Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

His next tweet was: "I must rise above the slings and arrows. Hommmmmmmmmmmmm".

Clearly when you've worked hard on something for over twenty years, then so-called fans give you a bollocking, that's gonna hurt. Zero tolerance for mindless slating in my book. These guys deserve our respect, and if we're being even vaguely sensitive and human we might even have a nice thing or two to say, and save the moaning until the series has actually finished. ;-)

2. bigwillch

bigwillch Skutter

Hello all. Another new user here.

I was a HUGE Red Dwarf fan as a kid, up until series 7 which killed it for me. Series 8 was even worse in my opinion. As such I really didn't have high hopes for these new episodes at all, and hadn't been paying any attention to the build up to it (I actually only remembered it was on at the last minute, and put down the xbox controller in time to catch it).

I've got to say I've been really pleasantly surprised! The first episode surprised me by not making me want to vomit, and the second episode surprised me by actually making me laugh. I didn't see the forth wall thing coming at all and found it really enjoyable (I love all that postmodern type of nonsense), plus a nice way to pay homage to the show's history.

Not really sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about the forth wall stuff. Red Dwarf's always used ridiculously flimsy sci-fi themes as a device to tell jokes, and yesterday's episode had some great jokes. I agree the lack of laughter track took some getting used to, mainly because the acting and the script seemed to still be designed for laughter track (who knows, maybe it was a last minute decision not to include it).

Really looking forward to the Coronation Street crossover tonight. I'm hoping Craig Charles totally lampoons himself if we get to see him playing himself.

3. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

But the actors can really only work with the material they are given. I don't think we are saying THEY were bad, just that they were handed a bit of a lemon in terms of the script, the production values, the budget and the timescale. I'm sure you can see it in Craig's eyes at one point, espeically in the scene with the kids on the bus. I don't think even he believes the story is working.

You can't make a silk purse etc etc....

I'm sure the actors will find it difficult to be objective about something they have been so heavily involved in, but for my money none of the negative comments have been refelections on thier work, just that poor circumstances have produced a less than impressive result. I don't think we could have expected any of them to turn down the chance to work on the show again (especially as none of them seem to have much other work on that's at the same level as the Dwarfer days) but I would have thought that even Kryters would accept that its a little below par.

Still not long to wait for the finale now. I think we all know what it'll be though don't we?

I'm certainly going to be hiding behind the sofa, but not for the same reasons as when I was 11 and Dr Who was on. I'm dreading the scene where Lister meets the Corrie playing Craig Charles. That's going to be awwwwwwfullll!!

4. joshmartin

joshmartin Skutter

thankyou for more dwarf!!! thought the 2nd was especially good, only hope the third can top it off!!!! shame about the laughter track missing though, i felt that the laughter gave it that 'classic comedy' feel, but i suppose that RD can survive as a comedy show in the modern world of television!!!

got to say, with stuff like 'little britain' and random bbc3 comedys boring the nation, RD, even though is like 20+ years old feels like a breath of fresh air!!!

GO DAVE- KEEP MAKING THEM :-)

5. THEBRIT

THEBRIT Third Technician

I loved the part where rimmer pushed katerina into the road, IMO that moment joins the 'best of' red dwarf moments.

6. joshmartin

joshmartin Skutter

NOT CLASSIC DWARF?!?!?!

all of it was there!! if you skip over the fact that listers a bit miserable after kachanskis death, youve got left a sit-com based on sci-fi comedys and is very charecters based. they included all the same jokes; reference to modern day britain, long original wittisisms, charecter moments (rimmer pushing the lady into a bus haha!!), the crazyness of the plot (coronation st!)

WOOP WOOP-GO DWARF!!

7. Mozoishere

Just goes to show you can add all the right ingredients but without the magic touch of the right chef, the souffle still won't rise

8. davemint

davemint Skutter

Loved the episode. Cant wait for number 3! Bring on series 10!:-D:-D:-D:-D

9. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

*claps*
    well done jerks, you've made robert llewellyn sad. i hope you're really proud of yourselves.
    now, these specials....
    personally i thought series 8 was better than 7, neither as good as before. the hook for the show had been lost, losing rimmer in 7 especially killed the dynamic, the frisson between the characters. these specials, too, lack that, and some of the cameraderie.
    it is, however, wonderful to see them back, the guys look great and there are hints of the old magic. This being so, it's a crying shame that so much screen time and so many lines have been given to an RD fan and some kids on a bus. The plot, as many others have mentioned, has played out so far like the LoG film. If these are truly the last Red Dwarf episodes ever made, it would have been nice for them to involve the classic RD scenario- 4 guys forced together in dangerous deep space, flying by the seat of their pants, moulded in adversity into a formidable crew possessed of the strength and fortitude of one average nine-year-old.

