Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. smeeeeheeee

smeeeeheeee Skutter

Well having seen the whole 3 part-er now i can say i was slightly disappointed with the first part, i think it was way to short and as has already been said should never have been split up . Once the second part had started i was more than happy ! its been a long time coming and i am glad to see it has come with a breath of fresh air ! ok so some things ain't what we are used to ... personally i didn't see the need for a cgi scutter i would of thought it would cost less to use the real thing and get more "emotion" out of it but only a little bug . overall i think they hit the nail on the head .. was well done and i for one am glad to have this British icon of a show back on the screens and hopefully not for just this special ... A big thank you for everyone involved who got the big red one back onto our screens just make sure you keep the ball rolling now ! Remember if it wasn't for us this wouldn't of happened in the first place and as long as we the fans make it well known that we enjoyed it and our hungry for more then maybe just maybe we can have some more adventures with the space bums we all know and love . :-D:-D:-D:-D

2. stuffywarner

stuffywarner Skutter

Bring it back bring it back bring it back.

Red Dwarf is not dead. There is so much more life in this series.

3. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

Yeah! We need more now! You can't leave us with just that :-D:-D:-D:-D

4. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

Problem is, I immediately discount the opinion of anyone who complains that Red Dwarf died after series six.

Your right it didn't die, maybe at times it wasn't in the same standards as series 1-6 but there was some good episodes
    in them and Im glad they did series 7 and 8. I still think though Back To Earth is better than anything that came out
    series 7 and 8 in terms of storyline.

Ian.

5. mr3green

mr3green Skutter

This thread is full of, 'it was awful because...'
    Well, it was afwful because... Wait, it wasn't awful at all!
    Did it seem like the despicable travesty described by quite a few 'hard core' fans and deserve the scorn they so constructively offered up? Certainly not, but then, in 21 years most of us have matured somewhat.

I thought the omission of a laugh track was great, but it seems without said laugh track too many people don't realise what they are watching is funny... failing a laugh track, perhaps subtitles would be more suitable for these special folks who can't laugh without a cue.

Please make more and save CC from a fate worse than death... being remembered as Lloyd Mullaney ;-)

6. Malcolm_Milne

Malcolm_Milne Skutter

Jmc2000 - I dont disagree with you, like I have mentioned about someone elses comment earlier. Comedy changes with the years, youngsters might find the latest Red Dwarf funny while they might find the earlier episodes not as good. To me series 6 was the best, the ideas were still fresh and the writing even better than before. But with time the format would become stale, new ideas are needed and the show must go forward. Naylor has done the best job he could do on his own and series 7 had moments, but like any other show with new ideas new writers are needed.

Why havent new writers breen introduced to help Naylor?

New writers mean new ideas, a fresh approach, and comedy that keeps up with the times so that the new generation of youngsters can find a love of red Dwarf that we all have.

There is nothing more than I want than a new series of Red Dwarf, however in my opinion I think that Naylor has run out of fresh ideas and needs help.

7. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a laugh track completely. Some shows, like The Office, don`t suit a laugh track at all because of the style of humour. Shows that have more traditional comedy (which this certainly did as they were so many old sitcom and Dwarf jokes in there) do suit a laugh track. Furthermore performing in front of an audience can help the cast to raise their games.

8. phonicpod

phonicpod Skutter

Waited till they'd all aired and watched the whole thing.

Verdict, Cast did a really good job, but the storyline was abymsal. :-(
    I really wanted to like it, but didn't.

Good laughs were few and far between, storyline was like digging up a good idea and parading around it's corpse... wish they did an original concept.. back to reality being one of my fave episodes, but seriously... it reminded me of the awful masters of the universe live action movie plot (not that THAT had a good plot to begin with! but.. ) ie. we can't afford to do a fantasy movie, so lets put it on earth instead! I was hoping for the Dwarf to finally return to earth... (ie actually find it!) they had 3 episodes, they could have wrapped up the series really well... they just wasted it.

