Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I didn't like it either. It seemed a bit too much like series 8 humour.

2. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I have real mixed feelings about this so far. And this is my opinion, so please, no stoning me to death, thanks.

It's a real shame, as I was loving the action on the ship, but now they've come back to earth, it all feels a bit, I dunno, like the production team have no money and taken them all down the local shopping centre to film something, anything. There's just a complete lack of oomph, no sense of danger or peril. The acting is a little "oh we're not real. Ah well, let's have a wander down here..." Did anyone else get that sense or is it just us (and by us, I mean my husband and my family - all long-term RD fans)?

By the look of the trailers it looks like the action will perk up, I certainly hope so. But the plot is only leaving 23 minutes to wrap up a hell of a lot. IMO this would have worked better as a TV film run together or a four parter. And the adverts are seriously doing my head in, roll on the DVD release.

After seeing this taster I would LOVE to see another series. But please, lads, don't come back here. Thanks.

PS did anyone else notice the Mugs Murphy DVD in the DVD shop??!! hehehe

3. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

hmm i had a thought after last nights episode but i didnt say anything... the thing is when they turned up on corrie (at the end) afew things went thru my mind... we all know they have broke the 4th wall (big mistake in my oppinion but its done)... now turning up on corrie are the actors of corrie going to go by there real names or their corrie names... its a very confusing thort but if the corrie actors use their stage names then that cancels out the 4th wall its just like sum sort of alternate dimension or sumthing... dunno if i explained this right but if u understand what im trying to say jus holla

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Lets just hope corrie doesnt touch anything Dwarfer OK :?
    Bloody hell whats next...a cameo from Simon Cowell slagging off Rimmer and Krytens head? :roll:

I hate how this cameo thing is going.....hate it, small or not.

5. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

I also cringed a bit at the "small penis" gag - was a bit 'Birds of a Feather' circa 1986

6. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

yikes i'd forgotten birds of a feather ever happened thanks for that! although it did have a strangely haunting theme tune....

7. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

well here we go guy's let's all just hope this ep is whay we're hoping for.

Fingers Crosses!

8. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

moment of truth

9. phoenixzappa

phoenixzappa Skutter

This is not a new series of Red Dwarf. It's a number of skin-deep PR promos for Dave. That is surely blatantly obvious by the ridiculous self-reference. C'mon people it's not series 9 or anything. They visit Corrie for christ's sake!

10. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Bootle hits the nail on the head just right....for episode 2 at least, I still think part 1 had some promise, well in the set designs anyway haha

11. theonion770

theonion770 Third Technician

When they first go through into the parallel universe and we see Red Dwarf on the tv screens in the shop I wanted to cry. It's like the League of gentleman film all over again!!

Actually what it really made me think was a few weeks ago another member of the Blue Dwarf website suggested this very same plot (going to a parallel universe to meet your creator/writer) and I thought it was far too cheesy!

I wasn't a fan of the Corrie references here, as I've not seen the show, but Rimmer's northern impression was enough to make up for it. The Bladerunner references were intriguing, although weren't "spoofy" enough. This extends into the next episode too, the Bladerunner episodes are too much like Blade Runner and not enough of a spoof.

The Scene in the shop was great. Did anyone else wonder when they were watching it if the guy was going to ring them? :-P

12. aaron05nunn

aaron05nunn Skutter

Really enjoyed this one.. Need more dwarf!!!!!!!

13. phoenixzappa

phoenixzappa Skutter

Hubbs is right too. The first five minutes of the first episode showed what the next series could/could have been. Updated sets - looked great. Let's hope these are shallow teaser promos for an upcoming series that will materialise. Red Dwarf is too great to allow die without appeasing the fans with one more series!

14. doggett

doggett Second Technician

I liked it as it was at a sci-fi haters expence. He did, after all say sci-fi was boll***s;-)

15. RyanHouser

RyanHouser Skutter

If They Dont Finish Out The Series Im Going TO GO INSANE! All That Emotion... All That Potential... That Was BEAST... PLEASE DO NOT END IT! I'VE BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW SINCE I WAS BORN! :-) GOOD JOB AND THANK YOU!

16. smygan

smygan Skutter

Complete and utter SMEG!

17. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

The word "Smeg" was mentioned several times, - so, technically - no, but verbally, yes.

18. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I loved the second episoed the best. I loved the bit where rimmer pushes Katerina in front of the car. It was just really really funny.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wasn't keen on that. I thought it was out of character for him. I know there is a suggestion of off-screen violence like the time he picked up the washing machine (or something) and tried to insert it in Lister but he never acts that way when we see him. He is nasty in other ways but he is not homicidal. (And yes, she's a hologram... already dead... yada yada, but that's splitting hairs...)

I wish they'd gone with the original idea of getting her arrested. Now THAT I can imagine Rimmer doing, and I think it would be very funny He's a humiliator not a killer, and he would get a greater sense of having outwit a senior officer, which I think was his particular reward. (See the final episode to see what I mean by that.)

That being said, that would take time to set up, and I can understand why they went for the quick gag. I suppose the character discrepancy could be explained by the reveal in the third episode. After all Lister does something uncharacteristic too because... oh watch it you'll see.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not so much amoral (as Rimmer can be pretty amoral) just the form of amorality.

There is that. Justified or not it seemed out of character to me to take that particular method though. I suppose it could be argued she could whip out the remote control at any point and erase him so he needed to act quickly.

Ah, but that was very much in character. He is a coward who looks after number one. He wasn't actively going out of his way to kill them (although activating the escape pod set off the destruction of the ship) just save himself. It was morally despicable, but not intentionally homicidal.