the addition of Ben Elton, and the show improved dramatically. Some of the funniest episodes in any comedy, ever.

And Elton's sense of humour is a perfect match for red dwarf.

4. Helliconia

Helliconia Skutter

What is everyones problem with the plot exactly? I could understand maybe if this was a serious sci fi show or something but RD is anything but. I mean for me, the 4th wall was broken from the 1st series onward, everytime any of the characters mentioned or showed anything from 'our world', eg: star trek, all those flashbacks involving 1980's cars etc. And noone gave a damn then, so why give a damn now? As long as its funny thats all that matters, and tonights episode was that! Very tounge in cheek, very clever, simultaneously making fun of the fans and the writers/actors at the same time, brilliant! I cant wait to see the last episode to see what happens. :-D

ps: I may or may not frequent that comic book store they went into on occasion. 'they walk among us'

5. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

OOOOOOOOK, am I watching the same thing here as you guys???? this was THE worst Red Dwarf episode I have ever seen :-(
    it was totally totally not funny anywhere, I didn't laugh at anything, zippo. The acting has just gotten worse, its becoming a terrible story which is obviously gonna end with meeting Grant or Naylor and being given more life (plus hints at season 10) and why do we need a Blade Runner rip? sorry...a BAD blade Runner rip :evil:

The first part was passable and I enjoyed bits, it was a swing back to the old days of RD, but this just seems like a 'Fools and Horses' special that has been churned out for xmas and a cash injection. I cant begin to express how upset I am here :-( this is just bad, pure dribble.

So we have found out that these new 3 specials are season 9 aparantley :shock: errr excuse me? season 9!!! farse.
    Season 10 on the way aparantley, and we are beginning to find out some plotlines too, so that will spoil season 10 if its true. On a better note that does mean we may get explanation into what happened after season 8 up to these specials, maybe.

Some of you guys are saying this has subtle hints and hidden secrets that are genius etc...are you crazy?? this is the lamest cash in I have ever seen :-( its pathetic, there is nothing brilliant about it. The plot isnt really original either, just a play on Timeslides, Dimension Jump and Back to Reality. I think this concept of another dimension where they are fake TV characters is a very very bad idea, especially our time or dimension, Back to Reality shows how well the idea CAN work but this is really poor.

Im sorry guys but I am really disappointed here, I thought the first was OK and was hoping for better but in my opinion I have been let down hugely here, is this just an excuse for Grant or Naylor to get a cameo??
    I don't think episode three can save this for me now, the plot is gone and what I expect from RD is gone.

If there is a season 10 it is gonna have alot of work to get this back on track for me :-( but as it is suppose to lead up to this mess Im really worried it will be crap.

:?
    In my opinion this is poor.

ps. I agree with Dan on many points here too, this whole thing is leading to the team begging Grant Naylor (and the money men obviously) for more seasons, is it me or is that kinda pathetic? crawling? making this lame special around that poor concept.
    Im actually really upset here, I feel alittle betrayed.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Mentioning other shows is different from mentioning your own show and saying you are a fictional character. Huge difference. Also I don't think it is that original, plus the way it was done was bad. Lister comes to the conclusion that he is a tv character within seconds of seeing the DVD and accepts it within a few more seconds. He doesn't think he may be hallucinating, in a dream, in a non reality buble? No, quite obviously he is a tv character. Onl and mot logical explaination.:roll:

And another thing is, Red Dwarf has tried to become more serious, so it's a bit hard to say it's not serious when it's now being billed as drama/comedy.

7. Helliconia

Helliconia Skutter

What are they cashing in on exactly?

8. Dawatticus

Have you guys actually watched the older episodes recently? Im HONESTLY getting the " rose tinted glasses " vibe from a lot of people here.....

Everyone ive spoken to, weve all watched the older episodes recently... , agrees that this " rubbish" is accurate red dwarf :-D Simple laughs, and a good story to follow.

p.s

I have to agree with Helliconia the fourth wall was broken years ago. PLUS ITS RED DWARF... since when did anything have to be explained, its just about the laughs in a sci fi setting.....Its hardly the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica where everything had to tie into everything else or we felt ripped off.................... ( + infinity on the ... )

9. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

I think episode one was standard beacuse its like watching 10 minutes of any episode it doesn't work. Episode two was one of the funniest i have ever seen and i hope part three finished off in similar style. Only thing i could of asked for is that Dave showed it all in one.