Think the cast really slipped back into character well though... think they did a wonderful job.
    HOPE someone picks up more eps so they can do it properly! as long as it's actually NEW and not an retread of what was a good idea once....

9. ShaunM

ShaunM Skutter

Am I right in saying that Red Dwarf never had a "Laugh track" and the laughing was from the Live audience in front of them ?

Because if thats the case its nothing to do with us "laughing on cue" or "being told to laugh" (not that we would be laughing since Back To Earth was not in the least bit funny)

I'm also not somebody who thinks Red Dwarf died in Series 6. I own it on DVD and love it.

You guys really are telling me you found being them being attacked by a CGI Squid funny ? Funnier than Lister throwing a can of lager at the Vindaloo ?

Rimmer dancing while they yell for help in the background... (I'm not 10 years old so it didnt really amuse me)

And then the massively pointless and unfunny scenes with "the creator" and the typewriter and ... Its bringing back horrible memories.

=(

Im going to mentally repress this weekend and pretend new Red Dwarf just never happened... :crying:

10. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

Now that I have watched all 3 episodes I thought I would share my opinions, having already read everyone elses on here! I have put this in the general thread for BTE rather than in a specific episode thread as it is my take on the 3 episodes as a whole. Anyway.... my two pence worth...

Audience / Laughter - If a new series is made, it NEEDS to have an audience there for the filming for the laughter track, not added later or not added at all. I'm sorry, but Red Dwarf DOES NOT work without it and the show does NOT work as a drama with some comedy thrown in either, 2 of the reasons why Series 7 was so derided by many and should have been quite aparent to all concerned, regardless of how 'great' the script was. Now, theres no point in saying "Oh, you need to be told when to laugh, do you?" as some sort of witty put down against me and all the other posters who said the same thing. The show always had the audience reaction on it and was a great feature of it, for the viewers and also for the cast themselves, taking it away completely would be just as stupid as replacing Craig Charles with someone else and saying "no-one will care/notice". It's just wrong. And using the excuse that "we didn't want the plot revealed online before the show was broadcast" is a cop-out as plenty of TV programmes are filmed with live audiences and spoilers and plot details are not plastered all over the internet for them. Yes, if you want to find out something you can look at certain websites that will have these spoilers posted for you but in general you have to go looking for them.

If Dave / UKTV offered such little money that the show had to be filmed in 2 weeks with no audience and hardly any set then maybe you shouldn't have made it just yet and tried taking it to another broadcaster who would have at least gave the show some better treatment.

Script - I thought the script was quite bad too, very little jokes, lots of padding dialogue and the whole thing sped up in places to get the story moving but then slowed down to drag out an unfunny situation. Lister on the typewriter was funny for a small gag, but streched out as long as it was, especially the rake stepping for Kryten just made it seem like nothing else could be thought up for the script so this was just streched out as long as possible. I agree with one of the other posters who said that it seemed like a 30 min plot streched out 3 times as long, and it certainly did seem that way. It might even have worked as a 45 minute plot but needed to be shown in the one night, not chopped up into 3.

CGI - The scutter looked bad, as did the squid when its 'testicles' were coming up form the bottom of the diving bell. One real one and several CGI ones and the whole sequence looked really, really cringeworthy. As did the sequence of the crew jumping around in the diving bell and then they froze for a split second and the whole thing was reversed to pad the scene out. The CGI corridors wern't that impressive either, but the water tank set where they first meet Katerina was. The new bunkroom looked really good yet only 2 scenes were set in it. What a shocking waste, especially as the two scenes in it didn't exactly have snappy dialogue or a great Lister/Rimmer conversation piece.

I do love the fact that we got it in widescreen though and look forward to watching it again later in the year when it's in HD, but the filmic look just ruined it for me and I thought was completely unnecessary. Again, Series 7 was a massive sign-post of what not to do in the show and everything was changed back for Series 8, so why then go back to all the things people hated about the show for the new episodes?

