Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Nothing is confirmed yet. :-(

2. MrsAceRimmer

MrsAceRimmer Second Technician

true Btw love your Fibble pic :-)
    Mrs AR

3. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Having finally seen BTE I'm well impressed! I liked the editing and the effects were awesome, there were moments of comedy genius and we also got to see how much the actors had devolped their skills. I did miss the laughter a bit at the beginning, but then got used to it and didn't notice it wan't there. Perhaps because I saw the director's cut first rather than the episodes I am more impressed by the final product- a big thumbs up! :-D

4. Mellissa_Maple-Syrup

Mellissa_Maple-Syrup Third Technician

It made me laugh, cry, cheer, clap (yes, actually clap like a demented seal). Sublime, brilliant, inventive, surprising, familiar, and felt strangely like my first ever Dwarf experience - that this was something different, funnier, cleverer than I'd seen before.

A big thumbs up from me... all three of them. :-O

It also gets better every time you watch it, which I think is the true test of whether something is good or not.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Although I didn't think BTE was great, I find it satisfying that a lot of fans reacted this way. When I first saw it I feared pretty much all fans would hate it. But a lot seemed to like it, which bodes well for the future.

6. MrsAceRimmer

I was relieved when there was a positive response to BTE I was concerned that a new story may not be recived well as there was a long gap since the last series. Thankfully I was wrong I have the dvd box set and I love it :-)
    Mrs AR

7. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I thought it was poor rip-off of the original LOG Apocalypse.

The above is of course me doing an immpression of an idiot, my actual opinion -
    'Back to Earth' was scary to say the least, I mean I have so much faith in Doug and the cast that they would do a great story but I always had that worry that it wouldn't meet my expectations. So when the first episode aired on that wonderful April 10th my fears were destroyed as the mew story was both interesting and funny, it wasn't the best Red Dwarf ever but it was gosh darn far from the worst.
    How on earth when Series IX airs (I have faith) I will wait 7 days till the next episode because the 23 and a half hour wait was just painful, still when episode 2 finally arrived it didn't disappoint, infact it was not only alot more interesting than the first one but I don't think I stopped laughing through the episode, easily the strongest part of the story episode 2 is certainly in my top 5 episodes of Red Dwarf.
    Again I had the 23 hour and a half wait, grr, but when the time finally arrived for the final part I wasn't expecting to be disappointed, which is lucky because I wasn't, episode 3 was just brilliant from start to finish, the coronation street stuff proved a nice little set of scenes but when they got to the Creator it really picked up, from the little Rimmer things which just took me completly by suprise (with so little time to do all the effects they managed THAT!) to the appearance of Chloe Annet which is the best kept secret in TV history. The end being a call back to 'Back to Reality' was nice, I can see why Doug did it because these episode are really written for the fans, to me this just seems like a love letter to the fans from Doug.
    Good work Doug, no great work Doug. Thank you for making the last 10 years wait worth it.

8. edoftech

edoftech Skutter

hello, i thought this was great, and i hope the hints about the extra seasons being true

9. MrsAceRimmer

Yes more RD would be great I guess we will have to wait and see
    Mrs AR

10. Erulisse

Erulisse Third Technician

Hmm I think Red Dwarf fan's everywhere held their breath in anticipation just before the release of these three episodes, my personal opinion is I LOVED THEM, however they did have draw backs. I didn’t think they ran well as separate episodes I think it would have been more enjoyable as one long episode, and secondly I am one of those of the opinion that the live audience (or canned laughter) was much better ON rather then off – I felt it lacked that magic.

But none less I enjoyed them ^ ^ The actors had lost nothing they still all had it 100% and the plot was pretty great, once again great British writing!

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Wow ! there are some very varied opinions on here. some interesting and insitefull and some very patranizing and contradictive. i will try not to fit into the latter catagory. basicly i loved it ! ,it was a lot better than i had expected , especialy concidering how long it had been away and that the script was written around the budget and in a very short space of time.plus as we all know this was an extended ep that never should have been split up, but that couldnt be helped. as for the so called flaws in the show they were just the same sort of 'flaws' that the show has allways had and for me is part of the RD charm. I felt that it was a strong script that did everything an Annaversary special should do. the bunk room and ship as a whole looks better than ever and it was great to finally see G deck and other parts of the ship
    as dicribed in the books and early series.

