"Backwards" this is an episode I've fallen for

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JJSMEG, Oct 7, 2011.

1. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

I am curious to know if the first episode of season III "Backwards" had made any waves in it's day, I feel this episode had been a particularly defining moment in Dwarf history and NOT just because of Llewellyn's debut. I think the whole episode was a precursor for what was to come, I loved it.

Thoughts?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was certainly a defining episode in my Red Dwarf history: it was the first episode I ever watched, and I've been obsessed with the series ever since. I can't say I'm particularly fond of Backwards now though.

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Backwards is a great episode but it aint in my fave five but it is up there!

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah t'is a great episode indeed. It was the third episode i saw (Queeg and parallel universe being the first and second). I can still remember being blown away by that episode (as well as the rest from that series) It was certainly a landmark episode for many reasons. I remember recording it, then going downstairs for some weetabix, then watching it again. ...posssibly more info than you needed to know there but we there we are :-)

I still get a lot of enjoyment from backwards when i watch the series back nowadays. I do remember initially being slightly disappointed that they hadn't followed on from parallel universe, but that soon subsided. I was already a fan by that by that point, but i think it was when Marooned was aired that i became a 'hardcore fan (it wasn't until i watched it back that it registered to me that the entire ep was set in one location and was pretty much purely a narrative episode, which just goes to show how epic the writing of that ep was, especially after such an action based ep as backwards), and then the switch back to action for Polymorph just blew me away completely, and i was hooked for life :-)

5. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I like backwards but for the first episode of the new look series I was always bummed you didn't get to see much of the bunkroom. In face you dont see it well lit and fully till Polymorph.

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

'Backwards' was a bit slapstick. If you took all the plot from it, it could have condensed down into a Benny Hill sketch. The backwards bicycle, the reverse eating and drinking, and the punchline at the end with the Cat, were all old fashioned physical sketch comedy. I love it for so many clever gags, but it doesn't come close to being in my Fave Five. Or even my Super Six. Or my Sacred Seven. Probably not even my Excellent Eight...

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I wonder how Backwards would have been received if the internet had existed back then. We've heard that the, in my view excellent, episode Meltdown was quite unpopular at the time for being perceived as being too different in tone. I wonder then how people felt about all the changes this episode brought: a new main character (played by a different actor to his previous appearance) a new Holly and the crew suddenly morphing into advanced space pilots, exploring other planets and encountering other humans.

8. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

It sure as hell was a wallop (not counting whatever else it was...) The episode just seemed to stumble along (albeit a bit haphazardly a times) into what was later to come. *Warning* I will probably make a couple more of these kinds of posts as I continue to re-watch all the episodes. Cheers