Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

Quicknote.

I see amazon has a pre-order for the Back to Earth dvd, does anyone know if it will be available in HD on Blu-ray? I know it was shot in HD.

Cheers

2. jsminch

jsminch Skutter

Phenomenal, wonderful, every smegging second of it perfect. I've been waiting years for this. Didn't need a laugh track, I supplied that myself.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

3. BRIJcnt

BRIJcnt Skutter

I totally agree with you dude, I do class this as one of the best. The canned laughter would have made it a little awkward considering they were in our realy world and I'm 95% positive they intended it to be realistic, so people laughing at themselves as they watch themselves, to me, seems pretty f***ing stupid, I'm glad they left out the laughter.

and far as a more serious edge, I loved the seriousness of this special. Whenever Red Dwarf got serious, like rimmer destroying the time drive at the end of series 6 - Drma springs to my mind and i'm not afraid to say that, I think red dwarf makes a good sitcom with that dramatised edge given to it

4. pipa_g68

pipa_g68 Skutter

i loved the new episodes i thought they were brilliant my whole family loved them 2,
    we want red dwarf back on every week

5. Krytens_spare_head

Krytens_spare_head Second Technician

I dont think the way the adverts were put in helped with keeping the story moving along, the show was only going for about 10 mins at the most then we had 5 mins of ad breaks, sort of spoiled it a little. The 3rd episode was better than the first two it felt more like the red dwarf I love, if a new series does get green lit I hope Doug and the crew arent rushed into churning anything out just to get it on tv as fast as possible. They need to be given time to get everything the way they want it, I just feel these specials may of been hurried along to get them ready for easter. Overall im still a little disappointed with the episodes aired on dave they just didnt quite do it for me. 6.5 out of 10 :? :? :?

6. venort

venort Skutter

part one was great, parts 2 and 3... not so much. 2and 3 were resorting to borrowed jokes, which is only one step away from... guest stars. *shudders* and we all know what happened to the robin hood series when they started including guest stars...anyway, being one of probably many people who haven't seen blade runner (and going by the kids in part 2, most of the audience won't have either) I didn't get any of the jokes. I know someone who has seen bladerunner, and he didn't find it funny either. part 3 was the same: only possibly funny if you've seen blade runner.

7. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Edited all three episodes together into one feature length today, cutting out the adverts, the opening sequences for parts 2 and 3, and the end titles for parts 1 and 2.

Just watched it all in one go. And like I said before, I love it. It felt like classic dwarf to me, and mixed elements from the best of each series. I found the jokes very funny, and laughed at the subtle ones that I didn't notice first time round.

I can also point out at least one awesome moment in each part:

Part 1: The Squid Attack.

Part 2: Sci-Scan, Lister's lack of toilet roll, Rimmer killing Katerina, the Blade Runner image spoof, the reveal of Carbug.

Part 3: Coronation Street (classic WTF dwarf moment, imo), Rimmer munchkins (got the biggest laugh of the entire weekend from me!), Lister's torture of Rimmer and Kryten (and Cat being knocked out, which I loved), and the revelation that the entire situation was all Cat's fault.

Now...those are just points off the top of my head. Bearing in mind that Back to Earth is essentially an episode split into three parts, it has a huge amount of classic red dwarf moments. And you just don't pick that up at first when watching it spread over three nights. It also had the classic series 3-5 structure too: Setting up the scene, then everything gets a bit crazy, then everything is wrapped up and they end up on red dwarf again.

8. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Loved it!!! I'd been waiting a very long 10 years for this and boy was it worth it. Gags aplenty and some classic Dwarf scenes that'll remain so forever. Im not one for dissecting episodes, all that matters to me is that I enjoyed it, and I smeggin' well did.

The cast never missed a beat and were all excellent, great to see Chloe too, always been a fan of Kochanski.

Would of been better as a 1 parter especially, but Ive really enjoyed this weekend, Ive never woke up each morning looking forwards to half an hour of TV so much.

As for the storyline, (engage smug mode) I kind of seen it coming but Doug and co were still able to deliver, plenty of twists. So what if its a rehash of a classic episode, last time i saw it Back to Reality was and still is a classic episode.

Whether RD returns for series IX or for more specials, Ill always be greatful for this weekend, and if I have to wait 10 more years, Ill still be a fan and tuning in.

Thanyou Doug and all the staff involved with making the show, Thanks to Chris, Danny, Robert, Craig and Chloe for bringing the characters I love so much back to life.

9. Malcolm_Milne

Malcolm_Milne Skutter

Cant believe my first post here is negative.

Will someone please stop Doug Naylor writing Red Dwarf, am I the only one to think that since Rob Grant left, Red Dwarf has got worse and worse, he is killing the show and Back to Earth has proved that.

It is now 16 years(ish) since series 6 was aired and it saddens me to think that the kids nowadays will probably only remember series 8 and Back to earth rather than the outstanding and hilariously show that was Red Dwarf.

10. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

In your opinion.

