Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

To post options of the overall trilogy, as opposed to a specific episode, please post here.

Do, please, consider the existing threads before starting a fresh one of your own. Remember, pretty much everyone has an opinion on these shows!

2. SgtMcAwesome

SgtMcAwesome Skutter

I read on BBC where Mr.Charles spoke of the emotional maturity of the trilogy, and truly that was one of the first things that struck me in part 1. With the appearance of arguably the hottest woman to ever live, Ms.Winkleman, the episode had me by the short ones right from the opening. Part 2 is so well written, completely engrossing for anyone with any sort of familiarity with the series. Mr. Kenyon and Ms.Southworth put in a stunning, natural performance worthy of the series, while shedding light on a missing step. I eagerly await part 3, even though it will be slightly later for me than you lucky people in the UK.

What can I say about the original crew in this production? Thanks to them I have enjoyed every single episode of Red Dwarf, and Back to Earth is no exception. Beautifully written, directed, and performed. A stunning idea for a program at a time when television and film are starved for creativity that isnt expressed through special effects.

Mr. Naylor, Mr. Barrie, Mr. Charles, Mr. John-Jules, Mr. Llewellyn, and all the supporting cast and crew, thank you so much for giving us another chance to see these characters in action! Gratitude everlasting from western Canada!

3. merse1979

merse1979 Skutter

I'm sorry for the copy & paste of my original post & thread "Personal Reaction To BTE", it was locked within 30mins due to some silly smeghead making personal insults, I just thought I'd give those more mature members a chance to reply. :-)

I have to say I think that BTE could & should have been done MUCH better. I don't want to repeat what everyone else has said, but I will briefly add my own personal feelings on the subject.
    1. My first impression WAS good. It started so promisingly. The original basic banter was back between Rimmer & Lister (this is essentially what MADE Red Dwarf the success it is today, in the 1st place). Cat was back to being vain again, Kryten was still the same old Kryten and the annoying glitzy look of series 7&8 was a thing of the past.

2. The missing canned laughter that everyone is on about does make the scenes pretty quiet as it will always add to atmosphere. But you don't NEED canned laughter to make something funny. If the humour isn't there in the 1st place, then adding laughter will not make the slightest difference. Some of the jokes ARE genuinely quite funny, but they are VERY few and far between. They only emphasise the many bad ones that are unfortunately in the majority, making them all seem very forced.

3. BTE pt2? Anyone remember Back to Reality? Back to Reality WAS good, but you've done it... please give us something original!

4. It is irritatingly obvious that the whole Trilogy (yes I know, only 1 & 2 have been shown so far) is a popularity vehicle for both 'Dave' and 'Coronation Street', it just makes the whole thing REALLY cringe-worthy and pretty painful to watch.

5. Introducing new crew members isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if this is supposed to be a wrapping up series of the program, then why not bring back Todhunter or Petersen or at least someone who we've heard of before, it just seems a bit late in the game to be creating new characters just because it fits.

6. Its very annoying to hear references to a "past series" that hasn't even been made yet. Just why????? There's no need for it. It's highly irritating when you begin to doubt your own ability to follow a line of continuity which you have followed since you were a kid. This is the last feeling you should be giving your fans. I had to resort to checking Wikipedia that confirm that I hadn't missed 2 series.

I have tried to be objective but I have to say on the whole I'm very disappointed. The possibilities are there, I just feel they are being wasted on a cheap "quick series" forced into play by the popularity of 'Dave'. Bring back the BBC, that is what I pay my TV license for!

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Why are you posting the above when part 3 hasn't aired yet? Did you read the thread title?

5. IFW_2009

IFW_2009 Skutter

My one word review : Crap

6. LivesInABox

LivesInABox Skutter

Fancy putting Back To Reality on straight after that mess of LOG apocalypse, blade runner & back to reality. What a bunch of twonks!

7. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

Awesome. BTE is so, so, so much better when viewed as a whole and should never have been split up.

Having rewatched all the old eps over the past month I rank this as one of the best. I really do. I loved the pathos and more serious edge to it (helped by the lack of audience), I think this brings it up to date and makes it more powerful.

The Search for Kochanski would (no - WILL) make an epic series or movie. If it's a series I do think the eps should be 40 minutes long or so (without ads), this length would suit Doug's style of comedy drama rather than sitcom.

Congratulations, RD crew. I loved it. But next time DON'T SPLIT IT UP!!! (I hope that decision hasn't cost too many viewers...)

8. corbane1

corbane1 Skutter

It wasnt the best episode, but I LOVED it, the story, the jokes and I agree its much better viewed as a whole.
    All my friends and family enjoyed the new episodes

If Doug, Craig, Danny, Chris, Robert or the rest of th crew read this; THANKS ALOT and WELL DONE

9. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Overall 8/10, not the best I've ever seen (in fact it probably wouldnt get into my top ten favourite episodes) but it was still great!

Some great moments in it: Cats four fingers when saying "give me three minutes", Listers drying himself in the toilet dialogue especially the clicher "and you try having a conversation with someone!" the carbug "landing" sequence,Rimmer "All I wanted was a sitcom set in a biscuit factory! Is that too much to ask?", I could go for a while here!
    Also while I have never been Chloes biggest fan it was good to see her in it especially after we had been told she wouldnt be!

Only 2 gripes:
    1 I think it did suffer slightly being show in 3 parts but I guess that was the only way it could really have been shown, Dave obviously having taken a big chance on this (after all there hadnt been a new series for 10 years who new what the reaction would be!)
    Tomorrow I will watch all 3 episodes together without adverts and I am sure that score of 8 might jump a notch!

2 The despair squid? Again? I thought that after all this time that Doug might have come up with something a bit more original! (However as the story leading up to that revelations was good I will forgive him for that!

In short thanks to Doug, the cast, everyone at GNP and everyone at Dave who made this possible and 1 more thing:

I WANT MORE
    I WANT MORE
    I WANT MORE
    I WANT MORE
    I WANT MORE
    I WANT MORE

10. Mr523P

Mr523P Skutter

Oh, well, first of all I have to say well done to everyone involved. The trilogy was all in all, fantastic. The Kochanski scenes at the end were a complete surprise and extremely moving. I don't mind admitting I actually shed a tear or two. Really well done.

Mr. Naylor hit it on the head when he said he felt people would hate him on Saturday but feel totally different on Sunday. I place myself in that very camp. Saturday night left me feeling cold and disappointed but this wrapped up things really nicely. And hopefully some of the references to past series' will inspire new fans to check out some of the older ones.

Couple of things I'd have liked to have had cleared up:

How did they get the original Rimmer back (or if it's the new one, how does he remember things like the despair squid)?
    How did Kochanski leave in a Blue Midget despite all the craft being taken by the nano crew?
    How did the joy squid get from Starbug into the nano Dwarf's water tank?

But other than that, I'm a very happy dwarfer and look forward to a new season should it be given the green light.

11. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

DAVE!! DAVE IF YOU'RE READING THIS!!
    1. PLEASE PICK IT UP FOR A NEW SERIES!!
    2. GIVE IT A BUDGET!! I WILL WATCH EVERY AD WITH MY EYES HELD OPEN WITH COCKTAIL STICKS IF THAT MEANS COMPANIES WILL GIVE MORE AD MONEY!!
    3. GIVE IT A 40 MINUTE TIME SLOT, IT NEEDS TO BE A 29 MINUTE SHOW!!
    4. MAKE GETTING ROB GRANT BACK ON BOARD A CONDITION FOR THE SERIES BEING COMMISSIONED!!
    5. MAKE IT OBLIGATORY FOR THE TV CHANNEL *DAVE* TO BE MENTIONED IN EVERY EPISODE!!
    6. TO AVOID OWNERSHIP ISSUES WITH BBC, RENAME THE SHOW *RED DAVE*!!

cheers :-)

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Now I've seen the whole thing, I have to admit, I don't really understand why it had to refer to "Mr. Charles", Coronation Street, or itself as a TV show. I was expecting the ending to have such a clever and dramatic explination it'd make sense, but uh, it didn't.

All we have here is Back To Reality?

Dispair Squid = Hope Squid
    Video Game = TV Show

The shows where entertaining and interesting. I fully appreciate also the concept that the Dwarf crew could create in their minds a false reality that, due to the concept of never ending possibilities streched over infinate universes could match our own in many ways, so I can *just* about settle it down as canon.

What I don't understand is the point. I thought it'd become clear and it just hasn't.

I enjoyed the episodes but I'm questioning the wisdom of this direction now. Making a comeback is a risky business and doing it in *such* a controversial fassion just wasn't clever IMO.

Much surprised by Chloe Annette being in it afterall! Never saw that coming, well kept secret!