if there are to be more episodes, it would be great to have naylor and grant write together again, or even some guest collaborators. there are, i'm sure, some very talented red dwarf fans working in comedy today. i do not buy that the show has *evolved*, i certainly don't see any subtle humour, and long may that be so. a studio audience could have brought more out of the performance, possibly, but stepping back into these characters was a tremendously brave thing to do and they have all, especially Cat, risen to the challenge.
    The bad stuff:
    I hate the plot and have no interest in seeing *Red Dwarf meets Corrie*. The line where Rimmer mentions the banking crisis: cringeworthy, GCSE standard *topical* writing. Not enough dialogue and interaction for the leads. Rushing Kochanski's death into it so fast it's barely registered before she clearly turns up (this will probably be the *actress* chloe annett and therefore *poignant*). too many lines to characters other than the core- we've waited ten years, and not to watch children on buses talking to lister!! some really flat *ironic/self-referential* stuff. not close to as clever as it thinks it is. space core joke.
    The good stuff:
    They've hardly aged! Definitely look good enough to appear in new episodes. *That's star trek!* psi-scan. Zoom sequence. Anything Cat does or says. kryten in disguise. i want to find out what happens next. tentacles. big suze. rimmer killing big suze.

10. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Who made Robert Llewellyn sad? And where?

I would like to send a message to Bobby.

11. cosmicmonkey

i assume the *slings and arrows* he's talking about on twitter relate to some overly negative feedback on the new dwarf episodes on forums such as this.

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

He doesn't seem sad though. Just rising above it.

13. cosmicmonkey

true. it just seemed a good way of reminding people on this forum that comments flat-out slating the new eps were going to get back to the people they are supposedly huge fans of, which might make them think twice before offering self-pitying *it's not the second coming of jesus, even though they're easter specials, i hate it they've betrayed me*-type reviews.

14. connell

connell First Technician

I loved it. I was worried about them carrying off the fake thing badly but it was great!! and from when I saw that picture of the Nose making guy on the website before I thought he was a simulant!! I recon they did that whole scene and put it up online early to trick us. Come on, A dirty guy who looks like a Robot who works in a dark cold lab and the dwarfers all grabbing him as if he'd done something wrong.

15. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

I'm worried... If BTE part 2 lost over half of the viewers from the previous night will this mean no more episodes are made?? I knew part 2 wouldnt get as many viewers but didnt expect it to dip below the 1 million mark.. This is VERY worrying!:-(

16. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Fantastic episode, although all the references to Serives IX and X make me sad... I want to see them!!!!

17. merts123

merts123 Skutter

Thought the 1st ep was a bit wierd, without the laughter, but soon got used to it. Funny.
    The 2nd ep had me with tears in my eyes and my daughter asking me to keep it down 'cos she couldn't hear it. Heh heh heh:lol: Bring on the 3rd ep, hopeffully the trend continues and it's even better.

Critically I would have liked the spontaneous audience laughter but I am well aware that it would be impossible with the set up as it is now. I thought the whole thing was a bit forced at first, but on second viewing (and getting over the shock of the ageing process:lol: )it appears it was me seeing it wrong, and it all flowed better. Def'ntl'y better on second viewing, funnier too.

Here's to tonight!:-)

18. Mozoishere

Making actors sad? Come on, they're used to it. I'm sure nothing that we can say will match what so called professional pundits will say when its all over. Some will like it, some won't - them's the breaks and they know it. Then they move on to the next job. If actors are going to get sensitive about criticsm then they can always ignore it just like they're taught to in drama school.

19. Cyberwoman

Cyberwoman Skutter

Another fantastic part to Back to Earth and much better then Ep 1 I think.

The chartaers are as great as ever and I love the idea that there in the "real world" now and theres was fake, cant wait til they meet there actor selfs! The whole episode had a better pase then ep 1, and I want a carbug! :-D

Only problem, only a few scenes with Katerina but im hopeing she will have a bigger part in ep 3 :-)

20. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

What a horrid thing to say.

Your snide remarks about 'drama school' (to which the cast, incidentally, did not go) say far more about you than they do about the cast. Deliberately not being measured or diplomatic because you think that the person can take it is, quite frankly, tantamount to bullying. In fact what you're saying is worse than that: it's not that you think they should be able to take vitriolic criticsm. You seem to be suggesting that whether or not they CAN take the criticsm, they SHOULD be able to take the criticism. "Oh I beat him up because I thought he wouldn't mind" is a frivolous and ridiculous excuse for not being civil enough to phrase things sensitively.

It is perfectly possible to phrase criticsm in a way that doesn't hurt. Blaming other people for being hurt by something you've written is foul.