Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

I'm sorry if it's upsetting to the cast, their great actor's(proven by 9 yr of amazingly funny shows) but I said as i said before they simply weren't given enough to work with, I think the poor editing (no background noise, ie the engine noise off the ship you usually hear in ep one for example, and bad CGI, they should have stuck to props) has a lot to answer for. but we need to point the producer in the right direction if the show is going to have any sort of long term future, cause if they continue with the lack of quality we've over last two days, means they will lose a large portion of their fan base.

The boy's from the Dwarf need to stick listers day-glo moon boots up Dave's butt.

2. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

Funny yes, very funny.

But i wern't to sure on the whole '' were not real'' thing as said before i hope this is counted as i spin off if the thing im thinking of don't happen tonight and that thing im thinking of is Lister having a ''dream'' and waking up to find out everything's normal and in a way that would fit in fantasticly.

The hints of a new series where awsome, almost jaw dropping to a point because not only do we have Red dwarf back on our screens it's hinting more as well which left me drooling, i lol'd about the cheeks spread joke, classic dwarf there.

But i really really do hope that they don't end Red dwarf like that though ( '' were not real'') it would be an awful way to end something so GREAT. If they did i persoanlly my self would discard Back to Earth as a spin-off non-cannon, i would still watch it and enjoy it but if it ends tonight (which it don't sound like it's going to) then persoannly Back to Earth will be a spin off.

Also i don't think Doug is stupid enough to let the life that is Red Dwarf die like that, it has to be a dream or some sort of hallucination like what happend with the despair squid in Back to Reality.

But like the avid die hard Dwafer i will be watching.:-D

3. RossPK

RossPK Third Technician

I thought it was brilliant!

Loved the self refferential stuff, loved the fact that they realise they're just characters, I thought it was clever and cool.

It was funny in places too, and as for no audience, I never noticed the lack of it this time.

Also, so what if they're older, they're not THAT old, they're hardly 'washed up'. Anyone would think they're old age pensioners by the way some of you guys describe them. They're just middle aged, they're still young in comparison to 'old people'.

I think maybe the people who are dissapointed are expecting way too much? Maybe a big part of what makes them see the old shows as so special is the nostalgia, and they've built up their expectations of this special or a new series so much, that when it finally does come on TV no matter how good it is, it just can't compete, and they're really dissapointed.

Similar to what the other person in this topic said, it's as though they're expecting another series 6 only this time on a gold platter.

4. sampledred

lol I'm lovin the Peep Show cross over, that's mint! it meshes better than corrie.

5. sampledred

Does any one else think Dave really didn't help themselves by showing it next to some of the best ep's they ever made?

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Pls stop mentioning corrie :? *vomit* what next? Eastenders? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I would actually like to see Mitchel n Webb on RD, they would be great :-)

If these episodes do turn out to be a dream, hallucinations, viral infections, STD's on the rampage, brain melting ray's from aliens etc...it will be a relief BUT a rather large and unoriginal waste of time seeing as Back to Reality did it MUCH better before.

7. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

it's got potential, definitely. big suze would however have to meet russian holo, although there wouldn't be a problem b/c they're both characters.

8. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Pls stop mentioning corrie :? *vomit* what next? Eastenders? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I would actually like to see Mitchel n Webb on RD, they would be great :-)

If these episodes do turn out to be a dream, hallucinations, viral infections, STD's on the rampage, brain melting ray's from aliens etc...it will be a relief BUT a rather large and unoriginal waste of time seeing as Back to Reality did it MUCH better before.

9. Awooga

Awooga Third Technician

As I sit here watching last night's Britain's Got Talent, I can't help but laugh - but more in memory of Rimmer's words than the show itself.

10. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Hmmm there's a bug on here that keeps messing up some posts:?

YES....showing the cream of RD with these new episodes fudged them up proper.

11. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

They'd make a pretty neat Confidence & Paranoia if nothing else.

12. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

I would welcome a Back to reality type thing as a good ending but you never know.

Doug may have a trick or two ready for us.

13. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

I've seen it several times but its been a few years and a lot of the referances have passed me over. wheras with the Polymorph/Alien thing it was really obvious what that was without needing to see the film! I think it's perhaps one referance too many, not great for trying to get viewers who like comedy but not into sci-fi........

As for trying to get new viewers - well hang on, surely thats the point of repeats channels like Dave & GOLD etc! repeating the old episodes is what garners the new fanbase - I doubt that many people watching BTE havent seen at least one older RD episode. Most people tuning in are already gonna be fans.

Personally (and you can shoot me all down if you want) I'm glad they didn't make a film. shock horror? well I saw the hash they made of Hitchikers. Sitcom to big screen aint gonna work. Though if they made it as an adaption of the novels, with it's much, much darker edge then I could see it working quite nicely.

14. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Well that whole scene was pretty pants but that just about put the tin lid on it. Fictional characters making reference to themsleves in the real world is one level of the '4th wall' name checking the station its on is a level too far IMHO. It just says what the priorities are for the writers - i.e give the guys with the money a little cameo *ah bless*.

Mind you I think we may see the destruct button pressed even further if they then go on to reference a real TV soap and the actor that is in it who also played the character in the supposedly fictional series we are watching now. That will just be the end of the line for me, far too convoluted and clever for its own good. And that leaves aside the fact that they will be tearing away any shred thats left of the fantrasy element of the show that I personally loved.

15. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

Creating a new series of any show after it's been off the air for a long time is always a phenomenally difficult thing to get right, trying to stike the balance right between making it feel like an extension of the old shows everyone knows and loves whilst bringing the show into the present so it doesn't feel like an anachronism that has no relevence to the now has got to be incredibly difficult to pull off. I think this was an admirable attempt, especially considering the fact there was no budget for more than the one physical set, and that the budget also nmeant it all had to be shot in just a couple of weeks. There was a lot of presure for this storyline to be something extraordinary, and I think it does just that. I also have a feeling that fans who have been dismayed be the twist in episode 2 will feel a lot happier after tonights episode.

16. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

wouldn't the kids have been watching it with their dad on DVD/video anyway? after all as a fan I get pretty narked that Dave et all keep cutting bits out or bleeping stuff, so would much rather watch it in it's true original form on dvd/vid..........
    that's why that namecheck was so annoying!

17. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Doug just wanted to name check dave, cheesey it was indeed, but Doug has a defiency when it comes to predicting what will cheese people out.
    Anyway everyone else wouldn't fund new dwarf in any form so no wonder he's happy that Dave picked it up.

18. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

Just watched this for the third time.

I've just picked up on the fact that the TV salesman with the small penis describes a TV as "50 inches of full crotch throbbing power".

These scripts are so detailed and well crafted, but they're dense enough that you can miss a lot on first viewing. So those bashing it should really give it another go.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've just realised that this was Rimmer's 50th episode.

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Hey Chaff...have you seen no.3?? I hope yr right, but its gonna take a fudging good episode to right this wrong in my eyes.

I hated that line from Kryten....'he has a small penis' it was so childish and lame, my groan meter went off the scale hehe *groan*