Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ShaunM

ShaunM Skutter

First time Poster:

Long long long time fan of Red Dwarf and I hated the new episodes. Forced myself to watch them just hoping hoping hoping they would get better. I dont think I laughed atall. It was cringeworthy, unfunny, confusing, completely out of character and a massive dissapointment.

To top it all off they put one of the old episodes on last night just after this shambles had finished and it was brilliant ! It just really really emphasized how good the show used to be and was the only highlight of the whole Red Dwarf showing.

To the masterminds behind this idea: You've really really alienated and let down (some of) your fans.

2. merse1979

merse1979 Skutter

Re EasyLay: Big Let Down

100% agree!

3. drew_viles

drew_viles Third Technician

Im sorry but I have to disagree! I have been watching Red Dwarf since the day it first hit our screens and I don't think they could have done a better job myself. It's been ten years and Rob Grant is no longer on the scene, which would, I think, make a difference. However I think, (having read the books, the comics and seen every episode of Red Dwarf so many times that i've reached the point where i could probably recreate them) that Doug Naylor has done a better job with these than he did in series 8.Keep up the fantastic work Doug and let's see more!!

4. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Polymorph was good, as was Polymorph II. Back to Reality II is also good :lol:

5. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I can understand what you are saying and if Doug wanted to reference Blade Runner then that would be fine. Plenty of films and TV shows have been referenced throughout Dwarf`s history. But copying entire scenes when they have no relevance to the plot? Scenes which make no sense to people who haven`t seen the movie? Scenes (in the case of the shoot out) which didn`t even actaully happen in the hallucinated world? I honestly can`t see any defence for this. Viewers should not need to have seen a movie (celebrated as it may be) in order to understand massive chunks of Dwarf.

The problem with making a sequel to Back to Reality as well is that people will inevitably compare it to the original. It is left very badly wanting. That ep made sense as all 4 characters were affected by the squid. In this episode only Lister found any happiness while the others thought they were going to be killed. In BtR the characters believably were traumatised to discover they were only playing a game. In BtE they took it on the chin in 5 seconds. BtR was also very tightly structured. BtE rambles incoherently...

I did watch all the specials again today to see whether I had been too harsh on them but they offer precious little. There are one or 2 nice dramatic scenes and if Doug had had the courage (or judgment) to follow this path maybe it would have worked. But the whole thing is far too self-indulgent and contains some terrible over the top jokes (rakes anyone) which ruin the tone. It doesn`t bring me any pleasure to be so down about it.

6. drew_viles

7. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Explain.

8. drew_viles

I can understand what you are saying and if Doug wanted to reference Blade Runner then that would be fine. Plenty of films and TV shows have been referenced throughout Dwarf`s history. But copying entire scenes when they have no relevance to the plot? Scenes which make no sense to people who haven`t seen the movie? Scenes (in the case of the shoot out) which didn`t even actaully happen in the hallucinated world? I honestly can`t see any defence for this. Viewers should not need to have seen a movie (celebrated as it may be) in order to understand massive chunks of Dwarf.

The problem with making a sequel to Back to Reality as well is that people will inevitably compare it to the original. It is left very badly wanting. That ep made sense as all 4 characters were affected by the squid. In this episode only Lister found any happiness while the others thought they were going to be killed. In BtR the characters believably were traumatised to discover they were only playing a game. In BtE they took it on the chin in 5 seconds. BtR was also very tightly structured. BtE rambles incoherently...

I did watch all the specials again today to see whether I had been too harsh on them but they offer precious little. There are one or 2 nice dramatic scenes and if Doug had had the courage (or judgment) to follow this path maybe it would have worked. But the whole thing is far too self-indulgent and contains some terrible over the top jokes (rakes anyone) which ruin the tone. It doesn`t bring me any pleasure to be so down about it.[/quote]

what are you talking about... it WASN'T a sequel to back to reality... did you actually watch the episode

9. drew_viles

What do you mean explain... they storyline is that nine years later they were attacked by the female version of the dispair squid which envoked a feeliong of joy. I think you should maybe go back and watch it again

10. AnDi86

AnDi86 Skutter

I definitely have to agree that this special should not have been split up into the three parts and it should be viewed as a whole. The whole storyline does not come into full effect until you have seen it all!

I loved it at times it reminded me so much of classic Red Dwarf, and I can say I am excited about the future of the dwarfers, check here for my full review and your poll at scifiheaven.net

:lol:

11. Gringo

Gringo Skutter

Hello all!

Long time reader but very rare poster here.

I have been a big fan for a great many years etc and just felt it was important that I stood up and was counted.

I was very nervous about the whole thing I have to say, but I thought that these specials were nothing short of great - a nice homage to celebrate 21(?) years of Red Dwarf. I thought it had a slightly different tone and style and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for a new series, going off the last three nights I am perfectly happy for more. In my opinion Red Dwarf has just as much right to be on our screens as any other rubbish that gets regularly spewed out by the major channels.

Many thanks to all the guys at GNP for making the dream a reality!

12. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I know what the story was. It was the `joy squid` instead of the despair squid. They went into an alternate reality and ended up going Back to Reality. It`s hardly a stretch to call it a sequel is it. It was blatantly Back to Reality and Blade Runner bolted together.

13. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

OK. Having seen all three now, I really wish they hadn't tried to reheat this particular souffle. It was embarrassingly self-indulgent, mostly dull, a half-decent (at best) idea stretched too far and padded with laboured, lukewarm gags. Too many inconsistencies between the main BBC canon and this story were unexplained or ignored. It was slow.

It was sentimental, a little mawkish, right up its own bum, dull and at best mildly amusing. I shall forever refer to these three ill-conceived episodes as Last Of The Summer Smeg.

14. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I can honestly admit, unlike lot of people, I really liked the new eps.

Although I don't think that they were half as good as some of the classic episodes, I think they introduced RD to a new audience.

btw, loved Lister taking over the others using the typewriter and his toilet experience :lol:

15. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I'm not sure, it was a parody. I didn't have prior knowledge to the script. I saw it exactly the same time as everyone else. I thought it was brilliant!

16. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Well said, nail hit firmly on head.

17. ChrisMacDee

ChrisMacDee Skutter

I liked the episodes but... its not really the same thing. I mean there were some laugh out loud moments 'you're breasts look magnificent Ms!', but it was more drama than comedy. I liked the story and showed an actual emotional side to Lister (which I was actually amazed watching! I didn't know Craig could act!). Yeah sure its essentially Back to Reality 2, but i mean its been 10 years, things were bound to change with Naylor's style of writing.

I hope though that if a new series is indeed made, it'll have a higher budget (less bloody CGI sets), will keep a bit a drama but back to the more classic writing we all know and love and maybe the laughing track? The lack of it made the show too... intense i guess the word would be... :?

18. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

Part 1: I think there was some uncomfortable parts with the crew in part 1, I don't think they had completely gelled together
    and there was a lot more serious moments to it, but great to see them bring back the bunker re-vamped, red dwarf looked amazing
    and the ending of part one made you wait in anticipation on what was to come next, all in all good.

Part 2: This was amazing, it was great how Doug Naylor thought of this plot the guy is a genius. The cast of red dwarf had gelled
    back to their old selves and the humour was back, very dramatic very gripping, it made you very excited for part 3.

Part 3: This was fantastic, again very dramatic and very gripping, exciting from the word go. Some very funny moments like the old
    red dwarf, lister taking control of the crew with the type writer very funny. I didn't expect to see Kochanski like overs did. It was
    a brilliant ending although Doug Naylor had mentioned we will have an idea if there will be another series it left me none the wiser,
    I don't think it gave anything away for a new series it just left the door open for a possibility.

Overall: I think Craig Charles acting was superb, he showed great emotion, and it was nice that it made Lister look like a hero.
    Although Series 7 and 8 was good I personally think these new episodes was better than anything that came out of series 7 and 8. I'm
    not in agreement with people that said it should have been an hour special I though they got it spot on with a 3 parter, it made you
    excited waiting in anticipation for the next episode the next day. All in all it was smegging brilliant, it was like the gang hadn't
    been away except it was more modernised. In all I would hope that they would do a series 9 and not just jump to series 10, they could
    call it series 9 the missing years catching us up with what happened in series 9 and then jump to series 10, but either way it would
    be just fantastic to have another series. I hope the ratings stayed good in part 2 and 3, I heard they got 2.2 million in the first
    part, and I hope the dvd sells well so that we get a new series, I will for one be watching and waiting in hope. BRING BACK RED DWARF.

Thanks.

Ian.

19. Squizz

Squizz Guest

I can't help wondering , if the people that want answers to series 8's ending, really did watch Red Dwarf at all. Can you imagine how many Dave 'chicken nugget episodes'(seriously this is my only problem, I love Dave, but they cut to much stuff into bite size pieces)it would take to explain a continuity black hole of 9 years in the story?

Yeah parts were rusty maybe, but 10 years, personally I really enjoyed it, they had a choice of playing it for the fans as most specials do, or trying to be Classic Dwarf and for me they pitched it somewhere in the middle, hopefully this will be to their advantage :-D. I really loved the in jokes, as a complete smeghead, who's waited 10 years for this and not only watched her dvds to death, but also the commentaries and all the extras, many times, there was several very in jokes, Cat's "where's my line," for example.
    It also felt very up to date, I's like to see them crank down the cgi, to maybe 40 percent, but the cast are like good wine, they are even better than before.

The writing has it's off parts, for the most part I can't praise it enough for its clever twists and turns, plus those who winge it's all about opinion to me the Doctor who ending was so craptastic I'd have sworn it was dragged off Fanfiction.net, the Doctordonna and a love clone for rose, sheesh.

I beg of Dave commission more eps give them more budget, more time, .. and please god someone make road worthy Carbugs, the paps it got off other drivers were just to funny.

It seems like eons since I use to frequent this board, XD Never knew I'd be returning with Dwarf :-D

20. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

I think that, overall, the three episodes were generally quite good. Some dramatic more serious moments that people wern't expecting but they were nevertheless effective. I also think that it is a little *too* similar to Back To Reality, it's fair enough to come up with a new storyline but it needs to be original! Many of the loyal fans of the show were dissapointed by the final moments of Back To Earth Part Three and it's not hard to see why. It was left too open at the end and it leaves too much in the dark to be fully appreciated. Well done to Doug though for some good directing and the actors for some brilliant scenes. Craig Charles realy showed how Lister has matured in 9 years in that opening scene and I certainly enjoyed that. I think that maybe Doug Naylor should think a little harder before making any episodes though! :-D