Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I'm still hopeful.

I mean the website keeps giving sly hints to it, something is happening, it is happening very slowly but it is happening.

2. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Either that or it is some kind of grand marketing ploy to sell more copies of the series on blue ray (with extra special features). ;-)

3. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

I'm very optimistic.

Both Chris Barrie and Danny John Jules are on record as stating they've heard they'll be making something this year. We know the scripts were commissioned, and we know the channel Dave was extremely happy with the reception, ratings and numbers that Back to Earth brought in for them.

I think it will happen, it's just a matter of time.

4. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Ahhh, the cynicism! You must have been badly betrayed as a child!;-)

I'm happy for them to take as long as they like to produce something original and entertaining. And if, in the end, they don't feel happy enough with it to go ahead, well I suppose that's better than making a second rate series. I'm fairly sure Red Dwarf is very close to Doug Naylor's heart, and he won't give up on it without very good reason.

5. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Sadly, have just seen such marketing tricks used before. Hope you are correct though Mr. Taylor!

6. Cruel Slayer

I'm afraid, often to my detriment, I tend to think the best of people unless they prove me wrong. I'm a bit naive.

7. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Paul, not naive...It makes you the kind of person I want to be more like. ... :-)

8. Cruel Slayer

You wouldn't want all the hassle that comes with it. You've achieved far more than I have as you are.

If the rumours are a marketing tactic, I suppose we'll never know. I think we would all be very disappointed not to see something come from Doug Naylor in the future.

9. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

So, sacriligious as this maybe...tonight was the first time I rewatched Back to Earth on DVD since it aired on DAVE...
    since months ago I've been rewatching all the older episodes of Dwarf and buying each DVD set in order of seriesuntil I get to BTE...
    Its quite something to; not only watch the 3 parts of BTE back to back as they should be watched in my opionion, but also to watch BTE after watching series VIII - which is easily my least favorite series of Red Dwarf...so to watch BTE was such a great thing because of the glowing reasons I will probably drivel on about below lol

Something I've learnt from posting on here is that you probably can't please every fan at the sametime and that one persons golden nugget is another persons piece of shoddy plastic...ahem...But i was amazed asto how many people at the start of this thread/section of the forum state they didn't like BTE...

I conversely think its vital for Doug Naylor to infact keep ALL the crew he used on BTE as he must have been so thrilled with the great finished product made on what I have been told was a relatively meager budget...

Ok, I too have niggles;...
    I didn't like the scenes on Coronation Street, though I know they're a quirky element crucial to the outfolding of the paralell and dream-like plot...I also didnt like the direction in a few places (though overall it was great)...and I also missed Holly and infact wondered originally when i was watching the episodes on DAVE when Holly would turn up...

...But these few niggles disappear into obscurity when considering the plusses I deam from BTE (especially when comparing it to series VIII!!!)..
    e.g. I love Krytens new costume...infact I think aesthetically BTE is the best Red Dwarf has been since series III, espeically costume-wise...the lighting was brilliant and the use of FX, even in minimalistic ways, was used so well.

For me however, the jury is still out asto whether the lack of audience laughter is a good thing or a bad thing...
    the audience laughter can bring negative aspects, but the absence of it can as well...or vice a versa to both points...
    e.g.
    - as Chris Barrie has said; the audience can provide a sort of spring-board, to gauge reactions from and react to inturn.....however, in series VIII I believe there was too much of just this going on, and that repetition was overused to absurdly stupid effect at times...
    - the absence of laughter can leave very cool sci fi empty silences, the sort found on movies like Moon, or Silent Running = the feeling of being one of few on a vast ship like the Dwarf...then again the silence can often creep into the warmer moments and demean them, or maybe if the actor pauses after telling a gag he may usually and conventionally wait for laughter, but in that absence there is only a pause of silence...

So what of series X and how should Red Dwarf carry on post-BTE (-I think theres a Mark E Smith hit in that!)?
    +I personally would like Hollys return, be it Norman Lovett, Hattie Hayridge or even Bill Bailey...even if Holl only has a few setup lines or quirky odd jokes, its still a presence much missed when not there...
    +I would keep the team on series X that worked on BTE to reproduce all the aspects i listed above such as the aesthetic and FX and so on...
    +I would add more musicto contrast the emptiness and silence of the Dwarf and to highlight drama or tension (something explored of course when the crew zoom through the portal in BTE)...
    +I would let the characters as well as the series mature; there are callbacks to earlier series in motifs and gags in BTE, but i loved elements such as Lister's show of emotion that highlighted the characters' depth of emotion and maturitry...I think Graham Linehan shows perfectly in his material that absurd comedic material-however minimalistic-doesn't have to be stupidly childish and undermine the level of maturity the show has been at uptill that point...
    +Perhaps the fact the show has matured is also why there is no laughter track; the show has become more filmic and single camera based and so on, and then the lighting has been allowed to become better etc...However, I don't see why runs of shot material can't be screened infront of a preview-control audience and then such a recorded reaction can then be layered over the top of the final edit...the disadvantage to this is obviously the actors havn't the facility to react to the audience, but instead we will still hear audience laughter in reaction to a gag andalso keep the same level of filmic aesthetic.

10. Starbugger27

Starbugger27 Third Technician

When I first watched BTE, I was left feeling very deflated indeed. Perhaps my expectations were either too high, or in the wrong place.

I recently watched all three episodes back to back and must say that I really enjoyed them. I think the absence of laughter-track took a few minutes to get used to, but only as much as the evolved storytelling. Adding the scenes of drama really gave Red Dwarf another dimension, the most notable of these was Lister's scene at the memorial in the first few minutes. It opened him up as a character, and made you consider what he must be thinking when he's alone.

I think the whole first section set on Red Dwarf was solid, and I'd love to see more of this dynamic with the guys alone in the empty ship again. But the actual Earth setting just didn't feel right - especially with the sporadic Blade Runner references, as funny as they were.

I would have loved to have seen what happened after 'Only the Good...' as well, and couldn't help but hope that should another series/special came to light, it would explain what happened after Rimmer was left alone on the Dwarf. It was sadly distracting.

The cast were on top form - as always. And it was good to see that the chemistry was still there, even if Kryten was pushed aside slightly and was given what I can only descibe as "series 8 Holly lines".

The ending was excellent, though, and was a perfect 'gotcha' to fans! I couldn't help but smile to myself when the big reveal came about.

It has faults, but I think BTE really did Red Dwarf justice and I hope that it's persuaded a certain channel to give RD the credit (and funding) it deserves.

11. GulDukat

GulDukat Third Technician

Just saw it for the first time and I enjoyed it. Maybe not as hilarious as I-VI, but there were some great scenes.

With BTE, I thought that the humor sort of came naturally from the story telling, rather than punchlines. I did enjoy the premise, sort of a deconstruction of Red Dwarf. I thought that the ending will make a great segway to series X. I hope that with X, they keep the look and feel of BTE, but bring back to laugh track.

My only compliant would be too much Blade Runner references.

The Starbug car was a total winner...and I want one!