Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

2. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

I think that's where the bulk of the criticsm should go in my mind. Dave don't really seem to have been that comitted in terms of actual dosh and it shows. Also the timescale was rushed. Although perhaps Doug Naylor should have walked away if the proper funding wasn't there.

The idea of subscription episodes is not a bad one though. Its being done by a lot of bands these days, although the budget for a TV show would be a lot higher of course. It could be a way of getting something started though and possobly involve other contributions from larger organistations later on. I'm all for it being scaled back to the original ropey production values of the first series, I think they lost a lot when they slicked it up later on.

3. cossie123

cossie123 Skutter

i had to laugh when they drove up coronation street, then something hit me, there were people waiting for a bus there and isnt coronation street on a set,so how did the car get there???

4. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

I agree with frog_girl their just 30 min adverting campaigns for Dave, they remind me of the orange adverts, where the guys from the orange ruin the films their producing to advertise orange, but Dave really has done that to Red Dwarf, are they really that much of a stupid and trashy channel, to think they'd get away with that, they should take a leaf out of BBC's book and a have a little class, 9 yr's and never did they use a single min of an ep to advertise themselves, it's completely out of character.

5. bigwillch

bigwillch Skutter

God, considering the unbelievable amount of moaning coming from people who are getting these episodes for free can you imagine the outcry you'd get from fans who felt the show wasn't exactly what they wanted if they actually paid for the production?

6. Mozoishere

Fair point

7. makkeroy

makkeroy Skutter

Hi guys,

Well, the characters have matured, the story has matured and so has the production. All we need now is for some of the original fans to do the same and we'll get Red Dwarf back on our screens.

I think the problem for some of the original fans (that don't like these specials) is that they have just realised they are not the target market anymore and they can't handle that.

Red Dwarf has moved on and is picking up a new generation of fans. If old fans want to get left behind, let them.

You have a new bus now and I want a first class ticket please!

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I don't think there's much problem with the money, the shows look great and even if they didn't that wouldn't worry me. For me plot, acting and laughs are the key. Episode 2 had laughs but some horrible plot and acting. Plus the plugging of merchandise and channel Dave. That might be Dave's fault though.

9. Mozoishere

Charming! I'll just shuffle off and die now then shall I?

10. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

there is nothing mature about the new red dwarf, the *sit* has been handled amateurishly, and the *com* has included lister recounting cleaning his bum in a sink and drying it on a hand-dryer!! where on earth has this idea come from that the show has matured or, that catch-all meaningless term for a long-running show, *evolved*?!?

11. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

SIMILARITY TO DOUGLAS ADDAMS SOUTHBANK SHOW SPECIAL WITH DRAMA ELEMENTS
    Besides the references to Blade Runner has anyone else noticed the similarity Back to Earth has to an episode of the South Bank show about Douglas Addams which featured drama elements where his own characters found themselves in our world? Heres a link to a part of the show where the similarity is most visiable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6293Lb3FlY&feature=related
    *try watching from 5:08

12. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

From the same place as the idea that Lister is a slob.

(PS I loved last night's episode)

13. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I can see now why they ditched the laugh track for this specific plot.

But I wonder whether there should have been canned laughter in episode 1 and none in episode 2. That might have made the meta-transition even more obvious and paved the way for removing laughter in future series.../

14. cosmicmonkey

could you explain your first comment? i don't understand. he's always been a slob, so that's no evolution. it's funny, but it's not mature.

15. cosmicmonkey

that would have been really cool, and pretty unsettling!!!

16. sampledred

or a great display of the lower level in intelligence of the "new generation", willing to accept poorly written lowbrow trash comedy, I find most comedy lately has been leading to this, I mean can you really compare comedy today to the likes of blackadder, faulty towers, Monty python and red dwarf? it's just the fan's didn't want to see what was once a great show turned in to trash too, just for the sake of Dave turning it in to a cash cow, to attract the new lovers of trash comedy. I for one would rather have left it untouched, than do this to it, its just a cheap tart now.

making it lowbrow is not evolution.

17. cosmicmonkey

there's been lots of great comedy in the last decade. early mighty boosh, black books, and peep show spring to mind from the british sitcom end. i don't think it's fair to have a go at a load of people you don't know, a mythical "new generation" you think are idiots, especially considering that whoever these specials are aimed at they lost over half their audience between the first episode and the second. it would appear that people are not willing to stick with the specials, although i'm not going to slag them off completely like you since clearly artistic compromises have had to be made due to budget and time constraints.

18. hammer67

hammer67 Skutter

So disapointed with every aspect of the first 2 episodes , the plot is poor and it just isn't funny .

19. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

This idea that someone isn't mature if they don't like something that you like is really egotistical and snobby.

I bet you sit around all day drinking wine! NEVER beer....just wine!

It's not about whether you're a "target audience".

It's about writing that is funny, which Pt. II wasn't.

It's about not having a show which was once genuinely funny (and I thought Pt. I was) dressed up and pimped out as a 20 minute commercial for a TV network.

Not accepting any rubbish thrown at us means we're more mature than you, smeg for brains.

20. sampledred

I said "most" not all, their is still well written comedy being produced but their is also a lot of immature trash too