Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

We're all entitled to our opinions. It stopped amazing me a while back that I hate things that other people seem to love. e.g. I hated the new Survivors revival but other love it, I detest Torchwood, but its on its second series.

I think all the reasons for disliking the BTE episodes have been set out but many others on here. Its writing is poor, the positioning of the characters is weak, you just don’t buy that there's any real jeopardy comedic or otherwise. I also can't make out much of a storyline although I agree with most others that its probably a warmed over reworking of 'Back to reality'.

The thing that really kills it for me though is the 4th wall stuff. In fact with the name checking of the station its more like they've demolished the wall and built a patio in your front room. It just completely ruined the fantasy element of the show and that's what has always driven it in my opinion.

Its always suspended disbelief so well in the past, its in the perfect position as a tongue in cheek comedy in a sci-fi environment where they can simply invent any scenario or device to move the plot forward, sideways or upside down. So why in the midst of that would you choose to plonk them back on current day earth, and have them self referencing themselves so repetitively, when once or twice should be enough to build up some tension. Then throw in the kitchen sink with all the Blade Runner stuff, Coronation Street, the potential that they are going to further destroy the illusion by having the characters 'meet' themselves in another REAL current TV show and its just too sad for words.

I'll go along with pushing the envelope but this is going to crash and burn, sorry but it just is. Its completely out of step with what the whole thing was about and its stinks of a cheap shot by a minor TV station and a writer desperate to breathe life back into what is probably the only thing he'll ever be remembered for.

If it really was done for ‘the fans’ I think someone, at some point, somewhere, should have taken a step back and realised that we deserve better than this. Perhaps if they hadn’t been so bloody rushed by Dave someone would have.

But that's my definition of a travesty I guess. Other definitions of equal or better value are also available.

2. Mozoishere

Sorry? Where was I parodying you? I think using words like 'horrid' are parody enough and you didn't need any help from me.

The power of words depends entirely on the context, the context here is a board of fans who will all have their own strong opinions. None of us individually are particularly important, its pretty well balanced and I'm sure nothing that I or anyone else could have said that was negative could have that much of an impact on a professional actor. If so he could take just as much heart from all those who have poured unquestioning praise on the latest incarnation of the show.

To claim anything else is simple affectation in an attempt to characterise anyone who makes even the slightest negative comment as some kind of bullying thug, with no right to his or her own opinion. No one has said anything that hurtful on this thread so claiming some sort of deep wounding is just plain exaggeration. I’m sure all the cast are well used to both negative and positive criticism and treat both those imposters just the same.

But here's the spooky thing, you went to drama school too and I also have a Masters and a postgraduate qualification in experimental Psychology!! Who'd have thunk it? Didn’t know neuropsychologists took the Hippocratic oath though, or what that would have to do with a discussion about theatrical critique.

3. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

Why am I getting the feeling that we'll start seeing the first evidence of certain red dwarf technologies in this new 'real' reality, like hologram/spaceship etc tech.

...and then we see the actual birthplace of lister, and the ouroboros box. And then Red Dwarf starts actually happening for real, not just in a tv show. And then series 10 will be this new 'real' crew...

4. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

*WARNING, POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT*
    Interesting how events were set up in such a way that Rimmer ended up with squid ink on his head even though he hadn't been in the tank with the others, suggesting it was necessary for him to come into contact with the ink perhaps so that they could all experience the same mass hallucination?

5. e4tmyl04d

e4tmyl04d Third Technician

You are certainly not ;D
    It was abit odd at first, but i really didnt mind.

6. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

that's clever.

7. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Could be something you're smoking... ;-):lol:

Sorry, no offence meant, jusk joking. That is an interesting theory, almost like the planet of the apes films

8. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

I noticed that too - every single one of them came into contact with the squid juice that was getting sprayed around. And I mean they didn't have to put a big streak of it on Rimmer's forehead, but there it was.

9. cosmicmonkey

in that case (SPOILER IF I'M RIGHT!) the twist must be

that their universe is real, and ours isn't. right? it's cheeky, although it won't exactly blow my mind if that's what happens.

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah I posted this idea somewhere on this baord. It would be cheeky! But I'm now at the stage where whatever happens this will always be a spinoff show for me

11. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

I'd be happy with that. :-)

12. chaffinch

*That's my guess. Which would personally make me somewhat happier about the new plotline.

13. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Differences aside, this is an amazing coincidence.

Neuropsychologists don't take the Hippocratic Oath. But I have recently retrained as a doctor. Hope to be fully qualified in 8 weeks time. Where did you train?

See, I'm easily side-tracked from an argument...

14. cosmicmonkey

i'm watching it as a curio, with immense fondness for the guys on screen. needed more time on the script/ a plot and script editor, a SECOND PERSON WRITING!!!, but it's fun. and it's got my going back to watch the episodes i haven't really bothered with (season 7 and 8, liking 8 more so far).

15. chaffinch

PS *SECOND POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT*
    In interview Doug said that their wouldn't be a series 10 but he hoped that there would be an series 11, suggesting that the episode 10 refered to in Back to Earth part 2 is not something that's ever going to happen as part of the Red Dwarf story. It's just part of the hallucination.

16. cosmicmonkey

or they're going to ask for the previous series or two to be wiped out so kochanski doesn't die, which would explain the long absence of the show from our screens in time for series 11?

17. Mozoishere

North East London Polytechnic (as it was then), that became The Polytechnic of East London and then became the University of East London so never an easy way to answer that question. Postgrad at Cranfield Insititute of Technology as part of a department called Technology Assessment and Applied Psychology (probably not there now) It was part of the school of aeronautics of all things and involved us doing stuff for the MOD that I was never that comfortable about, but they paid my grant. It was originally run by a Crazeeee haired guy called Tay Wilson who designed most of Toronto's traffic systems apparently (although he left in the middle of the course citing Thatcher as his reason for going back to Canada). I also worked with Len Holdstock back in London on signal detection theory and subliminal hearing thresholds and Aston Martin on early development work for digital dashboards.

Drama was at Rose Bruford school in Sidcup as part of link up with my schools drama department.

Looks like I'm easily diverted as well then - It is just a scifi show after all :-)

18. evelyn

evelyn Third Technician

To all the RD doubters out there - don't forget they had a very small budget and only had 14 days to film the 3 specials so, for me, in that small space of time they did an excellent job! - I think the crew should raise money for the new series by asking the RD fans to become shareholders - whether that be £100 a head or higher, I'm sure they would generate a good deal of money - I would certainly put some money into the pot if I could get a credit in the end titles :-)

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well he said there wouldn't be a series NINE but there might be seies TEN. perhaps he meant 10 and 11 instead.

20. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Wow.

I really enjoyed Part I, as it really felt like Red Dwarf of old.

That said, I *can't stand* meta-stuff.

Part II was *abysmal*. Awful. Rubbish. Smeg.

A cheap ripoff of Blade Runner and characters coming out of the TV. How original.

Where's Rob Grant when you need him!?