Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Philthehippy

Philthehippy Skutter

32yo_Original_Dwarfer I could not disagree with you any stronger.
    Yes it was not the best Red Dwarf project I have seen but it was still
    thoroughly entertaining. I presume that you dislike Polymorph 2? as
    the concept was used previously for Polymorph. I loved the Blade Runner
    stuff as Im a massive fan. If you are a 32yo original fan then surely you
    do not need Wikipedia to confirm there is not a series you missed.
    Maybe just maybe that is a hint to what is coming. Could you maybe just
    try to be happy that the show we all love has something new for us all to
    enjoy.

One last note about the BBC. I can not be any happier that the blood sucking
    channel that used to be the BBC had nothing to do with this. I find it
    strange that they can be so unsupportive to one of its most successful shows.
    Thanks so much to Dave

2. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

There were admittingly some teething problems with these specials as a result of being away for 10 years, but i believe there isnt one problem that has come up in the specials that wouldnt be fixed with a bit more time getting used to the way dwarf used to be. But one thing that has caught my attention more than anything with this 3 parter is craig charles and his acting. Robert, Chris and Danny were without doubt back to there usual class but Craig has matured as an actor in such a way that he has allowed me to see the Dwarf in a different way. He showed a different side to Lister that has made a new series i think more appealing. He seems to have developed much more flexibility with his acting and created a new depth with lister that will make new episodes of Red Dwarf more exciting. With more time and money a new series would not just be good, it now has the capability of being great. Come on Dave pull those fingers out and sign the dotted line, You have all the old fans and now with these specials many more... BRING BACK THE DWARF!!!!!!!

3. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

I fixed it for you.

4. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

It would definatley help i couldnt disagree.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Overall rather pleased and impressed. It was a good, intricate and intriguing story and was well acted.

I'm actually rather sad that it's all over.

6. Tazbert

Tazbert Skutter

Having recorded the last 2 shows, I finally caught up on Ep 2 & 3 this evening with a couple of beers and then had a read through on here about people's reactions. I think we have a definite 'Marmite' situation! ;-)

I love RD and was delighted when they announced they'd do the specials. But having seen 'em all now, I'll admit I'm a little bit "Hmmmmmm".

I agree that the ep's were a little too short and I have to admit that having watched a couple of the older episodes as well, the lack of a laugh track\audience does seem to take a certain something away from it. Breaking 'em up into 3 also didn't help. But as already stated, Dave had to get as much ad revenue out of the show as possible. The only other mumble I'd have is that the episodes just kind of stopped. As if someone stopped talking mid-sentence. But again, I guess this was more down to the format. A little disappointed that the story was a bit of a re-hash of the Despair squid too. But hey ho, they've done that before!

For me, watching the Back to Earth episodes was a bit like meeting an old friend again. One you've not seen for a long while. Someone who used to be a proper drinking buddy and someone you used to go out on the pish with all the time and having a right laugh. Then when you meet 'em, they've aged a bit, got married, got kids and settled down. Sure theres still hints of that mate you knew, but you have that slight sense of disappointment that despite the fact you might go out again & beered up on the odd occasion for old times sake, those 'old' days are unlikely to be repeated.

Still, it was great just to see RD back on the box. The production, given budget etc, was pretty good. And there's definite promise there. I hope that the viewing figures are enough to persuade Dave (or even the BBC?) to pick the show up and run with a 6-8 episode series. Or perhaps even some funding for the long mooted movie version?

Have a feeling BTE might be a bit of a grower for me.

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Well, I think the general consensus is a positive one.

I far preferred it to series VII and VIII. Well done to everyone involved. It was an incredible achievement.

I have always wondered what it must have felt like to watch Back to Reality first time off (I saw it as the FIRST episode of a repeated series, so I knew that its ending would be fine) Now I know.

The script included some very funny gags (including the wonderfully self-depricating "priory" woofer from mr charles). The plot was very complex and in hindsight fascinating.

The episode length was a major hindrance. As I've said in a previous post BTE Part 1 should have been 2 episodes to allow the story to breathe and give more classic dialogue time. Episode 1 felt rushed rather than relaxed.

In many ways this would have worked better as two one-hour (45 minute) slots rather than 3 20 minute ones. A laugh track in episode one ONLY would have been very good and added to the conceit by NOT being present in episode 2.

