Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Novabug

Novabug Skutter

Ha Ha, I think this is all a very clever bit of writing! leaves people wondering, disscussing and pondering whats going on. during the bit with lister talking to the kids, i got it. Will there be an appearance by chloe? Norman? Doug or even rob???!!!

Will there be a series 9? ha. It's kinda hinting that the the plot holes would be cleared up in a unseen series 9 or 10?

Yes, i felt strange watching my RD, that i have been watching since feb 1988, parody itself. But i think, or hope, what I would like to see happen! I hope i will not be dissappointed. As to all of you who are slating this, I think it's quite brave and original. shame about the missing laughter track.

think about tho, the cast were interveiwed and said, they loved making this (barrie), the script was great (charles), and that they would like to make more (jules). Eh?

2. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

I'll have to hire it out tomorrow :-)

3. southblue

southblue Third Technician

Well I'm ashamed to say that went over way over my head (WOOooshhh! WOOooshhh!), but now you point it out - very clever! I usually pride myself in picking things up quite quickly, but now I'm convinced I must watch again to see if there is anything else that slipped under my radar.

4. LivesInABox

LivesInABox Skutter

First off - before you say, i don't get it, it's a special, it's not red dwarf IX, you don't have any posts - I understand that all, i've been a fan from the start watching it at school! (which makes me too old to enjoy "new" things now). The reason i don't have any posts on here is that i enjoy red dwarf by watching it, i don't need or want to post messages about continuity questions or how much i fancy someone :lol:

I wanted to post a message on dave's red dwarf "chat" last night about the first show, which was bearable, but not great - but it's kinda what i expected (and to show a bit of support). It looks like theyre not allowing new signups till after red dwarf is over (been waiting over 24 hrs and tried 3 different emails), and from the looks of a large number of the posts, they appear to be mostly repeating themselves saying how great it is in almost the same way - theres even a couple of people that believe it's some people from dave posting over and over again. (and the rest seems split between like it and hate it - so red dwarf is the new marmite?).

I forgave the first special show, it lacked a lot, but on their shoestring budget it wasn't offensive, not great, but not unmissable (ignoring the whole it's not the same as it used to be arguement, that was like what 20 years ago? ). I wasn't overly keen on series 7 and series 8 was pretty far from the originality that made the early series so great, but it was still well made and sits proudly on my shelf (but gets watched a lot less in my house!).

I forgive the starwars looking sets, CSI bit, rusty acting, lack of sound track, overuse of cgi - but i can't forgive the stolen LOG script, the fact the whole 2nd episode was a giant ad for the dvd (heres a load of tvs saying..buy the dvd...red dwarf...then going to a dvd shop...showing the dvds....showing the NEW dvd..comming soon....then the merchandise shop...look at all this red dwarf stuff you can buy). Trying to be clever and make out that your parodying yourself but really using it as an ad is terrible. Then the two kids to catch you up on the plot, because we couldnt afford to make a new series, so heres what you might get if we get enough funding to do it....

So predications for the next episode? Marrying up with corrie (like doctoreastwhoenders) and then what looks like a blade runner copy finale? With some kind of open ended twist? Is this supposed to win you guys a new audience so you can make a new series and become the next cult license to be dumbed down for mass appeal? I guess i'm just too old to appreciate good tv. It doesn't matter that it wasn't classic red dwarf. It doesn't matter that it was a whole "clever" reality spoof exactly the same as LOG. It doesn't matter that the script wasn't as sharp as before. It does matter that this wasn't special - it reminded me of the fan movies, in fact some of them had the spirit of red dwarf, which this is sadly lacking!

In the Dave leaked behind the scenes video on you tube Doug Naylor says "You have to live up to the memory of the very best moments of the best shows, so there is a weight there, a massive expectation and its one of the very best stories we've ever done ever" - can i buy some pot from you?????? I really want to see if that gets broadcast - it's like a slap in the face of everyone thats ever watched some of the great episodes (I don't even need to list em!!).

.......-|-.......
    ........|........
    .....-'~~~`-.....
    ...' To The `...
    ..| Memory |..
    ..| Of The |..
    ..| Memory Of |..
    \\| Red Dwarf |//
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

P.s. The really really gutting thing for me is that i work for a video games company and i was trying to convince them that a red dwarf licensed game would be great, and they were watching with interest to see what it's like - and i serious doubt that is ever going to happen!

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Here's some possible endings.

- The whole thing is a hallucination brought on by Lister eating a tomato, to which he is allergic. I'd like that!