10. Helliconia

Helliconia Skutter

Whats the huge difference? They both break the 4th wall and make you realise they are just fictional characters. Anyway, i suggest we just wait till tommorow to see how it gets wrapped up before assuming stuff. I agree though, it did feel a little rushed but i imagine there wasnt much free time for Lister to wrench his soul over this new realisation. At the end of the day, its still funnier than 7 and 8 imo, so it cant lose.

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

^ Dan the man hits the nail on the head :-)

They may not be cashing in on anyhting as such but this just feels like a promo or cheesey 'red nose day' thing, a joke or lame Xmas special which are normally crappola, as said...Fools n Horses later Xmas specials.

This second episode totally contradicts Grant Naylor's aspirations of a serious sci-fi comedy or comedy with serious sci-fi elements, even Star Trek hasnt totally wiped itself out by claiming everything is all make believe inside the actual show!!
    RD has just shot itself in the head!!

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

thanks for the support. I actually did laugh, but several scenes were badly written and acted and it really spoils it for me to the point where as funny as these episodes could possibly be I wouldn't consider them part of the series but some bizarre spinoff.

13. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

I'm still holding out for a major and i mean major leaflet campain!!!

I have to keep the faith.. there will be a big twist in episode 3, its going to make it 'Red Dwarf' it has too...

14. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

Or your just too much into the Sci Fi genre and need to view red dwarf a little more light-hearted, like someone said simple laughs good story is what makes it good and it delivers

15. Dawatticus

16. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I dont understand why some of you are claiming this 'fourth wall' business, its RD yes, its pretty out there with sci-fi concepts yes, but dont you think this one is just a little too far? kinda killing the entire premise of the show? and an obvious begging letter to the banks (or whoever funds TV shows these days) for more money to make more shows? obviously someone doesnt think its worth making more RD and this is to try and change their minds.

Dont get me wrong...I did like the first part (kinda) and I had high hopes and loved the fact RD was back but this has just shot me down in flames and trampled me :x
    I dunno, maybe it depends on yr age, maybe younger fans like it hehe

17. Dukem737

Dukem737 Third Technician

A few cheap laughs? Red Dwarf features some of the best 'payoff' jokes I've ever seen. And I watch a lot of comedy.

Plus, I thought lots of the episodes were well written, and flowed well. Even the plots were suitably Sci-Fi without being unnecessarily complicated and unfunny. Future Echoes springs to mind.

18. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

The crew has accepted some pretty far-out premises in the past without any argument either.

Didn't Rimmer make up a whole race of aliens just because he found a drifting pod? No one even considered that Cassandra might be lying until the end of the episode either.

It's also pretty clear that these episodes are pressed for time, and the dialogue needed to express their disbelief and then overcome it would have eaten up too much of it. Plenty of times the boys act out of character in order to further the plot. It's pretty unlike Lister (especially for his characterization at the time) to figure out the test of preventing the cat from breaking his tooth in "Future Echoes," but he does because having Holly explain it would have been too time consuming. I don't know why their eagerness to accept that they're fictional is such a big deal, especially if they're under the influence of some psychotropic device/substance that could easily explain why they so easily accepted the existence of a sea monster in the water tank/sudden appearance of a new hologram/the fact that they're fictional.

I guess the big points here are
    1: This isn't unlike previous Red Dwarf events in its unbelievability, and besides, with Red Dwarf reinventing itself every series, it's hard to gauge what's "normal" for the show.
    2: There's still a third of the program left to go, and (for me anyway) the biggest laughs usually come at the end.

High Five? I'll give you fifteen!

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Of course it's different. We know they are fictional but within the show they are not. If they mention another show that doesn't prove that they are fictional within their own show. I mean they are just supposed to come from the same universe as us but in the future (or a universe close to ours where a lot of things are the same) They don't come from a universe where Red Dwarf was a show in the 90s just like star trek was. If they did, they'd have known they were fictional all along.

Mentioning other shows doesn't prove that the characters are fictional within their own show. In the reality of the show Star Trek is a show, but obviously Red Dwarf isnt.... I dunno, I give up.

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Dawa: how can you say that?? RD has tons of great writing in it, all through the series lifetime, great jokes, gags, pratfalls, sci-fi concepts and atouch of drama.

Rob: I do take RD lightly and I do enjoy it very much but this had no laughs, no enjoyment factor, the plot is laughable (yet not intented) and its now clear why they have done it, not for good RD episodes thats for sure.