This does sound like a massive negative post but I am only giving my opinion here on why I think the BTE shows were not the great comeback we were all expecting. Feel free to comment and discuss, that's why this mesage board is here for after all. I do hope we get the Series 9/10 that the episodes referenced (maybe they are already guaranteed from Dave and it was included in the script as a clever plot device as there will only be 2 more series then the show will finish for good). If we do get them I hope that the audience is restored, the filmic look is gone, the sets return with much less CGI and the show goes back to being a fantastic comedy rather then a drama trying to be a film with very little comedy. But I doubt it... :-(

I'm now going to go into the midsection and cower under the scanner table with a collander on my head at the very thought of the torrent of abuse that I am about to receive!

11. sirrusty

sirrusty Skutter

Well , I loved it. I think with this kind of series if people almost imagine what they think it will be before it is revealed then they will probably like their ideas better and feel disapointed.... Personaly I think it had a great mix of comedy and si-fi from all the previous series, I didnt really miss the laughter track ( i also like M*A*S*H with or without the track), i was making my own and it wouldnt have worked in several places and someone from the audience WOULD have spoiled the plot! well done, ooh one thing, before the next TV red dwarf in whatever form it takes i think we should have a whip around to get a reddwarf.co.uk server with an IQ higher than 6, couldnt get on the site or forum all last night!

12. MrFlibble42

MrFlibble42 Skutter

I loved it. Sure it wasn't as good as some of the earlier episodes, I never expected it to be but there were plenty of good jokes in there. I liked all of the Bladerunner references as well.

Hopefully we get a new series out of this :-)

To all the people saying that Back To Earth, Series 7 and 8 would have been better if Doug didn't write all the episodes on his own. You do know that he DIDN'T write all of the episodes on his own. Off the top of my head I know that Robert Llewellyn wrote most of Beyond A Joke and I'm sure that there were other writers that wrote some of the other episodes in series 7 and 8.

13. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

It was fan-smegging-tastic! Great tribute to all things Dwarf and a great standalone episode in it's own right. I can't help but think that after this, Red Dwarf will get that new series we have all been waiting for!

14. Adegregg

Adegregg Skutter

As someone who watched the series back in the late 80's, and as one who dosent watch things more than once a decade (yep so im not a "true" dwarf fan then)
    I though the new epps were pretty special,
    you are never going to please the "typical" "true" fan who must have watched the old epps time and time again.
    But for someone what LOVED the show "back in the day" and have followed the whole "movie shambles" I found it a joy to watch.

Yep I'm a typical viewer, Ive have a million other shows and things that inspire my life (like most people) since I saw the show last (about 8 years ago?) and from a "rational" view point
    Ok i'll elaborate on "rational"
    Ive seen the shows about 2-3 times each when it was on.(12 years ago) I have fond memories of the series and have looked over the odd DVD since then, but in no way have "lived and breathed" Red Dwarf.
    Don't get me worng I though the show was GREAT! and cherish those times i saw it yonks ago, But I find the whole Re-watching of something quite weird when there's a whole world of entertainment you've never seen.

Im not having a go at "true" "dwarfers" or what ever you'd like to be known as. Ive been in fandom, yes thats right, but left before i hit my 20's (a bunch of nerds who NEED to re-watch again and again and again)

But anyhow I though the whole 3 parter was very good. you can go on for days with comparing it with other dwarf epps of the past, and bemoan how "they have ruined YOUR show" but lets face it, If It was this or nothing what would be your choice?

Although I know DAVE is only a small network I really hope one day we may see more epps!

15. Adegregg

Adegregg Skutter

As someone who watched the series back in the late 80's, and as one who dosent watch things more than once a decade (yep so im not a "true" dwarf fan then)
    I though the new epps were pretty special,
    you are never going to please the "typical" "true" fan who must have watched the old epps time and time again.
    But for someone what LOVED the show "back in the day" and have followed the whole "movie shambles" I found it a joy to watch.

