Back To Earth...Not Really..

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by welshtrekker, Apr 12, 2009.

1. welshtrekker

welshtrekker Skutter

Red Dwarf is the craziest comedy ever to hit our screens. We all love watching the quibbles erupt into nonsense between Dave and Rimmer; more, we love watching Kryten embarrass Rimmer for a misdemeanour like - not knowing his space core directives...
    But, what has happened to the new 'Back to Earth'. It’s just not hitting the mark.

The comedy seems to have been sacrificed in favour of a very dull story around the ‘boys from the dwarf’ being sent by their sexy hologram (god knows why she’s there...) through a worm hole that transports the boys into an alternate reality that involves fictional characters being real. Suppose that works for Coronation Street, no obvious advertising there...
    I read that Rob Grant was absent....maybe that is why the Back To earth series lacks the gag train of laughs we all love in Red Dwarf.

The Back To earth series is really quite dire. Sorry, if you disagree. The shots linger and rely on sharp but short bursts of sarcasm to deliver the comedy. Having watched episode 2 earlier, I realised that Doctor WHO revealed more laughs...
    Something is missing... Guys get it back as series 1 - 6 proved Red Dwarf to be the ultimate comedy..
    Bring back the bunk banter, Kryten should be sharper, never mind the CGI, don’t bring female holograms...
    How could Holly have been forgotten...I mean..Really....

It didn’t feel like Red dwarf, at all, rather an attempt to offer a weak comedy sc-fi feature badly edited into 3 parts..
    It’s a shame, I love Red dwarf, and feel that a big opportunity to bring back the guys for series 9 may ...have been missed...
    Can’t hold my breath for episode 3...