Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

2. starbugtwo

starbugtwo Second Technician

better smeg than dead:roll: it is better have some red dwarf than no red dwarf at all and it was not as bad as some say . it was still better than the stuff on the box of late . it was different yes and had many questions about what the smeg had gone on since the last ones but in time i expect we would find out and come to except it for what it is.
    the books are very far from what was the box but hey still i except it all as dwarf and consider this ,if to many folk make to much noise and rocking the boat then the makers may well say it is not worth the trouble and not do any more . i am sure they don't mind fair comments but some seem to be OTT as to what opinion they say in public .just as the new trek film is a subject of mixed views i think at least it will be a start of a whole new trek and more money to spend on yet more trek stuff .... So this may well be a start of some new dwarf and i will let the makers make what is their baby which we get to see and enjoy hopefully if not well put that dvd in and watch the ones you like and let the world be a sci- fi one with plenty of dwarf. trek. battlestar and who etc etc but then what do i know
    smeg happens:lol:

3. MrsAceRimmer

MrsAceRimmer Second Technician

I throughly enjoyed BTE different from older RD still RD 8) Smeggin brillient :-D I've been a dwarfer for 21 years
    Here's to the next 21 years of Red Dwarf!

Mrs AR

4. BonjelaPrincess

BonjelaPrincess Third Technician

My friend and I just sat and watched the whole BTE again on Dave. I saw it when it first came out but it was nice to see it with another Dwarf fan. We've both decided that it's not what we first thought it was going to be like but we still enjoyed it because it uses ideas from the older series/episodes (which we both love).

5. Rambodeish

Rambodeish Skutter

Overall I felt Back To Earth was OK, depending on the context. As dozens of folk have said already, the budget and time constraints have limited the quality of what BTE set out to be (whatever it was, the ultimate end or an audience probe for a new series), but I'm thrilled that the team themselves have united with such enthusiasm to make more Red Dwarf.

I really disliked the CGI, I detest it unless it ultimately looks real, to which I would suggest the use of the real objects instead. The Scutters etc. could have been resurrected for this show. They know we love the low-budget puppetry so why do they insist on trying to "modernise" the Dwarf? Keep it real and simple. The charm of Red Dwarf was the fact it was like a play, with great actors/actresses. Also, the lack of the audience laughter was offputting, and I geniunely hope it is added in the new series (wink wink nudge nudge ;-))

But with all this, I'm in high hopes! With a bigger budget this could all be rectified, and surely Dave can see that the number of Dwarfers clearly beat any of their other viewing figures :-) Plus, they commissioned Argumental, and that is truly, truly b*llocks.

6. MrsAceRimmer

Yeah Argumental was pants I agree a new series of RD would be smeggin brilient 8)
    Mrs AR

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

The skutters are not low budget, they cost thousands of pounds, thats why they were animated, it wasn't to glam the show up, all the CGI was there for a reason, how would the cargo deck look if it was the size of a stage? Not very good.

8. MrsAceRimmer

I liked the special effects I think they worked well yes your right the scutters cost alot of money
    Mrs AR

9. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I quite like Arguemental. Not as good as say Mock the Week but the best Dave produced show I have seen.

10. RedDwarf09

RedDwarf09 Second Technician

If all the other shows on Dave had to be canceled to make a Series 10 Red Dwarf, then I wouldn't mind in the slighest.

11. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    If they were anything like the first six series I would completely agree with you. If it was anything like BTE then not so much.... or at all.

12. Vark

Vark Skutter

Hi

I finally got round to watching Back to Earth this weekend and its on the whole a big let down. I thought the first episode was cringeworthy bad, nothing original, the second showed slight improvement and I think the last 10-15 minutes of episode 3 was the best.

What was the point ripping off Blade Runner in a spoof way - signs of the creator having nothing new or original.

Also to bring back the "despair squid" storyline with the "joy squid". I mean come on what is going on !

I was hoping for a new and original story but it borrowed so many elements from other programmes/movies it was more like a spoof than Red Dwarf.

To sum it up, I was expecting the new Doctor Who, instead I got Red Dwarf which had more in common with cardboard walls and rubber monsters !

13. MrsAceRimmer

I'd like to see more Red Dwarf too
    Mrs AR

14. starbugtwo

hear hear , better smeg than dead

15. ledomah

ledomah Skutter

I enjoyed the new Red Dwarf but I really missed the laugh track/audience reaction. Made it feel very empty, like the soul was missing.
    Really hoping a new season is on its way :-D

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I missed the laugh track in the first episode, but I forgot about it during the next two episodes. I think this is largely due to the 'on location' feel to those episodes but I do think you just get used to these things. At least I do.

17. MrsAceRimmer

I did'nt notice the lack of laughter track much myself I was too absorbed in the episodes
    Mrs AR

18. starbugtwo

i noticed gaps in the sound either due to lack of laughter or music which affected the feel but as it went on it was less of a issue for me

19. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

That's what happens with me- I notice it not being there in ep 1, but by the end of the first scene of ep 2 I stop noticing. This is with rewatches as well.

20. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

did anyone elses notice the "rimmer droids" from the rimmer exprerence