Yep I'm a typical viewer, Ive have a million other shows and things that inspire my life (like most people) since I saw the show last (about 8 years ago?) and from a "rational" view point
    Ok i'll elaborate on "rational"
    Ive seen the shows about 2-3 times each when it was on.(12 years ago) I have fond memories of the series and have looked over the odd DVD since then, but in no way have "lived and breathed" Red Dwarf.
    Don't get me worng I though the show was GREAT! and cherish those times i saw it yonks ago, But I find the whole Re-watching of something quite weird when there's a whole world of entertainment you've never seen.

Im not having a go at "true" "dwarfers" or what ever you'd like to be known as. Ive been in fandom, yes thats right, but left before i hit my 20's (a bunch of nerds who NEED to re-watch again and again and again)

But anyhow I though the whole 3 parter was very good. you can go on for days with comparing it with other dwarf epps of the past, and bemoan how "they have ruined YOUR show" but lets face it, If It was this or nothing what would be your choice?

Although I know DAVE is only a small network I really hope one day we may see more epps!

16. merts123

merts123 Skutter

...moany moany moan moan. Some people do go on a bit.
    As someone who still has some of the first episodes of RD on video from their 1st airing (sound going, black line across the top and partly B&W) I was waiting with anticipation tempered with a little fear, that I wouldn't like these "specials".

I shouldn't have worried, they were great.:-D

Yes, it was a little more 'intense..' possibly at first, due to the lack of laughter track, but soon got used to that and enjoyed making my own.
    As I decided about 15 yrs ago to stop getting older, I'm still 22 and still have the same sense of humour (daft). I loved the fact that there were different types of humour used all the way through the eps. Things you had to think about, slapstick, film reference, nods back to previous RD history. Loved all that.

It was the same but different, as anything revisited 10 years down the line would be wont to be like.

I can't wait to watch 'em all in one go tonight, despite the missus and daughter:- "..but you've seen them now, why do you want to watch them again?.." HA HA HA FOOLS.

:-D:-D:-D Bring back the dwarf:-D:-D:-D

17. hpm

hpm Skutter

I just cut all the adds out and watch all three again the story made more sense.
    I wasn't keen on it the first time around but i think it was a lot better with out the breaks and i loved it.
    I'm just hoping that this will be the start of a new series.

18. ColdCobra

ColdCobra Skutter

Yes, another life long Red Dwarf fan comes to talk about the new episodes. I loved it, though not because it was an amazing, hilarious thrill-ride, but because it was new Red Dwarf that was better than Series VIII. It was like a really good Series VII episode, not as good as the original series, but it didn't seem out of place being called Red Dwarf. It was full of loads of little references that life-long "dwarfers" could laugh at and nod their head to, and even more references of Blade Runner, which if you haven't seen I can understand why Part 3 would seem worse to you.

Part One had some nice scenes and established that after nine more years of deep space travel the crew was still walking about trying to find something fun to do. I felt sorry for Lister, not just about Kochanski, but the way he came off as the same old Lister, but a Lister who was old, tired and bored of his life on board without the love of his life.

Part Two was great for little pokes at the Red Dwarf fanbase, talks of BTE being set "after series X" and the store guy talking about how "series IX was the best in my opinion". I also loved Rimmer's killing of the new holo-woman (who I can't remember the name of), it really made me laugh out loud.

Finally, Part Three was great for the Blade Runner parody, the type-writer scene (especially making Rimmer dance and then crotching himself on the table) and most importantly, loads of nods to past Red Dwarf episodes. Back To Reality, Rimmerworld, even Cat's old "I'm going to eat you little fishie" song, now THAT made me smirk like a right little Red Dward nerd, I remember people in school singing that song when the original series were being shown. Then there the touching Lister-Kochanski scene, and by the end of it you got the feeling that Lister is suddenly feeling better about himself and now he has a goal and purpose.