11. b33tage2

b33tage2 Skutter

Firstly Thank you for 3 new episodes to add to my collection.
    I love RD and have all episodes on DVD in fact I have season 1 and 2, 3 times due to overuse and them getting scratched etc.
    I must say I Didn't find it funny at all, I think in the entire hour I Laughed about twice which is very poor considering the older series made me laugh almost constantly.
    What was wrong?
    well in my opinion their was a few things wrong/improvments to make it red-dwarf style, i dont have the episodes to hand as I am at work but from what I can remember:
    1) the opening scene in part one with Lister laughing and what i mean is this didnt feel right purely because the audio track of him laughing was just to low either that or the ambient noise was to high(BAD SOUND MAN!).
    2) the tomato joke would have made me laugh if their was more "energy" in the joke, it felt a bit bland because rimmer was just sitting their, i personally would have preferred him getting up and being "What on Titan are you doing...wait a minute...(while pacing around the room) Listy Listy Listy.... you really have spend hours thinking this one up and you really think ironing your sneezes onto my favoriate vending machine repairman trousers would annoy me? how wrong could you be.. im a hologram i have no need for them" followed by lister saying "no i knew that wouldn't annoy you, that's why im ironing my sneezes onto you limited edition thunderbird boxer shorts" rimmer "No... nooo please don't ill even forgive you for that time you tranquillized me and donated my left testicle".... that would have been a slightly more entertaining piece of banter. BTW im obviously no writer but you get my drift thats the red dwarf style.
    3) when kryten returned from holiday they should have had some kind of gag to go with him, even if it was just that he walked in with a "lovely Vacuum cleaner" he met on the elevator journey down to the cupboard.
    4) as many have said the episodes where very "drawn out" like the cats scene where hes flying from side to side discribing the way the laviathon attacked him this lasted way to long and by the end of it I was almost begging for him to stop.
    5) the cgi on the scutters, i mean ok i can deal with you wanting to be part of the whole CGI thing these days but if your going to do it do it properly rather than with scutters that look so shinny you could use them as a mirror or just go back to the old days of using models.
    6) the over dramatization of the "new science officers" creating the dimention cutter, I mean Oh My God and the gun itself should probably have been a modified "bazokoid".

and thats just a brief over view of part one, yes its a little over critical but still so many things wrong with its direction its unreal.
    I know sure 10 years went by and you have to expect changes, i think the actors themselfs did a great job but the actors can only do what they are told and they can only do what the script describes so the problem lays with direction and script writing rather than them.
    Good work to the cast well done you were the only reason i could continue watching this.
    it ranks below almost every episode in my mental rankings of the shows.
    just my two cents,
    btw forgive the poor spelling and grammer, i'm dyslexic

12. Brian_A

Brian_A Skutter

Hi Milzer,

While I was impressed with the enthusiasm and production of this incarnation, I think Red Dwarf is a shadow of it's former self. I should make it clear that I do not for one minute think that New must equal Bad, I don't live in a rose tinted world.

Sadly though, I must agree with you... While I persevered with series VII, I did not have the enthusiasm to watch them all. And I found out the reason they were poor meat; as you suggest, Rob Grant left. As for Series VIII - I watched 1 episode. Pants!

With respect Mr Naylor, you've done a fantastic job... but it feels as if Red Dwarf is just being milked now :-(

13. Malcolm_Milne

Malcolm_Milne Skutter

Thats right, that is only my opinion. There is plenty people posting on this forum who thought the latest shows were good, others thought that it was ok and others, like me, thought it was rubbish.

There is nothing more that I want than a return of a full series of red Dwarf, however in my opinion series 7 and 8 and now Back to earth has in my opinion proved that Doug Naylor on his own is just not good enough.

There is plenty of prove over the years that comedy partnerships(which provides good results) should not come to an end and Grant and Naylor is prove that when it does, it just dosent work.

14. BuckyOhare

BuckyOhare Skutter

Totally agree! The writing has got significantly weaker since the partnership ended.

I really wanted to love BTE but it was very disappointing, a pale imitation of what Red Dwarf once was.

15. BRIJcnt

BRIJcnt Skutter

Just watched the whole thing now, parts 1, 2 and 3 in a row and I'm sold - I love this three parter even more after doing this. it should have been shown as a whole, but I'm glad I got to see some new red dwarf full stop, no matter how I saw it.

Hopefully they'll make some more!!!!

