Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

i was just responding to your "can you really compare comedy today with...." which sounded to me as if you thought you couldn't, that was all! no offence meant. i think there has always been trash, but it falls by the wayside. except two pints. there's NO reason for two pints....

2. sleepasylum

sleepasylum Third Technician

well i own blade runner on blu ray and consider it one of my top 5 films of all time. i even did a university piece re-scoring the film. I understand there are blade runner references, but they are pretty lame to be honest.

3. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

Lol I for one love peep show, ooo and ideal too. :-D

4. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

not seen ideal, johnny vegas right? i'll check it out. love peep show also, amazed it's lasted for an almost Dwarf-like amount of time- this isn't how British sitcoms usually work!

5. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

lol :-D

6. FelisSapiens

FelisSapiens Third Technician

I honestly dis agree..I enjoyed pt 2 more and I thought it was funny....I think I also understand the dropped background laughter now. Took getting used to. I cant wait for pt 3 tonight..!

7. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Trying to take the moral highground by resorting to slagging off people who like pt 2 isn't very mature in my personal opinion.
    It seems to me there's a split between people who thought pt 1 was a mediocre shadow of classic red dwarf but felt part 2 had more wit and energy to it and those who felt pt 1 was classic red dwarf and pt 2 was somehow a travesty as it was an attempt to try something different.

8. sampledred

yeah, johnny vegas, it's worth a watch

9. sleepasylum

sleepasylum Third Technician

the only one that is subtle is the last because it is slightly elusive and more difficult to detect humour. esp if you have no knowledge of the BBC. the others are not subtle they are one line jokes.

10. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

I'm surprised by how many people are getting upset about one line mentioning Dave. Really, the whole show is tarnished and ruined because it name-dropped the channel it's on once? Personally, I found the premise about going to find their creators to beg for more show to be pretty amusing. I think Doug is taking potshots at himself for spending ten years going around at BBC begging for series IX or the movie to be made.

11. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

Change is good, all things must change a bit if they are wanting to stay relevent to their audience,after all we can all agree that humour (like the public perception of "beauty") changes with time and fashion.
    Embracing change is a good idea for RD but that does not excuse what has so far been a poorly written episode so far (part three may well save it all..Though I will be suprised if it manages to clean the slate of what has been two painful parts so far ;-)

I think it is a good thing that so many people are registering to express their opinion and engage in open discussion and debate about the new episode, it shows that people care about RD.
    And even negative reactions are a good thing when they are pointing out what a portion of the RD fanbase and audience are thinking, you cannot make a healthy tv program/series with nothing but positive feedback.

What people need to do though is remember that those who dislike the the first two parts of this new episode (me for one, though I can appreciate the good points, I just feel that they do not counter the bad points so far) are not saying they hate RD or want it destroyed never to be seen on tv again.
    In a lot of cases they are here seeking understanding and answers to questions, answers you can only get by putting your opinions forwards first :-)

Sure we have been told that we would hate the episode after part 2 and that part three would change our minds, but that does not resolve the obvious quality issues we have seen so far, the at times clunky and ham fisted camera direction/use and rather poor writing and direction that failed to take advantage of what could of been some fantastic funny moments.

12. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

I miss Rob Grant.

And Ed Bye. :-(

13. greggt89

greggt89 Skutter

hi

im new to this forum.

im enjoying the new red dwarf episodes. im not treating it as a series but as a special treat for fans on the anniversary.
    i was not happy with episode 1, not any really funny moments but a few chuckles there. the 2nd episode was much better. there were some geniunly laugh out loud moments. one to list is Rimmer pushing Katrianna into the path of a fast car. looking forward to episode 3!

14. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

^^ I like Keir's idea there about the laughter track, nice.

As for all these people that havent even seen Blade Runner :roll: for gods sake do so, I dont see how you can even understand half of episode 2 and its homage without even seeing it :?

I think for RD to move forward in a decent way, the channel 'Dave' needs to be 'extracted' from the deal.

