Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MrsAceRimmer

MrsAceRimmer Second Technician

Yes I did notice them :-)
    Mrs AR

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

It's also a reference to Bladerunner.

3. MrsAceRimmer

Yes Jack it is indeed
    Mrs AR

4. kraftytactics

kraftytactics Third Technician

Im new on here so very late to this convo but want to say i loved the three episodes mainly because i was happy to see the guys back again and a new story...reading through i see BTE is a bit of a marmite topic.

5. MrsAceRimmer

Hi Kal welcome to our chat:-) yes it is a "Marmite" story I love it it's good it was audio described as my friend is blind he loves RD
    Mrs AR

6. karene

karene Skutter

Anyone got an idea on when Back to Earth will be released in Australia? Or is the UK edition setup as regions 2&4?:roll:

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I doubt it will be regions 2 and 4. Keep you eye on the News section though, it should appear there.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well, every Dwarf DVD thus far has been authored for 2 and 4, so it's not as unlikely as it sounds.

And yeah, international releases are bound to happen - and be announced on the main site.

9. Dr_Smeghead_phd

Dr_Smeghead_phd Skutter

My general feeling, (having now watched the slightly shorter "Directors Cut") is it greater than the sum of it's parts.

Overall it isn't three great brand new episodes of Red Dwarf, it's either:

One atypical standard Red Dwarf episode with an odd ending
    One plodding expository set of scenes with some very funny jokes
    One rather good conclusion with what at first is a cop out ending, but is infact it's own healing process.

OR:

One FANTASTIC Red Dwarf adventure, which is as close, and better than any film we're going to get from them.

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I got Back to Earth yesterday from Sainsbury's (other supermarkets are available, but they're not as good). I've just watched it for the first time in the Director's Cut on a decent sized TV with a decent sound system, and it makes a lot of difference. I really enjoyed it. I have renewed hope that they can pull of another series. I still don't think the scene in the Creator's mansion worked all that well, but the rest was great.

11. DwarferFan

DwarferFan Third Technician

Personally I think there's as much good in it as bad, so it's up the viewer which they want to focus on. But it has grown on me more since watching the Director's Cut.

Sadly the Coronation Street scenes stick out like a sore thumb for me. I think it would of worked better without it, cause then it would of been EP 1 on Red Dwarf, EP 2 Back On Earth and then EP 3 Blade Runner Spoof. Instead we get Coronation Street crowbarred inbetween Nose World & The Creator which it just ruins the flow for me.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. The interesting thing is, a lot of what we consider bad/good is different. I rather liked the Corrie scenes for example (although the 'landing scene' on the lead up makes me cringe) but I wasn't keen on some of the stuff in the Creator's room and some of the stuff in the comic shop. (Mainly the lack of reaction from the comic book guy and the prolonged "Guess who it is..." joke followed by the 'can you use...' etc.)

I also wish there was a bit more reaction when they shot out of the TVs to 'our world'. I guess the ending could explain that, i.e. anything a barrier to their happiness was disallowed, but the misdirection would have been nice. It's not as if they were incapable of unhappiness in that world. Happiness seemed to be the end rather than the means. (If that makes sense.)

Overall it was good I think. The ending in particular was satisfying. (That sounds funny, I don't mean it like that!)

13. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

I actually like the landing scene, it's just mocking the fact that they are in a Starbug shape car. I also find it sooo much better on the directors cut as it is not split. There are moments in the directors cut that don't quite connect together very well, and in their place we see a black screen. But the rest is very good with a few tweaks here and there.

I would love there to be more, but I wonder why everyone assumes that series 9/10 have to be set 9 previously. Series 9 could be set many years after series 8 and start with a series 7 style flash back, with added extras from the out takes while series 10 could be directly before BTE, making it so the characters do not even look out of place (sorry if that's already been suggested, really can't be bothered to go through 23 or pages pages).

As for the corrie scenes, I do think that they are well placed, as it is titled back to earth and craig does work on corrie, so it just goes hand in hand.... I do not think it would have been good going to a scrap yard or somewhere with massive machines :lol: I also think that it works just that little better not being split at the beginning of the corrie scene, but that's just what I think :-D

14. MrsAceRimmer

I'm getting BTE tommorrow :-)
    Mrs AR

15. plagiarize

plagiarize Third Technician

just wanted to say that watching the director's cut cemented my feelings about Back to Earth.

it's flipping brilliant.

i went and watched the extended/remastered 'Tikka to Ride' afterwards as well for some more dwarf with a similar flavour. one thing it really showed was how amazing the Red 1 camera is. good lord does the DVD look excellent compared to the others. i can't wait for the Blu-Ray (though i know the diving bell sequence is going to suffer a bit).

it's really like a filmed version of an unused sequence from one of the books. i love the books. i love the deeper characters within. i love the lonelyness...

Back to Earth: Directors cut was superb. just superb.

16. MrsAceRimmer

BTE is smeggin brillient the extras are good too :-)
    Mrs AR

17. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Each time I watch BTE, it's better than the last. And I thought it was great to begin with! Doug's commentary was excellent too, often I find commentaries difficult to follow, but his kept me interested all the way through. I've yet to hear the cast commentry, looking forward to it!

The extras rule. Smeg ups are great, especially Robert trying to get the love-chuck-pal-sir line right! The video about the special effects was really interesting too. It's wierd seeing the diving bell set from outside in the making-of video, it's so small!

18. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I still have yet to get through all of extras but I have to agree that BTE gets better and better and better.

BTW: My wife grew up speaking Russian and she said Sophie's Russian is very convincing and she is not sure that there is only one word to describe Rimmer in Russian...

19. Shepherdrianna

Shepherdrianna Skutter

I Thought That Back To Earth Was Quite Intresting, As I Have Been Watching Red Dwart Since The Second Series And I Have Been Following It, But What I Don't Understand Is There Going To Be Another Series Out ????

20. MrsAceRimmer

I'd like to see another series :-)I don't know if there definately will be another series sorry :-(
    Mrs AR