Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

The hand dryer joke was childish but hey, i found it funny anyway. i do however agree about the tomato gag, after the long build up it seemed to be a bit of an anti climax, i still laughed though, but mainly because it was good to see that good old Listy still goes out of his way to annoy rimmer. but imo the joke itself was not the best way to start the show. the psy-scan joke nearly made me choke on my peanuts from laughing so hard :-)
    interesting point about the one liners, personely i think many of them still work but i know what you mean, it sometimes doesnt feel quite as natural for the actors,not having an audience to bounce off.and of course its not what we
    the viewers are used to either.the
    longer payoffs definatly work well for the more filmic style but id like the good old one liners to stay, as long as theyr'e good

2. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I had a word and my sense of humour says it is fine.

I think I saw the videos bit too much in the adverts for BTE to find it funny in the show although I don't think I ever found it funny. I can't even remember any of the other sections which shows how big an impact they made on me.

There is nothing wrong with long pieces of dialogue or acting but I didn't think the acting in this was particularly great and the script just didn't work. I missed the audience, not for the laugh track but because I still think the actors do better with an audience to play off. Some of the lines might have worked better if the delivery (or possibly editing) had been better.

Elaborate is fine but I'm still waiting for the payoff.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

A nice summary of BTE appears on the TV Tropes websites article on Red Dwarf where the special is nominated as the series "Crowning moment of heartwarming":

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedDwarf

"From the opening montage with the triumphant Power Walk, to the Shout Outs to every previous season, all the way to the optimistic Bittersweet Ending, it's impossible to watch the special and not smile once".

I think that's a nice summary. No the show isn't a laugh a minute, but guess what, it wasn't supposed to be. the show certainly kept me smiling throughout though and, I don't mind saying it, brought a tear to my eye more than once and some satisfied applause after it was over.

If we never get a 'real' ending, then this will do for me.

4. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Yeah I think I had tears in my eyes. Shame they were because it was because I couldn't believe how bad the jokes they were attempting were. I'm also trying to remember anything original from the show - Recycled plot ideas, 'homages' and the 'it was all a dream'. I know Doug can write well - I really enjoyed Last Human and series 7 and 8 did have some good stuff in them, but he is doing a George Lucas on us.
    I wasn't expecting it to be a laugh a minute but I wasn't expecting it to be a laugh an hour either.
    I think it might have been better if at least 20 minutes were cut from it. Series 8 had the same problem of not enough ideas to fill the time (Back in the Red should have been 2 parts tops)

5. bedfordfalls

That wasn't always the case though was it. Only the Good, for example, suffered the reverse with far too many ideas crammed into it with little to no explanation of how they came about.

It's evident that you didn't enjoy Back to Earth but I still wonder if you had different expectations from most based on your comments. The show wasn't written as a new series, it was written to celebrate the 20th anniverary of Red Dwarf with little to no budget and alot of people working for nothing out of love for the show. Of course it recycled ideas; that was the point, it was meant as a tribute to the show we all loved not as a new series. Perhaps in exceeding these humble origins and turning into a full on 3 parter it led many people to expect more of it.
    In my view, as someone who was at one point expecting little more than a nostalgic clip show segmented by material similar to that which appeared on various Children in Needs I was amazed at what the team managed to get out as a final product.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

There's no point trying to change his mind. Back to Earth was a different format to before, in much the same way as Series 7 was a different format and series 8 was an attempt to recapture the earlier style (to an extent). We don't all have the same sense of humour and as such a style or format change can result in keen Dwarfers who just don't like it. It's like how we don't all love and hate the same episodes. It's all to do with our tastes, in format, story, drama, humour, etc, and how we perceive the show based on those tastes. Expectations are only a small part.

7. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

You could be right, I just think a 3 parter, a two parter and a cliff hanger are a bit over the top when there are only 8 episodes in the series.

Even if you just see it as a tribute, it doesn't mean it should just rehash old ideas. A good tribute would remind you what you loved about something not just nick ideas from it. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't this. I think the main thing I was expecting was to find it funny. It might have been if they had stuck to the 2 shows for this and the sketch show thing instead. I was actually really looking forward to that one.

8. MrsAceRimmer

MrsAceRimmer Second Technician

Yes excelent writing indeed :-)
    Mrs AR xxx

9. prowler

prowler Third Technician

I am sorry but I have been away for such a long time...I was wishing some one would tell me about back to earth since I can now get it in the U.S. I did read a little bit of the thread but did not want to spoile anything.

10. MrsAceRimmer

Thats ok please feel free to chat about BTE with us :-)
    Mrs AR xxx

11. MrsAceRimmer

I saw then all in one sitting that was much better :-)
    Mrs AR xxx

12. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Skutter

I just bought the DVD and was wondering if I should watch the Director's Cut or the Episodes? What's different about the Dircetor's Cut? Please keep in mind I haven't seen BTE yet, so I'm trying to figure out which is better for a first viewing.

13. bedfordfalls

The Directors Cut is slightly shorter but nothing important has been removed. Although I havn't got the DVD I'd advise you to watch the Directors Cut as that's the way the Director clearly would have liked it to go out.
    The show really suffered in the TV slot and would have been better shown as one long movie as the individual episodes arn't paced like regular episodes and as a result episode 1 in particular felt very slow paced.

14. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Skutter

Okay, then that's what I'll do. Thanks. :-)

15. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

One thing I didn't like about BTE was the set. I just felt it didn't feel like red dwarf. I think it was the fact that it's been ten years since the last Red dwarf was made and times have changed. But I just feel that the set looks so modern and new,to me it just dosen't feel like red dwarf. I mean the set did look amazing but it just isn't the same, I wanted the set to look a bit tacky. But I'm glad it has that series 1 and 2 feel to it.

16. jd05uk

jd05uk Third Technician

If there was more time in the story, I would have liked them to have visited Mr Brittas at Whitbury Newtown Leisure Centre, or have the line "a sitcom set in a leisure centre" instead of the biscuit factory. They also could have visited Robert at Scrapheap and Danny doing whatever he's doing.

17. bedfordfalls

I didn't get the choice of "biscuit factory" for the joke either, like you say "leisure centre" would have been much funnier and more inkeeping with the meta-nature of the show.

18. STAR_PIRATE

STAR_PIRATE First Technician

I think Back to Earth was good, but would have liked it to have continue from series 8... in some way... I mean how did Rimmer get off Red Dwarf as it was being destroyed. But hey maybe we'll find out if series 9 comes along.

19. bedfordfalls

The idea behind the 9 year unexplained gap is twofold.

1. Not explaining it means you have more time to get on with telling the story of Back to Earth in the limited time it has.

2. It creates all new unexplored backstory for characters who by the end of the TV series most of us felt we knew everything about. This can now be explored and refenced in the new series that follow BTE and lead to less rehashed or familiar material.

There's also the fact that a real life 9 year gap means that realistically, outside of nerds like us who know every episode off by heart, there will be quite a huge number of Red Dwarf fans who don't remember how the show ended and therefore don't require an explanation to an obscure ending that would likely only confuse them.

Not explaining it = definately the right call by Doug, in my book.

Plus I maintain that canon be damned I can now pleasantly pass off series 8 as merely a dream...for now at least :-)

20. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

They should have started it with Rimmsy in the shower and Lister saying "I just had the most amazing dream."