Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Absolutely loved it. I seriously hope Dave commission a full series - but on one condition.

A 30 minute timeslot will not be enough for new episodes. 40 minutes would be perfect.

2. sirrusty

sirrusty Skutter

well i enjoyed it... much thanks. guessed it was the squid though...... shame to see so many negative comments, i guess you cant please all the people all the time!! as long as doug and others write stuff they like ill watch it. one thing.... upgrade reddwarf.co.uk servers to ones with an IQ greater than 6 before anymore new episodes.:-D

3. mr2mr2mr2

mr2mr2mr2 Skutter

First off, with so long away from our screens it was always likely that storyline was going to be more important than gags. Yes the gags were too few and yes the episodes weren't classics. But so what, they were never going to be.

I have to say that after watching all three episodes I was feeling like the guys had never been away. I hope Dave picks up a series or two because I would watch them every week (and buy the dvds).

If Dave does go ahead with this (which I hope they do) I'd like to see the guys in new terrible situations and the fact that Dave themselves have expanded the Red Dwarf ship visually gives rise to new storylines.

However, I would like to see more of the original crew and Rob Grant involved in future.
    Overall, Thumbs up Dave - Good Job.
    More
    More
    More
    More

4. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

What youve got to remember is that Doug wants along with everyone to bring back new series of Red Dwarf. In order to do this he needs to prove that they can get the viewings or else thered obviously be no point. The money which they had and the time frame with which they had to shoot was small, so small in fact that they were cutting the material minutes after it was filmed. What theyve done with the specials with what they had to start with is just that, Special, Espaecially after being out for 10 years. These specials admittantly wernt as funny as the older series but hey there back for a 1 half hour special after 10 years with just a small timeframe to shoot and still done a good job. The new series that will hopefully be made will i believe go back to the original standard, its just that there were important decisions that had to be made very quickly. I think the boys deserve more than a bit of credit.

5. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

yes, dave if you're reading this

if you fund it, there's an audience out there who will watch it in numbers. do the right thing. and call rob grant too. do two good things!

6. tingedpython

More
    More
    More
    More
    More
    More
    More
    More

7. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

My thoughts...

I think the first ep was an attempt by Doug to start with a pretty traditional type of Dwarf show to ease people in. Unfortunately I think that not having an audience really affected the actors` performances and the script was weak. So many of the jokes and ideas were recycled from previous shows where they had largely been done to a much more satisfactory standard. The characters also didn`t feel real at all.

Episode 2 seemed to be trying to appeal to the hardcore fanbase. Jokes about people who don`t like sci-fi and things of that nature were always likely to get a decent response on the boards but personally I felt it was all very obvious and unfunny. Obviously them finding they were all characters was a rip from Back to Reality where it had been done so much better and much more convincingly. There were also far too many self-indulgent Blade Runner references which didn`t add anything.

Episode 3. Possibly the least funny ep in Dwarf`s history. The scene with the typewriter had me cringing (and another recycled joke - this time from The Simpsons). Again more pointless Blade Runner stuff and a predictable rip again from Back to Reality. The Chloe stuff was more successful because it didn`t go for forced laughs but unfortunately the character stuff had been so dire up to this point that it`s hard to care.

On the whole, so disappointing after 10 years of waiting. If Dwarf continues then I pray Doug doesn`t try to do everything for himself again because he isn`t up to it. Norman was right about that if nothing else.

8. yukkaspecial

yukkaspecial Skutter

I liked it. The final episode tied it all together. I will be buying at least one copy of the DVD. Thanks guys

9. Charlie8

Charlie8 Skutter

First of all, I can't type any message without describing my sheer excitement at seeing Red Dwarf on television once again- wow!! Fantastic, and with such brilliant CGI the world of Red has rarely looked as outstanding and genuine. Overall I loved the trilogy, I thought it was touching, funny and even with the despair squid (to those who didn't like this element), I thought it was original indeed. To go to Earth as characters in an actual show is an idea I've always thought about, and Doug Naylor used it wonderfully here; that scene in the hardware store with the electronics salesmen was, in my opinion, hilarious. And the science fiction shop scene was comedy gold. The acting was great, though I feel Craig Charles deserves a notable mention. His performance was truly touching and it looks as though the soap work has done him a lot of good; not that he was bad before in the slightest, but to say that this is his best Dwarf work on an acting profession level is an understatement.
    I loved it, and inevitably I knew I would; it's Red Dwarf! It saddens me to here that there won't be a ninth series, I really would have loved to have seen the cliff hanger of series 8 solved on screen. I can only hope, though, that a tenth series is taken forward! I thought this trilogy would present a nice end to the show, but instead it has got me whooping 'More Dwarf!' to anyone who who will hear me. Well done Doug, top stuff:-D

10. evelyn

evelyn Third Technician

Whoaa! that tied things up....as neat as it could be! :-D As I've said before, for the amount of time and money that was available
    to do this, I was pretty impressed and pleased that we got to see the lads again after such a long break. I will be buying the
    dvd and anything else that will accompany the specials.