16. miffy66

miffy66 Skutter

Over all I enjoyed BTE very much, and thought it was well worth the wait! The different look and feel to the show took a bit of getting used to, but I’ve watched it all twice now, and I enjoyed it more the second time . Shame so many posts on here are so negative. They say you can’t please all the people all the time, and after 10 years waiting, and all the hype over the last few weeks, there was no way BTE could possibly live up to everyone’s expectations. It’s quite amusing to see how many people think they could have written it better – I look forward to watching their hugely successful multi-series sitcoms with interest!
    I do agree with what a lot of people have said about the show being better with a laughter track, as I think filming in front of an audience gave the actors something to bounce off, and it added to the atmosphere of the show. I can only suppose that with all the CG effects they’ve used this time, it would have been pretty difficult to film in front of an audience. The effects were excellent, it looked amazing, and I can understand why the tech guys wanted to see what they could do with all the wizardry that wasn’t available to them in series 1 to 8. (Personally though, I think the crappy, dingy looking sets were part of the charm!)
    A lot of people have also said that BTE shouldn’t have been shown in 3 parts, but I suppose that was down to Dave wanting to get as much mileage as possible out of it by spreading it over 3 days, and as they have been the means of bringing Dwarf back after all this time, we must allow them their foibles! Splitting it in 3 certainly added to the excitement – I went through an emotional rollercoaster over the 3 nights, wondering what was going to happen/was it going to be crap/were they all gonna get killed off?!?!
    Nice surprise to see Chloe at the end – how amazing does she look!! How come the rest of the cast (and the rest of us!!) have all aged and she hasn’t? Has she had work done, or was it a Chloe from an earlier dimension?? I kept hoping Holly would appear by the end too – Norman popping up with an “Alright, dudes” would have been a show stealer!
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank and congratulate everyone involved for bringing Dwarf back – it was an almost impossible job to recreate the old magic, but I think they pulled it off! I’m keeping everything crossed now for another series!!!! VOTE WITH YOUR FEET EVERYONE - BUY THE BTE DVD TO SHOW DAVE IT’S WORTH THEIR WHILE TO BRING US MORE DWARF!!

17. SmegOnYourFace

SmegOnYourFace Third Technician

I find it disappointing that so many fans say things like 'Red Dwarf is not what it once was' and 'Series VII and VIII were awful, I should've known this was also going to be awful'. Comedy has changed over the last 21 years - in fact it has changed over the last decade. I felt that Red Dwarf BTE actually felt fresh and up to date. As much as I love most of the previous 52 episodes for what they were they were brilliant for the time that they were made and, (shock horror) they weren't all as amazing as people remember - yes, most of them were brilliant but there were some duds in there too believe it or not (Waiting for God, anyone???). I think it was a very brave move for Dave for bring Red Dwarf back for a special and I think it paid off. Red Dwarf has built a massive fanbase over the years, not through continually pumping out the same old stuff, but by being new and inventive. If we really want a new series then the only way it is going to happen is to be more up-to-date with the times. I think some fans are stuck in 'memory mode' and won't ever be satisfied unless the series V / VI 'formula' is applied to every show every week.

I thought it was a strong comeback, not a classic, but hopefully a move in the right direction.

18. Malcolm_Milne

Malcolm_Milne Skutter

Smeg - you have some fair points there, comedy is changing, and series 5 and 6 is but a distant memory for some however

Red Dwarf worked because it had cheaply made sets, a live audience, it was different and many more aspects which made it a classic comedy. I cancelled going to a wedding reception to stay in and watch the latest incantation of Red Dwarf, I`m not saying we need to go back to the old ways, as - you are right - it needs to be fresh and up to date, the only thing I wish for is a return of Rob Grant.

There is an old saying................"If it aint broke...............

19. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I have reserved comment until now. I like to see the project as a whole, as it should be watched.

Many seem to have missed the point of the show completely, of course just from my humble view.

This was Doug's swansong. This was his tribute to his favourite show Back to Reality and film Bladerunner. Say you have one last chance to show your life work. Just one. You can't predict the future, this could be it, and what better way to send yourself off with a fantastic story to tribute it.

As ever Red Dwarf has made me laugh, but surprisingly this time, cry. The drama this time was very deep, emotional and caring. Something we've only had in the books by Doug. Again a very brave storyline, but Red Dwarf has never followed tradition, never worked in a way that fits a form, and this was no exception.

Beautiful is the only word I can describe the look, it was amazing! Again it's never been done before in such quality.

This wasn't a Series of Red Dwarf it was very Special. Comparison is all that can be heard, but this wasn't a remake, it wasn't a copy, it was a visual display of how I would like Red Dwarf to end, if it does end.

From my personal involvement in the final Episode, it was a honour! The parodies of the Fan Club Presidente, and mention of Convention has sent our Fan Club site hits off the map!

Thanks to everyone involved, the hard work, dedication and belief that Red Dwarf could be great again. You have done it!

Thanks GNP! And Andrew, your narration and direction was great!

20. drew_viles

drew_viles Third Technician

I JUST watched the whole thing start to finish with no breaks, because i was away at the weekend, and it was absolutly fantstic!!!! I along with everyone else have been waiting 10 years for this and it was worth it! It didn't miss a trick, everything i wanted was there, cat and his spinning round going aawwwwoo,the red dwarf music between scenes that weve missed so much. I admit it did seem abit wierd without the audience but it was still great! I hope they DO fill the gaps that series 9 and 10 have left. It's obvious they want to make it and it's clear they have ideas for them and i hope they surface. Strange storyline but it was funny and there was some very original red dwarf comedy for example the typewriter scene in the last episode. I WANT MORE!!!