As for the comment on RD appealing to a younger gen now lol really? I doubt it hehe seeing as the actual cast at their age have no real appeal to the younger gen anyway and most youngsters these days probably dont even know of RD.

Im still amazed at Grant Naylor's plot choice for these specials, even if this turns out to be a dream or another computer game etc...the story could of been so much better, just look at Back to Reality, the endless possibilities.
    They could of easily done something with the Back to Reality concept, use Jake, Dwayne etc.. and made an extension of what happened to them whilst in that virtual game. They were suppose to have been in the 'game' for some time so why not expand on the adventures of Jake Bullet and the gang.
    Maybe a short series on the Cat Wars?

The fact they went with a story that envolved the inclusion of Coronation Street is just so weak, so tacky and foremost clearly a marketing ploy of some kind. I really cant see how most fans here arent seeing this!!!

The inclusion of the 'we are fake characters' story can work but the major slip up for me was making it based in our time, wasted oppertunity.

15. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

I sent Robert some negative feedback on Twitter, but my conscience is crystal clear. He's wasted no opportunity on Twitter between endless plugs for Carpool in telling us how very funny these new "Last Of The Summer Smeg" episodes were going to be, and when the first two have turned out to be anything but, it's only to be expected that a few of us will take the same recourse to freedom of expression to point that out. Caveat: no excuse for being rude to him about it of course; I don't condone that.

Bottom line - if you're responsible for making a poor product, whatever it is, people have a right to express their disdain, and will.

16. makkeroy

makkeroy Skutter

Funny you should mention, I've just discovered a Chablis, Georges Pico 2004

An utterly reliable white Burgundy, with an appealing buttery style.

17. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Been thinking a bit more about what i liked so much more about pt 2 than pt 1 and it struck me that pt 1 was too much of a rehash.
    Kryten 'innoccent whistle mode' rather than lie mode, smug mode etc. Rimmer's awful cowardice speech where you know he's going to stay behind. Cat's shallowness etc. It all seemed a bit tired. The best moment for me in pt 1 was was the build up and punch line to lister's sneeze ironing.

I felt at least the 2nd part had a bit more observational humour and original build up.
    Dvd/video explantion had a quirky originality that i want from red dwarf.
    Lister's public toilet humour was well executed.
    Rimmer's 3 parter complaint
    Rimmers photograph analysis
    didn't see rimmer pushing other hologram in front of the car coming. Was expected standard rimmer cowardly giving her the finger behind her back.
    Kid's titanic line
    even the psy scan moment from salesman's point of view and then kryten's attempted rationalisation of the psy scan results had some merit
    There were still some clunky moments but a lot more moments where i was laughing out loud than pt 1.

Here's hoping tonight's conclusion is excellent.

18. sampledred

well said Quiche, I adore Red Dwarf, and have been desperately awaiting a new series, was absolutely gutted when the film didn't happen, but like a lot of fans feel this just didn't make the standards we've come to expect after 9 years of great episodes, and by voicing the negative feedback means the writers can see what the fan's did and didn't like learn from this and develop, kissing its butt is not gonna raise the bar, it's pointless.

I think I can safely say that millions of fans old and new want to see more dwarf made (proved by massive viewing numbers even after the first episode got pretty badly slated) and if Dave's producers have half a brain, they'll see just how many ppl are passionate about red Dwarf and that they could make a lot of money off this if it handled right. But we need to tell them what is not working about the new show's or viewing numbers are gonna fall off and the show won't have a long term future.

19. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Well Pt. II made me sad, so I guess we're even. Though it wasn't on purpose.

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I think the boys should of 'jumped' into Jez and Marks world of Peep Show hehe now that would of been cool, Jez n Lister both driving Rimmer nuts 8)
    Mark n Rimmer arguing over pointless trivia endlessly LOL maybe get Johnson onboard to work with Kryten whilst Super hands can 'create' tunes with Cat haha
    sweeeeet:lol: