Back To Earth "sounds" wrong, but... Is it really?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Gavavva, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Gavavva

Gavavva Skutter

Is it me guys or am I the only one getting a HUGE "Back to Reality" vibe from The new episodes...?

Let's think about it for a second... What could be worse than setting Red Dwarf in the same world as Coronation Street AND saying that it was fake all along...? Well, not much. Its a kick in the teeth to Red Dwarf fans and not really the type of ending we wanted...

But then... IS IT the ending we think it is?

Lets look at the facts... The guys manage to go back to Earth after all these years, and find out that life isn't what they thought it would be? A female hologram (Hot as hell mind you) comes from nowhere, just as a dimension jumping alien disappears...? And yet, with no Holly to be seen, we are led to believe that both the new hologram AND Rimmer can co exist at the same time...?

It just sounds fishy to me. TOO fishy in fact. A sub standard "plot", with way too many plot holes, is just not Red Dwarf... Well ok, ignore the plot holes one... But after all the noise everybody is making about how good the plot is, do you really think everything is as it seems...? Oh and lets not even mention how "stupid" Carbug is... So stupid that its a taking the mick of itself... So stupid that it just may not even be real.

Here is my guess: The female lead is a baddy, clearly, hence Chris Barrie snorting at the question of them getting it together in a recent interview... They go back in time to Earth, but its not Earth as we know it, its some kind of illusion, or hallucination, and they get trapped there, and have to "break the program" some how... The 3 part specials end with them getting back top Red Dwarf and floating aimlessly in space yet again, leaving it all open for either another possible series or film. I mean, how can there be talk/hope of ANOTHER series among the cast, no matter how small, if Lister gets home...?

Still, 2 days, 2 hours or so to go... And I can't smegging wait :-D

2. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I agree with yr worries matey, I just posted a thread about the same thing, look down afew ;-)

3. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Man, I hope you're right.

4. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

I have to say you make good points. IF another series or anything came about, then Lister and the crew knowing that their life is a sitcom as a result of this would take away any type of atmosphere and would ruin the entire plot.

Your predictions make much more sense and are MUCH better! Here's hoping!

5. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Interesting but if this is the case then its just Back To Reality Mark 2!! After all this time I really expect something special, & maybe thats the problem, the weight of fan expectation can only lead to dissapointment?

6. Gavavva

Gavavva Skutter

You expect something more special...? What could be better than a "better" and, dare I say it, NEW version of Back To Reality? With plot twists at every turn? And production values that look spot on!

Plus I would rather they remade Holoship with Eddie Murphy playing every character in a rubber suit, compared to what they are leading us on with being the REAL plot...

7. kezzzs

kezzzs Third Technician

Sounds like the film 'Meet Dave' vs. Dave Lister

8. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

It's new dwarf be happy

9. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

An original,new story maybe?

10. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

4th wall breaking is what people are afraid of but i think it's going to be good, the writer is trying to kill them off in this futuristic setting, with a gunman hunting them down so they have to save themselves by getting to write their own destiny. Maybe?

11. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

It sounds for like breaking the fifth wall; if lister is to bump in to craig charles :-(

12. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

I'm suddenly reminded of the multiple Ben Afflecks (including Ben Affleck playing Ben Affleck) in "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back"!

I've followed very little of the making of these new specials (not because I'm opposed to spoilers - I've watched the preview as well as BBC clips). I'm just prepared to go in with an open mind and want to enjoy it. Having first seen Red Dwarf when series II was being shown, I've not really cared about the changes in direction of the show so long as it's still been funny (which is why I had a problem with series VII), and so I'm looking forward mightily to tomorrow night!

Ronnie

13. Gavavva

Gavavva Skutter

More proof for me at least, that what I said is bang on:

"The story… well, I am confident that everyone will despise me on Saturday! I’m really, really confident. And they will be hurling things at the television, and just going “We hate him so much!” But hopefully by Sunday… they won’t!"

Even Doug Naylor is hinting that all may not be what it first seems...?