we will never all agree on what the best and worse things are in BTE but i was absolutly as to how any felow dwarfer could hate it so much. I honestly believe that had this been in any of the past series
    it would be conciderd a classic, even by some of those who slagged it off. I think its a shame that some 'hardcore fans' who grew up watching dwarf just will not allow themselves enjoy any new eps simply because they have evolved into a slightly different show.
    and even if series 9 turns out to be the 'best by miles' there will still be some that hate it :-(
    maby im being a bit harsh,but maby some of those people just look at old eps through rose tinted glasses. or maby they have 'grown out' of red dwarf (lost they're way) its sad when that happens.like the people who no longer listen to or feel music the way they once did.

maby i have been a bit patronizing after all (oh the irony) but then i been around humans for a while now.
    any way i am looking forwards to series 9 (which is surly to happen soon isnt it?) lets just hope Dave gives it a longer time slot.

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

While I agree that I don't understand how Dwarf fans could hate BTE (especially once they'd viewed it all and stopped panicking over the alledged meta-stuff it seemed to be veering towards before the big reveal) I think its a little harsh to say that people don't have genuine criticisms over the way the series went downhill, whether its the fact that large chunks of 7 were lacking humour and suffered from cast disruption or that 8 veered too closely towards a caricature of itself and too often decended into overly crude humour and poorly explained plot devices.
    These are valid criticisms in my eyes. Having recently rewatched the first four series for the first time in years I'm happy to say they're as fresh as ever but something tells me I won't be feeling a new affinity for 7 and 8 when I get to them.

BTE seemed to be turning it around though, so I hope to see more of that kind of Dwarf in the future.

13. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins

Well start with there being only one remotely funny joke in the whole thing and move on from there.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Overall it wasn't as funny as Old Dwarf* in terms of quantity of gags. BUT there was more than one joke to laugh at for me. And the bits I found funny, I found very funny.

*Which isn't a criticism in itself as I'm aware the tone of the episode was meant to be different. I actually liked it overall, but some bits were better than others. That goes for both the humourous and serious stuff.

15. Freeborn

I would never insinuate that people cant and dont have valid criticisms but i just think some take it a bit to far , saying they hate it and that people who like it are wrong. i love every series and think each has strenghs and weakneses. I have to disagree that 'large chunks of 7 were lacking humour, the show definetly took a shift in direction, (one that i didnt mind mind at all) but some of those ep's are class and very funny ( imo) rimmer leaving was always going to effect the show but i think it was delt with very well concidering. as for series 8 'Back in the red Extended ' is one of my faves of all time. every one has the right to criticise ( it shows pasion for the show) but personaly i think doug gets a hard time from some fans. i honestly didnt feel that the writing went downhill at all, it was just a bit diferent , more space adventure less sitcom.
    there are some things that i wasent as keen on in BTE like there being a bit to many bladerunner refrences, which some didnt mind. but then movie spoofs had been done before with ep's like 'Camile ' (not one of my faves) some people hate the 'corrie' scene but i liked it (didnt think i would but i did) the references to craigs ahem past problems were spot on:-)
    all in all i think BTE worked well as a special and is in good sted for the future.

16. Freeborn

Additional: simon- Too much sarcasm warps your brain, out of iterest what in your opinion is the ' only remotely funny joke in the whole thing'?

17. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    The 'in my country we have a word for people like you - in mine we have several' one. The other attempts I can remember at jokes are just painful - eg Lister and the hand dryer.

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Lister and the hand dryer was dreadful. It's more of a cringe, and not a sort of "American Pie" style cringe either. Shame really, the original scene for all that was so much more Dwarf-ish

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Jumping up and down trying to catch a breeze.

I found that image very funny (if a bit disturbing). (To my defence, I don't just laugh at rude humour though.)

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree that the hand dryer and the tomato sequence fell flat but if you only laughed once in the whole 3 eps then I think personally you need to have a word with your sense of humour. Off the top of my head I'd would add Kryten's explanation for why RD uses videos. Craig Charles "Priory" line. Lister's facial expressions in the comic store. The CSI parody. The psy-scan bit as all being laugh-out-loudable. You'll notice they're all long pieces of dialogue or acting though. If you're looking for rapid-fire jokes and one liners, well they were there too but I think part of the reason they don't work so well is that they rely on a live audience and feel...well...a bit odd in a filmic show like BTE where there's no audiance to play off.
    If future Red Dwarf's stick to this format I'd rather Doug doesn't try to awkwardly force them in and sticks to more elabourate payoffs laugh-wise.