Perhaps the ends will be tied up if more get comissioned, which I hope they will, purely because the door has been re-opened by these specials in terms of giving a good way to explain the end of Series VIII and the whole angle of what happened after that in the future. It also wouldn't involve a plot featuring this level of boundry crossing either hopefully.

Still, I watched Back To Reality right afterwards and thought, yeah, now THAT's Red Dwarf. This just...isn't. More Red Dwarf: The Next Generation. Good but, neh. Not right.

Sorry. I have to admit both sides and give my honest feelings now. I did like it and tried to stay positive, but this my overall feeling now it's settled.

Well done Doug, but also, have a word with yourself before doing any more episodes. Upsetting fans isn't always the best way to be remembered. ;-)

13. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Wow. Elaborate much?

14. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

It turned out alright in the end. As you've all said, this thing should NOT have been cut into three bits.

If you wanted to test people's interest, you should have gave them a start, middle and end all at once.
    We had one day where most people complained about episode one doing nothing but setting the scene.
    With episode two, it started to pick up, and more people were on the bandwagon again.

With the third episode, I was bought. This *has* to trigger a new series (please:-)).

A lot of the people who STILL don't like it (but not all, naturally) will be confused about it.
    Firstly, you have to pick up some of the incredibly strong references to Blade Runner. Without watching that movie, you are missing a huge amount of atmosphere and feeling.

It's a special that operates on different levels to the usual episodes. It tries to reconnect with the character's jokes and mannerisms. Personally, I think they did a good job. Some will disagree.

But, on top of that is something quite odd. What they say sums up the feelings of most of the fans; in both direct and subtle ways.
    They want to live! We have to give them life! Look upon their attempt kindly, and if you do frown on it, remember that it's just a TV show.

Hold a few of your punches back. You never know, it may be the difference between Season '10' and nothing. End of the line. They made these specials to wrap it up, but personally, I think they've opened the wound again. It would be a travesty for them to stop now.

15. cosmicmonkey

see the end of the last futurama movie? that was cool too, heading off through a wormhole or some such, with no way of knowing if they were coming back. totally fitted.

16. tomo_cjt

tomo_cjt Skutter

I agree that it would have been better as a full tv movie BUT the seriously low budget meant that they had to do it on Dave spread across three nights so that they could benefit from three nights of peak time advertisement revenue.

That said, I really did enjoy it and the third episode truly pulled it all together. I think it's achieved it's purpose of raising money/awareness for a new full budget show

17. The_Phantom_Monk

The_Phantom_Monk Skutter

I though the whole thing was great, so what if its 'Back to Reality II' we had Polymorph II and there was nothing wrong with that. OK there were plot holes but isn't that part of Red Dwarfs charm, and it gives Kryten a FAQs section for the Smeg Ups!

I do think BTE needs to be watch all together and think it may have been better recieved as a feature length TV movie. The first episode was great, Kats lilac suit and his mispronunciation of tenticals made me chuckle. The second episode did make me think 'what the f***!' at first even though I was expecting something like that, but I still enjoyed it. As for the last episode, I'm a fan of Bladerunner and enjoyed the Red Dwarf take on it. The Lister writing the script scene was laugh out loud funny.

I've read posts from people on here who say they've been fans all their lives but BTE has spoiled that! I've been a Red Dwarf fan for 21 years, just over half my life, for me its like supporting your favourite football team you've gotta stick with them what ever happens! I'm glad to see the guys back and hope this is the start of more new episodes.

18. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

As a trilogy, it was a waste. After ten years, all we get is a spoof of a 25 year old movie and a rehash of an episode from series 5.

I'll defend series 7 & 8 but I won't defend this.

Either bring back Rob Grant or leave it alone.

19. SophieMadeOfStars

SophieMadeOfStars Skutter

WHAT A GREAT HOMAGE TO THE SMALL ROUGE ONE!

20. cosmicmonkey

agree with points 1 & 3, series 7 was a waste for me.

i am baffled by people saying Red Dwarf is looking for a new, younger audience with this show. firstly, I'm only 24 and I loved series 6 first time round, I'm not exactly old!!! Second, if you DO want a new younger audience, don't centre the showcase around an old movie (that I for one haven't seen!)! There needs to be a second writer, the history of great comedy shows it. As does the fact the Blackadder found its feet after a second writer joined, and, to me, RD lost its way when one of the writers left.