Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jammin

jammin Skutter

I was drunk when I watched it. Can anyone tell me what happened:0)

2. Reddwarfftw

Reddwarfftw Third Technician

As much as I like the audience laughter from S1-8 it just would not have worked AT ALL. The last episode is quite joke-lite and so the audience woulda just been sitting there lol. And another thing, I'm so glad there was no audience because it woulda meant that the plot would have been leaked. If I would have known the plot before hand I would have been really gutted as I did find the twists really surprising :-p A great special and bring on another series I say!

3. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Perhaps he saw a future echo:-D

4. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

my one little quibble is with the whole corrie thing, i think it would have been just as funny to say go and find norman lovvet, walikng his dog or stacking shelves in an unnamed supermarket

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I really liked the Corrie thing. The bit with the cutie in the shop really made me laugh. (Mainly Rimmer.) And while most of the Rovers bit didn't make me laugh out loud (ok, Craig's last comment did) it made me smile, and gave me a good feeling.

It is interesting how everyone likes and dislikes so many different things in these episodes isn't it? I've heard people hating the toilet paper gag (something that really cracked* me up) and some really loving the slapstick at the end (which I was really not keen on.) I know it's true for anything, but compared to past Dwarf series the specials really polarise opinion**, whether it be the thing as a whole or individual scenes.

*No pun intended. (Trying to catch a breeze. That still makes me smile.)

**Ok, I suppose one could say the same about series 7 and 8 to a degree. Although the majority seeme to dislike those... at least out of those who express an opinion online, anyway. (Which might not be a fair representation since people tend to wax louder with the negative opinions, and exaggerate when they do.) I don't include myself there though, I largely liked series 7 and 8.

6. frenchdwarf

frenchdwarf Skutter

I can't wait to see the whole show, will buy the dvd directly to see it. I know little about it but I'm sure I will be surprised. It's true some changes may disappoint some fans but after a while you get used to it... At least I did ! I'm sure if one day an official new series of Red Dwarf is made, some features will be included again. But the unexpected is so good sometimes, I can easily understand the writers who want to change the settings and characters and the tone of the series.

7. plagiarize

plagiarize Third Technician

budget forced lots of location work as they couldn't afford to build enough practical or virtual sets. even if they could have gotten in an audience for the studio bits, there's very few scenes that the audience could have appreciated.

frankly though, i wonder if it isn't partly to do with the more dramatic bent. for the first time outside of the books, red dwarf felt giant and empty and lonely. it's hard to convey loneliness when hundreds of people are laughing along with the actors.

an audience may have made the funny bits funnier by helping the actors with their timing and spurring them on, but i fear they'd have made stuff like the graveyard scene much worse.

8. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I think the reason the ship felt giant was just because of the effects. Nothing else.

For every scene an audience`s reaction could have been altered in the edit suite. If it had been edited to make it unobtrusive in the grave scene then there is no reason why it would have made it worse at all.

9. seanbarker

seanbarker Skutter

hey i kno dis doesnt really have anything to do with this topic but i have to ask... How come that in series 8 rimmer isnt a hologram and now in back to earth he is???:?

10. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

He was resurrected by Holly's nanobots in series 8, and obviously died (once again) between then and BTE :lol:

11. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Third Technician

After seasons 7 & 8, I really wasn't expecting much, so while they weren't the best episodes, they weren't the worst either. There some funny moments and some cheesy moments. I'll still buy it on DVD to complete my collection and wouldn't be against more episodes.

12. jammin

jammin Skutter

I have had a few drinks so excuse me if all sounds terrible but I'm hoping it makes sense.

I watched all 3 episodes with no breaks for the first time last night and it all makes sense to me now. I watched it firstly as a fan of RD and then I watched it as if I was Rob Grant. ie what would I do if I was the writer? Where would I go with it? ( I also think he thought of this when he wrote episode 3 ie what if someone else wrote the script?)What would I do? What would I have them do under the circumstances? That may sound selfish but as a critic and fan I think they are fair questions to ask. I guess we would all love to write our own episodes of RD and fulfill our own little fantasies of where we see them etc etc? Lister ultimately got his. Is it never ending RD??

Anyway so I though about what Rob was trying to achieve and the first thing is Back to Earth. The one thing we all suspected would happens as early as the first series. Marooned 3mil years from earth? Course they will end up home eventually and has been hinted at for a long time. So how to get them home after 10 succesfull series and not ruin/end as I have hopefully explained above, another route to the longevity to the series but at the same time keeping us thinking/hoping for more shows. Also tying into the theme of the 3 episodes. Life:0)

Genius

Its a bannana:0)

13. steff85

steff85 Second Technician

hello this is my first post so forgive me if i say anything silly, I just watched back to earth for the second time which I really love by the way, but a few things puzzle me, like how does Rimmer know about sat night tv shows where people laugh at people? Those wasn't on back when he would of last been on earth, and when Kryten tries to talk to the post box, why didnt lister or rimmer tell him what it was and that it wasn't a droid of some sort? I'm just really confused as to how much Lister knows about earth? is the earth they visit the future of the earth he left or the past? the dvd video bit confused me too although I do get easily confused. and how much does Rimmer know about earth. Is Rimmer even from earth? I know in the books hes not but not sure about the series, anyone explain lol thanks

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

In order, then:

Rimmer knows about TV shows in the 21st century the same way we all know about...I dunno, court jesters, people being put in the stocks or the burning of witches. You don't have to witness history first hand to have heard about it.

Why would Rimmer and Lister know what a 21st century post-box looked like? They're from 200 years (um...maybe) in the future where, one imagines, these things look somewhat different, if they exist at all. (Actually, if the show is to be believed, some post delivery pods look like mailboxes.)

The Earth they visited was approximately 2009. You know it's not Lister and Rimmer's period of origin since mankind has yet to move to the outer planets and begin interplanetary travel for mining operations. They come from a long way into our future. Where DVDs no longer exist and everyone uses triangular videos.

Rimmer knows about history. And most human history happened on Earth. But you'll note his knowledge is often mis-judged, mis-interpreted., It's from documentaries, books, guesswork. He thinks Columbo discovered America!

In the books Rimmer is from the moon of Io. We assume the series back-history is the same.

15. steff85

steff85 Second Technician

ahhh that all makes sence, i have even commented on the triangle videos before silly me, so thinking about the fact they their earth was way in the future to right now it does all make sence. thanks for answering :-)

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Back To Earth was written by Doug Naylor not Rob Grant. ;-)

17. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

To add to that, in series 7 Kryten does not know what a bra is and explains that he got rid of all unnecessary files, which in this case, could also explain why he does not know what an old post box looks like.

18. jammin

jammin Skutter

Told you I'd been drinking:0)

19. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

it would have made more sene if the thought it was a post pod as they look like post boxes

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. He didn't think it likely that he would be swanning around 21st Century Earth any time soon (especially having just been there... well 20th century, but anyway... in Tikka.)

It does make one wonder though... considering it's all an illusion... where did the postboxes come from? I guess someone in the team must have seen them, possibly in an old photo, even if they didn't know what they were. Actually, maybe Rimmer did know what they were,- what with his interest in 20th Century telegraph poes and all - and just couldn't be smegged to tell Kryten. As Holly said in 'Waiting for God': "It's a laugh, innit?" That time at Rimmer's expense.