I think we all would have liked an explanation about how Red Dwarf was saved and how Rimmer died/returned. People are saying that this is the original Rimmer because of the despair squid antibodies. Not true as surely these are stored in Holly/back-up computer not in only one version of Rimmer...But some exposition would have been welcomed.

The acting was superb throughout and the homage to Back to Reality was greatly appreciated.

Pour yourself a glass of bubbly, Andrew, and one for Mr Naylor. Longer episodes next time, please. Yes. That's next time. I'm sure there will be one!

8. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

Hrm. As a series of three specials it felt like a bit of an exercise in the pointless.
    As a story, it might've been nice to see a more specific goal or motivation at play.

Then again, as something that replaced a live night of quotes and memories, this was probably the same fun tour through nostalgia, with at least something more to take away from it.

It's odd to think back to the soundbyte about the third issue winning the fans back over.
    It had it's moments, but on the whole, Part 3 lessened the impact of the entire trio in a rather disatisfying, and overly familiar, way. I wonder what about the affair demanded an extension from a first episode bait, and a second issue switch. :?

9. jennytablina

jennytablina Skutter

Technically: Lister was looking for Konchanski all along. In back to reality the guy manning the game says thats Listers main aim of the game: though that motivation went in 7 and 8 because they sort of found her. Though I wonder how Lister and Konchanski managed to get so serious. They were pretty Platonic together in the recent seasons but something seems to have happened since to respark Listers feelings at least.

Thought the trilogy as a whole was fantastic: great to see the crew get away from 100% CGI sets and get another environment to mess about in. I had some concerns with the first part, but the other 2 really brought it back to form. It wasn't all perfect, but in all honesty perfect is an unrealistic aim for a series revival that was against the odds due to time at least. It had some great gags: repeat viewings make each part so much better as you find more of the subtle humor and the characters were bang on.

I would echo the sentiment that if RD is going to get a series commission from Dave. I honestly hope its longer than 30 mins. as it felt at times that even with the extent of this 3 parter: there was a struggle to squeeze in the plot at points I think, its a shame Rimmer, Cat and Kryten didnt get to meet their real selves.

Eather way congrats to the RD crew and thanks a lot: you made our familys easter weekend a little bit brighter : )

10. Earl

Earl Skutter

I must admit i missed the canned laughter at first but i got used to it. Great to see the boys from the Dwarf again !
    I think BTE was good, its much better when viewed as a whole and not split up. I will be getting the dvd in june ! We found out what happened to Kochanski... I just wish we would have got a little info on the series 8 ending... maybe we will in series 10 ?
    My favorite parts were Rimmer killing the female hologram and Dave using the typewriter to attack Rimmer and Kryton !
    i was a little let down that it was all a female despair squid. but i loved how they said that they are the real people and we the viewers are the made up reality ! It made me laugh... Rimmer was right.

11. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

One more thing...

...I've never seen Blade Runner. Whereas not seeing James Bond or Casablanca doesn't spoil your enjoyment or understanding of Stoke Me a Clipper or Camille, I did feel that there were things going on in BTE3 that I just couldn't get. I was very conscious of the fact that some people were probably getting more out of that episode than I did.

I don't mind though... it will give me an excuse to watch Blade Runner now.

Should it be the director's cut version?

12. bkershaw

bkershaw Skutter

I missed the show and was glad to see it again! Kinda missed the laugh track though.

13. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

'The Final Cut' is the one to go for, and handily the one out on DVD right now.

14. Wuggyboobeaufuf

You're wrong.

15. plantejr

plantejr Third Technician

I finished watching the whole thing and I for one thought it was brilliant! Yes I missed the laugh track and I never did like the bigger special effects. I liked the days when you could see the string holding the props LOL. But all in all I am just extremely happy they got back together for this event. I also hope they continue and create a new series.

16. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Count the number of posters (not posts - posters) and get back to me on that one...

17. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Thanks Andrew! As ever, a swift response to a movie question.

You're my er... Barry Norman??

18. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Funny, because I've noticed a few comment of how many new posters have signed up and are complaining.

Ergo, you're wrong.

19. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Will the DVD release contain an Xtended episode, with previously deleted material reinserted? I'd like to see how the original script matched up with the finished product.

20. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Completely unrelated. I saw some Barry Norman pickled onions...Apologies for the offtopicness.