Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I found it much funnier than the 1st episode, i'm not sure about the plot though. I'm not sure I like the idea of them running about on the real earth. Still I am looking forward to watching tomorrow and i'm expecting a plot twist to tie the thing together and make the special as a whole great.

2. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

just remembered what else annoyed me. The whole "you have a channel named after you" what is this, Red Dwarf Presents Dave? If this ends with them pleading for season 11, etc it'l be really stupid. Not to mention tarnishing any future series, with them always knowing its a Tv show.

I suppose it wont change things too much, but it still complicates it by the characters knowing. Breaking the fourth wall is always a mess. It's okay if its just a one off line, then its back to normal, but when its an entire story based around it, well. it doesn't bode well with me.

too long, didn't read? Red Dwarf is pissing me off at breaking the fourth wall.

3. Gouldberg

Gouldberg Skutter

Well, i gave last nights ep a rating of 7 but tonights was just wow. Has to be rated 8.5 out of 10. I was laughing every couple of minutes just like an old episode of RD. The humour was very typical of the old stuff and the storyline is although confusing leaving a lot in the air for series 9/10. I love the idea of them giving away little tiny plot points for future episodes, and i do very hope in episode 3 of this trilogy they say the show will go to episode 500 lol. Once again it is lovely to see RD back on tv and although the episodes seem to end very abruptly when i'm fully into the show i understand it is a longer show split into 3, so that's fine.

Very very happy so far, especially now KK might not be dead. If i see her in the next episode or in future series (if there are any) i'm sure my old crush on her will resurface extremely quickly haha.

My love of this show is still strong, well done guys :-)

4. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

coupla moments i want to point out which i think are significant:

1) In the beginning, Kryten never got to finish his explanation of why katerina had no personality flaws, having being interrupted by Rimmer's 'lets frame her' comment.

2) What was up with those little origami things cat was making?

3) why could lister read the chinese writing?

5. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Again, only was almost funny.

The jokes fell flat, acting was cringe-worthy and really it was just painful.

Okay the kids were kinda cute but the moment went on too long and yeah.

I was more interested by it but in an "OMG what the **** is this?" kinda of way, not in a good way.

Worse the part 1 in my opinion.

6. High_Low

High_Low Skutter

I didn't think it was that bad
    I like the idea of it.
    (come who wouldn't want the red dwarf guys to be real!?)
    So yeah i Liked it

I not liek red dwarf we used to love, it not as good but they could of donre a lot worse.

7. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I really loved that episode. I would honestly put it in the top 10 episodes. The only thing I thought could have been better was how long it took to show them all being sucked through the portal, seemed a bit repetitive, but other than that it was absolutely great. Some classic Dwarf jokes in there.

The zooming in scene was great, and the stuff about the psi-scan :-D

I do agree the Carbug could have been a much bigger surprise and laugh had we not all seen it 100 times, but at least it wasn't an incredibly cheap and tacky way of getting around not having a Starbug like we feared. It actually made sense and was still funny to see.

I can't wait for tomorrow! It wouldn't surprise me if the ending is confirmation if we'll get a new series or any more episodes or not. Also wouldn't surprise me if this isn't our Earth, and the series 9 and 10 thing is throwing a red herring in to get us fans excited.

At least that should appease some of the people complaining about series 8 cliffhanger not being explained among other things!

8. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

I think that everyone is loosing sight of what it is we are actually watching.... We are watching a 21st anniversary special, NOT series IX, and as such we should treat it like a special... after all, we all remember Red Dwarf Night... this is much the same only in the form of a 3-part special. I repeat, it is NOT series IX. get over it people, enjoy it for what it is, a special!!!:-D

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

He wasn't saying anything about that.... he said he couldn't find any, and "you know what that means". IE Rimmer has to be erased.

10. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I think for everyone who hasn't watched Blade Runner, now would be a good time to see it.

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

1 - I just thought that was Kryten about to say that Rimmer would be termintaed

2 - It's from Blade Runner

12. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

oh yeah and mocking the psi scan, god its all gotten too self referencing, too terrible. I'm sure I also heard that this special would be classed as series 9 and the new series would be called series ten. so yeah. odd.

13. saenbateman

saenbateman Skutter

We all have to keep in mind all the difficulty in making this special. The actors had no rehearsal time, so they will have below average acting. The budget so poor quality and no help off other writers that they had in series 7 and 8.

I'm supporting this as much as possible to see a series 9 and if that's not good I will say it's the end of Red Dwarf. :-D
    So far I'm liking back to earth and it's really good, I'm not even going to measure it against the old series because of what I said.

14. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

I have to say aswell, I absolutely loved the 'bunkroom' scene, with Rimmer reading the carpet samples. :lol:

15. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

Interesting. I strongly believe the origami however its spelt that Cat did has significance to the pyramid in the thames and its jsut an alternative reality where they its a tv show. etc like they thoguht it was a game in back to reality type episode. But wasnt there rumors that a series 9 script was done n bbc didint want to know. so im presuming that'll tie things together with cliffhanger of series 8 etc i shouldn't wonder. Cos its been writen n half the movie been filmed kind of so.. hmm interesting stuff well done!

16. tarch96

tarch96 Skutter

Hey, everyone is throwing in their 2 cents, and I guess I am not going to be any different.

The internet is a great feed back tool, but its major problem seems to be it'll allow anyone to publish their instant opinion. Not something that has developed over time, through analysis, thinking, and consideration.
    As a long term RD fan its actually quite saddening to see some of the extremely negative views shouting Boycott! and I wonder if the Internet wasn't around if people would take the time to see the shows for what they are rather than being instantly negative.

I absolutely loved the first b2E episode, and think the 2nd has been excellent. Its starting to answer some of our questions, and posing some exciting new ones . . we're getting a high indication of series 10!!!!
    It would seem to me the show has has been written to sit in between the all series, and completely separate itself from the existing RD universe. Remember for every 1 hardcore RD fan there's probably 10 who like it but don't remember the specifics, and 20 more who don't careless. If they're trying to raise support to make a movie and another series its not a good idea to isolate the possible audience by pandering to us minority. . . so what better than setting in a dimension, which has no consequence or effect on the existing RD status quo! (or at least that's how the whole situation appears at the moment)

Anyway, by chance someone involved in the show happens to read this comment - cheers for making it, well done on the brave plot so far, love the Lister in the public toilet joke, and the fact the discussion took place in a miniature 'bunk' scene, love the weirdo in the sci-fi store . . oh and the whole method of finding the address on the back of the business card. . . oh and the cat 'arriving' in the first scene.
    Negative point? - Should have done one long episode.

Oh well there goes my two cents. I'm not upset if you don't read it all, just feels good to type out something!

17. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

I really enjoyed tonight :-D I laughed so hard at certain parts and I adored the last scene of Carbug driving around. I can't wait for tomorrow! It certainly seems that if a series 9 and 10 comes around, then we'll get all our series 8 cliffhangers resolved at the start of series 9, because our reality is obviously missing a large chunk of the Red Dwarf story!

Also, anyone who was even more disappointed by todays ep, remember that Doug said himself that people are going to hate him on Saturday, but by Sunday they will love him! Keep your hopes up!

One slight worry I have, is that they have 30-35 minutes of the story left, and it still seems like there's a LOT to get through...I hope it isn't all too crammed in at the last minute and ruins the flow :?

18. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

THIS ladies and gentlemen is...The truth, cherish it.

19. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

Interesting. I strongly believe the origami however its spelt that Cat did has significance to the pyramid in the thames and its jsut an alternative reality where they its a tv show. etc like they thoguht it was a game in back to reality type episode. But wasnt there rumors that a series 9 script was done n bbc didint want to know. so im presuming that'll tie thingd together with cliffhanger etc i shouldn't wonder. Cos its been writen n half the movie been filmed kind of so.. hmm interesting stuff well done!

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Watched it again and here's my blow by blow thoughts on it.

The psi scan bit and penis enlargement cream thing made me laugh out loud

The dvd vs vhs bit was funny but a bit crap at the same time. it's just making a joke out of the fact that red dwarf became outdated because shows can never predict the future. red dwarf were using cd's (which look like dvds) in the 2nd series (wasn't gordon's message on one?)

When they find out they're not real, they accept it all very well as if it's not the earth shattering news it really is. Also why do they pause and stay still just before the adbreak?

The bit with Lister telling rimmer about the toilet is really funny. No idea why Rimmer takes condoms when he's a hologram...

The "guess who" bit in the shop was sort of funny but the actor was a bit crap, especially when saying the word "Weird" The Blade Runner scanning and zooming in bit was funny, a bit like the lister escape plan from "Rimmerworld" with the same sort of payoff from Kryten.

The bit with the kids is pretty cringe worthy, no children please, what is this a Speilberg movie? And mentioning Dave (the channel)? pretty tacky plugging, and if this is sold all over the world and seen many years from now, it's a pretty silly thing to insert and totally unneeded, what wrong with saying "we see you on tv"?. Plus the kids explaination of Kochanski and everything was a bit weak. They also think he's not just an actor. Please, they're not 4 years old. When I was their age, I knew they were actors..

Rimmer pushing Katerina into the traffic was unexpected and funny.

I'm dreading the coronation street bit though.