Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

Possibly series TEN?!!!!!!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

Seriously too funny!!! love the cat!:lol:

stevie:-)

2. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

there is so gonna b another series after seein that, im so happy now

3. cj1008

cj1008 Skutter

back to earth follows on from series 9 and 10 !! OMG!!!!

4. CrunchbiteJr

CrunchbiteJr Skutter

This is cringeworthy, some of the dialogue is extremely laboured. Like the toilet joke though :lol:

5. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I loved tonights episode.
    Still can't wait to watch all of them together.

6. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

I cannot believe they've done this to me, why didnt doug just come round my house hang tenterhooks onto my ceiling and hang me up on them. now the plots opened up abit more i need some sort of hollyhop drive they were talking about to transport me to tommorrow night. all this talk of a new series is getting too much for my nerves, real impressed with what theyve done here. role on part 3

7. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

I'm amazed, this is brilliant!
    i love how Doug's cryptic messages are all starting to make sense!
    Roll on series 9, er.. 10!

8. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

well this has turned downhill even more. Breaking the fourth wall, realities where it had ten seasons, etc. Also somewhat annoying how the carbug reveal could have been a great shock moment, had they not shown it in every trailer from here to high noon.

They're not going to answer any of the plot holes, and it seems as if it will literally be "oh hi Grant, oh mighty god, look at your TV cameo, wow can we get more shows?" ...."maybe" end. It's begining to reek of terribly stale old cack, wallowing in their past prides and failures.

I.E them going on about Rimmer getting the directive wrong, it'd of been far funnier and ironic had he gotten it right, the way they did it, it just felt like they were repeating old jokes. Not to mention the tiresome ten minutes of annoying kids Telling Lister Kochanski isn't dead, wah wah, feelings feelings.

I'm all for feelings and sentiments, but save it for series nine, should you do one. This film is meant to be convincing us Red Dwarf should come back. So far its not done much of that.

Rip Red Dwarf. :-( Part three better be smegging awesome to change my mind.

9. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, how many thought of that plot. Much better than first episode and yes i did cry with laughter at one bit. Still loving it and canna wait for tomorrow

One bad thing.......

...........I HATE ADVERTS!!!!!!!!!! Roll on the dvd when hopefully it will all be in one go

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Does anyone have a rather large slice of humble pie I could have?

I can't believe how much better the second episode was. Gone were the CGI backdrops, and back were the great jokes. I couldn't breath during the scene in the comic book shop where Rimmer was getting Kryten to enhance a photograph. I now know why episode one looked like it had no money spent on it - all the budget went on episodes 2 and 3.

I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but being back on earth really works.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I can't believe how much better the second episode was. Gone were the CGI backdrops, and back were the great jokes. I couldn't breath during the scene in the comic book shop where Rimmer was getting Kryten to enhance the photograph. I now know why episode one looked like it had no money spent on it - all the budget's gone on episodes 2 and 3.

I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but being back on earth really works.

12. RohedinRD

RohedinRD Skutter

Wow, that was truly amazing, 100x better than Part 1, and I found Part 1 pretty good! The jokes in this were hilarious. Ah, where would sit-coms be without the occasional penis joke, eh? :P
    This episode was definitely par with the original Red Dwarf!
    The only people who don't find it funny just don't realise the jokes because of the lack of laughing track.
    Their mindframe I think is something along the line of..
    "K IMA GO WATCH TUP GAER ON DAVE"
    "WATSA RED DWURF NEW SEREEZ? IMA CHECK"
    "OMG RED DWURF SEREES 1 to 8 FUNNEH CUS I LAUGH WHEN DEM ODER PEOPLES LAUGH!"
    "CANT WAIT FUR RED DWURF BTE"
    "OMG DER IS NO PEEOPLES LAUGHIN?!?"
    "HOW MY BRAIN COMPREHEND WITTY HUMORS NOW?"

Yeah, just my opinion.

13. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

The first half was amazing! so funny, the second half was still great.

When Lister killed Katerina we were howling. :lol:

(I assume spoilers are ok in here since it's been on!)

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

First, it was a LOT funnier than part 1. I actually laughed out loud at quite a few gags, some of which were bloody brilliant.