As to another series, YES!, I want a proper RD series made but I'm not sure whether Dave is THE channel to bring it back
    on - the advert breaks broke the flow of the scripts and that's the downside with a channel that needs adverts, they have to
    be put somewhere :crying: If Dave is the only channel willing to take on Red Dwarf proper, then they must realise that more budget
    would be required and longer episodes to facilitate those smegging adverts!

I like EVERY Red Dwarf series - no matter who wrote what and when - each had it's own charm and you can pick up any episode and standalone watch it for what it is - Long Live Red Dwarf!!

11. tingedpython

I couldnt agree more with the guy above, Dave has got to add more money to the series and give us longer episodes of the Dwarf. Please Please Please...Bring back Red Dwarf, if you dont then making these specials could actually be classed as pure torture. After watching Red Dwarf nearly everynight whilst im in bed getting to sleep, always wanting a new series to suppress my appetite for more dwarf, then making a three part special then pulling it again. Man i really couldnt handle that, Please More More More!
    BRING BACK THE DWARF!

12. Mischief

Mischief Skutter

I loved every second of it, its a shame Holly, starbug and more wasn't set in space like we're used to, but I haven't enjoyed TV like that in a long time. I think its sad that so called fans are being so hard on it. I hope it got enough viewing to push for a few new series. Thank you!!! SMEGGING QUALITY!!!

13. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

Well, this trilogy has finally moved me to join the forum :-)

Brilliant stuff! But it would have been much better to see the whole thing in one go.

And thanks for giving us Chloe as Kochanski, as Rachel. I'm also a Blade Runner fan and this was a great treat.

So, in the next series of RD, Lister is looking for Kochanski, right?

14. gstyle

gstyle Skutter

I truly enjoyed Back to Earth.

There were parts in each episodes that made me laugh out loud, indeed I seemed to find more to amuse me as each episode progressed.

It would have been nice to have some back story to link up with the end of series 8. They did open the first Back to Earth special stating 9 years had passed, so I will let my imagination fill the gaps on this one.

I agree with many that this should have been one long 60 minute show rather than the 3 seperate 20 minute slots. Breaking it up did affect the continuity. Considered as one long 60 minute episode it had all that I love about Red Dwarf. They was a bit more emotional intensity then in previous Red Dwarf but it worked well and added a sense of poignancy to the story.

Its interesting to reflect that over the course of ten years since the show was last on our tastes as viewers may well have evolved given the exposure we have had to new comedies since the end of series 8. Just a thought.

I truly enjoyed Back to Earth.

15. BattleMetalChris

BattleMetalChris Skutter

This.

I found that as soon as it was one man writing it (from series 7 onwards), the characters changed considerably and started doing things they never would have previously - Kryten's WHINING from series 7 onwards is a particular annoyance to me. An example from the BTE I thought was Rimmer 'air-drumming' while the crew tackled the squid - this is just something that Rimmer wouldn't do. If they had to do something like that have him do his prrp-prrp trumpet-noises along to the music which would have been much more in character. I found this happened in the books that were written seperately too, in Rob Grant's as well - I just didn't recognise the characters a lot of the time.

I'm not saying 'Doug Naylor is a rubbish writer', far from it, the guy can and has written some brilliant stuff, but without the other one there to say 'don't put that bit in - it isn't very funny' one person doing the writing produces very hit-and-miss results. There are some very funny moments, but there are some so cringingly unfunny I found myself putting my hands over my ears with embarrasment.

16. bot_manga

bot_manga Skutter

some part where good other parts not so good but on the whole i like it

17. PetersonsArm

PetersonsArm Skutter

Overall i found it very enjoyable but I miss the laughter track and the crummy yet awesome space ship models and scutters.

18. zombeatle01

zombeatle01 Skutter

Episode One left me with the feeling that this wasn't going to work out too well, but episode 2 and 3 reversed my opinion (happily)! I hope that this opens up the possibility of a new complete series now that they got the ball rolling again after all these years - it would be a shame to waste the momentum...

Overall, we enjoyed the new shows and even the kids were disappointed that the three shows were over.

I will buy the DVD in June.:-D

19. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

This might sound rubbish but I was quite emotional after watching the last part tonight.
    I really enjoyed it as a whole thing & was so glad that Red Dwarf was back.
    I can't wait to see where things go from here. I hope there is more to come.
    My only annoyance is the ad breaks on DAVE. Cos I have all the series on dvd, I have never watched the re-runs on DAVE.
    I think with how short an episode is, it could do without an ad break.
    I'd love to know what the viewing figures have been like.
    I haven't watched the whole thing yet and will be tomorrow. I can't wait. :-D

20. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

I felt just the opposite. Even without the audience, the first episode really worked, because it had that back and forth between Rimmer and Lister, which is what made the early series so good. Then it turned into more of a monster episode like the mid-series episodes.

But the characters felt right.

The second and third parts didn't.

It didn't help that I *despise* meta-fiction.