- It's the opposite of the despair squid. It's all a hallucination to try and give him hope, possibly orchestrated by Katarina to "bring Lister back to life".

- I'm out :-)

6. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

will everyone please remember that this isnt a new series, its not going to be as funny as all the others from series 1-8 but hey its still hilarious and really i think were lucky to even see these boys back on tv again. What they need is not loads of stick from everyone in here but support. There going to make a new series if the views and feedback are good, in the new series im sure the laugh tracks will return, and so will the same standard of jokes that were present before, but they need the chance to be able to do that. I just think were more than lucky to be able to even see a new episode, lets just enjoy what may be the last time we see these guys on tv in red dwarf. How can they make top caliber red dwarf from before after 10 years break and like 2-3 weeks rush production, for what theyve had to work with theyve done more than a good job, bloody brilliant.

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

All these Bladerunner references HAVE to fit in the plot somehow... Unless Doug now thinks ridley scott is the new Jesus.

8. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

Wow what to say! laughing from start to finish! Very cryptic episode. Doug said we would hate him after saturday, so sure there will be a big twist in the end. Classic Dwarf back to its very best!!!
    Boys from the dwarf!!

9. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

re-read what u just said :P. how can it be the end of part 1 for the 2 parter when they clearly stated in the episode itself that it was a 3 parter :P. the delay was probably bad editing tbh. they probably written in the script roughly when they wanted the break. causing the actors to pause. then the frame pause wa the editing they did to allow dave to add in the adverts. or somethign like that

people seem to be thinking that they are on our earth. but i don't see how thats possible seeing as theres a template clearly in the opening title screen.

10. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

It's a damn fine movie :-)

There are other moments from BtE that are homages to scenes from Blade Runner.

You'll notice them straightaway once you've seen the movie :-)

11. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Wow! Just, wow.

Episode two was Red Dwarf back almost back to full speed. Brilliant!
    No criticism at all. And, 1,000 bonus points for referencing Blade Runner!

The laughter track wasn't missed either, because there was a different atmosphere. There was music, traffic and other people to fill in the gap this time.

Nothing bad to say. And what the hell can I say about the 'beam it onto the TV screen' bit? Excellent. I've never seen that particular scene in Blade Runner parodied in a way that is actually humorous before.

A lot of people were crossing their fingers that this set of specials wouldn't become joke too far. I was also hoping that they had a good explanation for the weird Star Bug car than "the real Star Bug turned into it" and they did. The crazy Japanese guy had stolen it from the nerdy Sci Fi guy:P

Well done. Very well done. Mind you, I wish they'd ran this as a single viewing. You can see all too clearly that the first episode was not meant to be shown on it's own.

They have a really strong chance of landing a new series if this continues.

12. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

i enjoyed part 2 thoroughly, excellent RD.

did anyone notice when Lister and Rimmer were sitting in the shop/kids bedroom how much it looked like the sleeping quarters the way it was set out?

i believe they are hallucinating, all will be revealed tomorrow, cant smeggin' wait!

13. evelyn

evelyn Third Technician

Well, I said I liked part One, from 10 minutes into the episode until the end yesterday - tonight, I loved just about every minute of it! (the kids on the bus was a bit too long for me) - I loved all the references to Blade Runner (one of my favourite films) and it's looking really good for part 3, yaay! well done :-D

14. albarst

albarst Skutter

Just cant wait to see what happens tomorrow , thats all im gonna say for now , cuss im sort of in shock , but in a good way:-D

15. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

It was originally going to be a 2-parter, not a 3-parter. So I just thought, when the script was originally written, that moment was gonna be the end of part 1/2, and then when they realised it was gonna be 3 parts, they made it the ad-break of part 2/3.

16. Novabug

Novabug Skutter

i think you have missed the piont my friend. And sheesh, why so serious? I was nervous too, but it looks like this might be a very clever bit of writing. lets see eh?

17. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Totally brilliant! The Bladerunner references were spot on! I just do noses. Perfect. Fan Club references a honour! Thanks to the maker! Just call me Reg!

18. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

There has been a much more positive critical reception with this episode. Or, perhaps the miserable people have went for some sleepy time, and won't get around to complain and impose their *superior* opinions until tomorrow:twisted:

19. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

I will need to buy a Blu-Ray dvd eerr video!;-)

stevie:-D

20. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

SPOILER ALERT: I loved the joke about how videos replaced DVD's, because of how people forgot to put them back in the case. An absolutely fantastic way to justify old technology on an old TV show is to explain that "old will be new", in the future. Well done.