But I gotta say some of this is the most horribly written stuff Doug has ever done. The way they just come to the conclusion that they are fictional characters and accept it in a few seconds. Really bad writing. In back to reality they were stunned. At least they were still real people, in this episode they're finding out they don't even really exist and they hardly seemed fazed... Cat's reaction was terrible. Likewise with the bit at the comic shop. The dude just accepts it's the real characters. Yeah it might be a joke but it didn't work for me and that actor was a bit crap.

The whole idea of them landing in this world where they are not only characters but also appearing in the very shows we are watching (despite there having been a 10th series which would surely mean Doug would be retiring the 10th series too unless there some huge plot twists going on) just feels so wrong. This feels like a spinoff, like a children in need special that has no relation to the proper red dwarf show.

I really hope that there can be another series and no mention is ever made of these events so that it can be a spin off (I'm trying to think of it a non cannon)

The bit with the kids was making me cringe apart from when the boy made the jokes about Titanic and Jesus, but even then, those jokes are so old. The whole "kochanski is alive bit" was so corny.

A LOT of Blade Runner references in this some of which were cool. Some gags were great, the zooming in on the picture, the lister tale of being in the bathroom, and a few others I can't remember. Cat had a couple of good bits.

Also I do realise I might change my opinion based on the 3rd part, but some of this was very uncomfortable viewing and I suspect seeing them in Coronation Street will be the same. I suppose the fact that a 10th series was mentioned added with all the other things means that this is not our earth. I actually think in the end it may turn out to be that the version of earth they land in is not real.... oh well, on to the next part, but at least it was funny which proves that Doug can maybe drag the series back to standard, but I sort of hope these episodes turn out to be a spinoff.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I can't believe how much better the second episode was. Gone were the CGI backdrops, and back were the great jokes. I couldn't breath during the scene in the comic book shop where Rimmer was getting Kryten to enhance the photograph. I now know why episode one looked like it had no money spent on it - all the budget's gone on episodes 2 and 3.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I found this episode a bit disappointing after the brilliant part 1. It just didn't feel like Red Dwarf to me and had few good jokes.

I'll have to give it a second watch and see if I like it better, but I think I'd place it in my all-time ten least favourite episodes.

17. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Loved tonight's segment. I had an inkling as to how the story would turn out, especially when Katerina uttered "We're not real". I kind of saw it coming. The plot was a little more fleshed out in this one I think, and I loved all the Blade Runner moments. I'm watching Smeg Ups now and will probably watch part two when it rolls around again.

I was a little annoyed before it started, as I knew it would be 10 minutes of Dwarf, followed by 5 minutes of ads, and roughly another 10 minutes of Dwarf, but tonight's seemed to feel a little longer. I still think they should have shown all three parts as one feature-length episode. Did Doug want it feature-length? Would Dave not schedule it?

I loved the subtle moments, like when Katerina was hammering away at the keyboard, then drags her elbow across it :-)

18. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

This part made baby Jesus cry.

There were quite a few funny jokes, but all ruined by the cringeworthy hideous pain of watching my favourite sci-fi show revival being turned into an 'ironic' self-referential disaster.

I was hoping they'd get a new series out of this. I have not yet managed to work out how they're going to do this by not actually taking the opportunity to make a Proper Episode of Red Dwarf!

I've liked this show pretty much since it started and I'm going to have to FORCE myself to watch it tomorrow in the desperate hope that part three is better. I'm not feeling optimistic but am going to pray I'm wrong :-(

19. ldobson

ldobson Skutter

I really enjoyed the second episode, and think it was 100% improvement on the first. I think though that each episode needed to be either 45 minutes or an hour in length as that 24 minutes is clearly not long enough to establish any kind of story. I would think Dave would not have commisioned this special unless they are at least considering a new series, hopefully Dave and GNP are reading the feedback from the forums to see where improvements can be made and listen to the RD fan base.

20. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Much funnier than part 1, the electronics store was hilarious, the two kids talking to Lister scene was TOO long but acceptable.
    Funny moments and i'm hoping, hoping for some plot twists in episode 3. I don't want it too be "Hello craig, wheres doug?" "He's over there" "okay... Hi doug we wanna werite" "oh ok" *BACK ON DWARF* THE END, im sure it won't be.