Roll on Series IX (Or should that be XI?), and if not, this was a much better ending that Series VIII's cliffhanger. It was like attending a reunion of old friends, making it one of the best Easter's I have since chocolate eggs stopped being exciting. Man that was a long post...

19. nexus6

nexus6 Skutter

I really enjoyed all three episode's. I loved the Bladerunner angle and I hope this weekend leads to more episodes.

20. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I couldn’t watch it as broadcast but watched it all in one go. Sadly it was truly terrible. I remember sitting down with my dad & younger brother back in the days before downloads, ipods & dvds to watch that first ever episode & became immediately hooked. Back home I think I still have a faded old Kryten “spin my nipple nuts” t-shirt, well thumbed copies of the Smegazine & even a tape of Tongue Tied!! How far we have come, to get from that to this. This travesty, this poor imitation of what Red Dwarf once was.

After a decade of being off our screens fans get a longer, less funny version of an old episode!?! The whole thing felt rushed, bizarre considering Doug Naylor has had so long to come up with a story. The script felt like a first draft, the acting felt like a rehearsal (how many times did they fail to deliver any of the allegedly funny lines with any sense of comic timing?) & the direction was flat & again with no sense of comic timing or pacing.

Splitting it up into 3 parts didn’t help I suppose, but the first episode was terribly laborious, & just what was the point of the new female hologram?!? I assumed she would return later (& she did but in a rather pointless way) as part of some clever plot twist. I'm guessing that she may have been carried over from a different script? Kryten could have come up with the dimension jumping device & therefore made for a faster episode that could have ended with the cliff-hanger of the crew arriving on earth & finding the dvds. This may have helped retain viewers, considering half of them couldn’t be bothered to tune in to the 2nd episode!! I’m sure the hardcore fans watched every episode but a show cannot survive on that alone, if this was an attempt to gain more fans (& it must have been, because it wisely ignored the cliff-hanger to series 8 which would have alienated audiences who may only be familiar with the basic premise of the show) it failed.

The over-referencing of Blade Runner became annoying to, & of course alienating to a large section of the audience who may not be that familiar with it. A few references here & there would be fine, but there were far too many, & more importantly they served no real purpose, the plot would have worked fine without then. The conversation with their creator was appalling, I was almost shouting at the screen, “yes, I get it you’ve seen Bladerunner Doug, so have I! Now move on!!!“ The only really good one was the photo scan scene because that worked as a film reference & as a funny gag (one of the few!!)

& the theme running throughout seemed to be Doug Nalyor moaning about the fact that his show wasn’t on any more! Well, if this is the quality of the writing it doesn’t deserve to be!! I take no pleasure in saying that but at the end of the day the blame lies with Doug Naylor. He just hasn’t got the ability to do it on his own, with a co-writer you have someone else to test out ideas with, to fine tune gags etc. Without that we get a lazy rehash of Back To Reality, with gags that are simply poor imitations of what we’ve seen before.

Nothing lasts forever, some of my favourite sitcoms only had a small number of series (Porridge, Father Ted, Spaced, Fawlty Towers) & as much as a love Red Dwarf if Back To Earth signifies the current quality of writing (& don’t forget, this was not just a new 3 parter but an advert for a potential new series) then I feel it would be best to put the show & audiences out of their misery by laying Red Dwarf to rest. For me Red Dwarf ended with the Out Of Time cliff-hanger of series 6, I hoped that Back To Earth would be a successful reboot of the show after the awful direction taken for 7 & 8, I didn’t want it to be awful, but sadly it was.

R.I.P. Red Dwarf. Back To Earth was nothing more than a 3 part suicide note.

(I shall now be going into stasis for about 3 million years to avoid the inevitable insults which will be flung my way. It seems perfectly acceptable here for those with an opposite opinion to make patronising & rude comments to anyone who doesn't hold their opinion. Would you do this to a stranger you were having a chat with in the pub? Of course not so why is it acceptable here?)