Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Originally posted by Sion Mowbray:

I'm thrilled to hear that Back to Earth is confirmed for a DVD release. I was worried it would be overlooked.

With it being filmed in High Definition, does that mean a Blu Ray release is possibly in our future?

Also, will the Red Christmas mobisode(s) be on the DVD as a special feature?

2. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

i cant wait to listen to the cast commentary. i'm watching every series with the cast commentary on they crack me up!!!

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I find the cast commentaries a lot of fun, but they aren't very insightful. I've certainly never felt the need to listen to any of them more than once.

For this reason I'm hoping this time round we'll also be treated to a Doug Naylor commentary. His commentaries with Ed Bye were among my favourite extras on the Bodysnatcher Collection.

4. admuz

admuz Second Technician

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Bodysnatcher Collection the other day. Been wanting it ever since it came out but its a lot of money really. Looking forward to it arriving though :-D

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's well worth the money. It's my favourite of all the Red Dwarf DVDs. This despite the fact that I still despise the remastering.

6. admuz

admuz Second Technician

I haven't watched the re-mastereds for a long time actually. When I first watched them (I was young and hadn't really seen much Dwarf) I thought they OK, bar the CGI skutters going across the screen at the start of the first episode. That was just terrible. Anyway, I'm interested to see whether I start to hate them as much as everyone else seems to when I re-watch them next week. Thinking back to some of the things that were changed, I probably will.

7. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

The price tag is worth it for the first disc alone. I beat the DVD at Scissor, Paper, Stone.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A cringe-worthy moment to rank alongside the dancing Blue Midgets sequence.

I can't remember the final score, but I lost more than I won.

9. admuz

admuz Second Technician

What on Earth...? You can play the DVD at Scissor, Paper, Stone? That seems rather random.

When I first read that I thought it was an attempt at Monkey Island style insult sword fighting! :lol:

10. SoundableObject

Just turn on the Text Track, it is Andrew Ellard explaining the changes in the remastered but it trails off a bit...

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If nothing else, the DVD puts this myth to bed categorically - those skutters are not CGI.

Thanks for that!

12. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Well they sure did look it at the time :shock:

13. SoundableObject

Watch the Re-Dwarf documentry.

14. admuz

admuz Second Technician

First thing I'll do next week when it arrives :-)

15. sionmowb

sionmowb Skutter

Thanks for reposting this for me, Andrew.

Does anyone know where I may be able to get a hold of the 2-part mobisode Red Christmas in the event that it's not on the DVD?
    The site that the old Red Dwarf Mobile site re-directs to doesn't have it, nor can I find it anywhere around my o2 WAP service. Any ideas?

16. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don't - but contact the Splash mobile people and see what they say.

17. BlueMooney

BlueMooney Skutter

I am genuinely excited about the DVD release of Back To Earth, even if the specials aren't as good as the original series.

I've always found the extras on the Red Dwarf DVDs to be vastly superior to any other DVD series. Generally, extras are just that - the main show, plus a couple of outtakes and behind the scenes stuff. But you can really see the care and thorough thought gone into the RD discs.

I'm not especially expecting miracles from the specials. I thought series VII was decent enough, but was really disappointed by VIII (but still, in my opinion, better than some of the other comedy shows the BBC has commissioned!). I'm hoping for something of better than VIII standard and anything better will have saved the series from being remembered as ending the way it did.

I'm glad Dave gave Doug the chance to do it, because I'm confident he can turn it around. :-D

18. admuz

admuz Second Technician

Got Bodysnatcher today and watched Re-Dwarf earlier. Very interesting documentary. I stand corrected on the Skutters! Already proved that it was worth me buying the set and I haven't even watched any of the other docs yet. Was slightly distracted by Andrew sounding rather like John Parrott tho...:-D

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

John Parrott the Liverpudlian snooker player? I don't quite see the similarity...

20. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

John Parrott?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.