Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

All these one post wonders i get the impression they're one person! I thought it was a fantastic episode filled with laughs and a good storyline! Excited about dwarf again! 5/5

2. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    Wasn't it Rimmer?

3. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

I would like to know this little girl who sits inside the bus, said "Konchastic (sp?) said Blue Midget!", any idea what are meant?, I`m surprised, you guys or gals did not mentioned it tonight!:shock:

Care to elaborate:?: please, thanks.

stevie:-)

4. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

pretty disappointed, I have loved the Dwarf since i was very young, and am horrified that one of the great British comedies has been turned in parody of it's once hysterical self, and those horrifying silences after the jokes, where's the laughter that provides the atmosphere? just silence not even back ground noise just seems unfinished and cheap. i may be geek but I've always been a proud fan, i grew up playing games with my brother memorizing the space core directives, and having to give the right directive for the right number, and to go from such love to see it being a turned in to a cheap joke to be honest has really upset me.

I refused to kiss the poor writing butt, just because they've had the good sense to finally put the gang back together, it's not enough, they have captured very little of Red Dwarfs atmosphere and spirit, fair do's to the boy's they do the best with what their given but the simple fact is they weren't given enough. after a much anticipated return to go off on such a random tangent with out resolving the questions the fan's have waited ten years, seem's a bit pointless.

5. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

*LOL* Oh dear. Well given you didn't read my question properly or actually respond to it, I'm going to step away from this cos I have a feeling I'm going to get drawn into a slanging match otherwise with someone who appears to just be picking a fight. I can't really respect that approach.

6. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

That may be the case, and may well work for those fans who have the time and inclination to hunt down every interview with cast members or production crew but for many people who make up the fan base(and those who dont) the only info we get is what gets spooned to us ;-) and I have not seen or heard anything that mentions breaking the fourth wall.

..And in the end, even if the third part is total genius, it still wont redeem earlier flaws..I have never seen anything that manages that and I dont think this will be the program that does.

7. Reddwarfftw

Reddwarfftw Third Technician

Hey, new member here, just thought I'd give my opinion.

If I'm brutally honest, the first episode disappointed me slightly, ONLY because it was too short however some of the jokes were amazing.
    The second part tonight was very, very funny but has really confused me. I really wanna watch it again but my dads asked me to wait til he gets home from work so we can watch it together. It just seemed that there was so much story packed in, I could barely take it all in first time.
    This finale to this 3-parter special really is what is going to be the clincher for Red Dwarf. If the conclusion is poor then, well I don't even want to think about that( I'm very sure it won't be), and if the finale is excellent, well that surely seals the deal for more Red Dwarf to hit our screens in the future.
    Al

8. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Yeah they did, wtched it again I missed that bit first time round, I was just thinking about the scene in the shop where their was Lister's bath from Series 9 "The best season ever".

Doug said there could be a Series 10 but no 9 so maybe something happens along the way that makes it possible.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i thought the episode was quite embarrassing, i hope the 3rd part really makes it all ok so i can watch part 2 with less cringing

10. corbane1

corbane1 Skutter

Doug, what a genius, making this special after series 10, this will allow all plot holes to be filled.

11. ewbarden

ewbarden Skutter

Well as a fan for 20 years I really do see this as the final nail in the coffin of what was once one of the best shows on tv. The first episode was weak verging on the pathetic with no real memorable moments and an all too hashed together and convinent 'plot' development with no real explanation-and whatever anyone says the CGI was pretty poor (ok not as embarrasing as series 7) but with budget constraints etc etc I could cope as long as the story was absorbing like the old series but to be honest at certain points I actually cringed for the show as it was transparently evident gags had been sacrificed to hurry the story along and they were trying to throw naff one liners in for the sake of it. Episode two was just w**k. The whole thing just lost any credibility it ever had and decended into a children in need style throw together with the red dwarf show on tv and they were the characters from another dimension thing. Even my wife who had never seen the show before I inroduced her to the dvds (and now loves the show) saw these two new episodes and said it had lost its edge and all sense of what it once was! I can accept I may have not liked the storyline while others did but the thing I cant accept is the way which it was delivered- poor poor acting, gut churning cheese and no humour. I wouldnt have minded if it changed into a serious show with humour thrown in (like life on mars) as some of the best dwarf had drama in it in my opinion (out of time, the end of rimmerworld, back to reality) but this was neither. Personally the show for me had been dying since series 6 finished and this just about capped it all. I will watch the next episode purely out of curiosity but wont be buying the dvds...hell I wouldnt even want them given to me! I feel like a kid who has been waiting for xmas and wakes up to find all of his presents are clothes!

12. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

It is a shame that Doug said there would be no 9...I don't understand why. Back to Earth takes place after series 10, so if we can have a 10, why the smeg can't we have a 9?...I still want to know how series 8 was resolved.

13. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

See, you're a negative person. I was having a bit of fun with you and you bite straight away;-)

14. High_Low

High_Low Skutter

A very good way to put it!

This better be good tommorow or Red Dwarf has been ruined ; ;

15. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

To be honest I disagree this is poor writing.

The Kochanski think has been explained as the "fictional" happenings clearly relate to the "reality" and what Lister himself believes happened. You can guage that by his reactions, so everything is actually in the process of being tied up, so hah.

Also, I actually think it's quite clever. It's clearly not our universe, but an alternative universe where Red Dwarf is "fiction" (or not).

Deep Space Nine did the concept with the episode featuring Benny Russel, frankly it was the strongest episode that show ever produced, and rated most highly. It starts off looking like this did but turns out so well you'd eat your own words.

Trust me. It's going to be alright.

16. High_Low

High_Low Skutter

A very good way to put it!

This better be good tommorow or Red Dwarf has been ruined ; ;

17. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

You mean you stopped being excited about RD ? :O ;-)

And why is it that when ever people join a forum they are suspected of being someone else or all the same person?
    Surely it makes sense that given the "specials" being shown on tv that there will be a lot of people wanting to join the forums and talk about the program? And usually only when their opinions are contrary to others ;-)

------------

I do like some of the little things that happened in part 2 though, the impact shape that Rimmer made when he exited the portal was cool,the Cat as ever was funny, and I loved the bit when Kryten summarised their situation :-D

Overall though the writing feels rushed, and I dont like having to make an effort to watch part three when it comes on :-(

18. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Again, a brilliant episode. Especially loved the nods to earlier series in the DVD shop: "Don't Shoot Mugs Murphy" and "Die Screaming With Sharp Things In Your Head".

New series please, Mr. Naylor. That is all.

19. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

Terrible lapse of rational thought. Just typed the wrong name. :eek:ops:

20. ggddttrrffbb

ggddttrrffbb Skutter

Hey - longtime fan (from the US), never posted before. After the first episode, I was a "bit" worried about the future of the series. Episode 2 was outstanding. So many jokes for the fans, and an excellent plot to boot. So pleased that I have the finale to look forward to! Boys from the Dwarf!!!:lol: