Backwards

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Mar 11, 2009.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know the discussion regarding the ins and outs, and illogicalities of this episode could be stretched as far as three billion light years, but how is it that the RD crew can choose what they do backwards in this episode? Rimmer and Kryten, for instance, form the Sensational Reverse Brothers - an act that consists of them drinking water (in the normal way, but of course backwards to the audience). They all walk and talk normally too, but at the bar in one scene, Lister and Cat decide to adopt the attitude, "when in Rome, do as the Snamor do" and proceed to drink their pints backwards. How so?

2. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Do you remember when Bob Hoskins got annoyed because Roger Rabbit could get out of the handcuffs at any time, and Roger said something like 'No, only when it was funny', or something like it? Same applies!:-D

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They're from a different, forwards, universe. Different rules apply to them.

The only way to prove this works is to visit a backwards universe and try it for yourself, of course...:-)

4. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Yes but when they went to the Paralell Universe then they were bound by their physical laws which is how Lister got pregnant!

5. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I resort to my age-old point: because the plot wouldn't have worked.

Why do the patients on House MD never get a chest X-Ray on admission? Why do the pathologists on Silent Witness take 3 days over a 30 minute autopsy? Because there would be no artistic merit to the show otherwise. Hell, why does noone realise that Viola and Sebastian are different genders in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night? I mean, one's a full-blooded man, the other is a girl pretending to be a eunuch - they at least have different voices...

I have never understood why the sci-fi audience (arguably above other genre-audiences) are so hung-up on continuity and accuracy? The key science fiction element of Red Dwarf has always been FICTION, not science.

6. aceduder

Because if we all just accepted it then we would have nothing to argue over:-)

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

And arguing is a good thing..?

8. aceduder

As long as it doesnt get nasty then yes!

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Rob Grant dealt with the Backwards world much better (if ickier) in his novel of the same name. He had more time and space to do it with though. It's understandable that liberties need to be taken when cramming it all into a half hour episode.

I still think the guy who took Lister and Cat to the London pub should have said to them "?kcim* eht gnikat uoy erA ?niagA" when they showed him the poster though.

*Bear in mind he wouldn't say 'gems' the Backwards world setting bein 20th century. Although he probably wouldn't say 'kcim' too but I want to keep language moderate.

10. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Try suspending your dis-belief and laughing, then it is all good.

11. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I dare say it would have taken ages to come up with an accurate portrayal of a backwards universe AND keep a plot everybody could follow AND still make it funny.
    We've all seen the episode so many times (including the backwards 'backwards' extra) that we've noticed all the anomalies.
    My personal favourite is the couple that are upset with Lister and Cat - even though the boys from the Dwarf have just given them a tandem!

The bottom line is - it was and is a very funny episode, sure it doesn't make too much sense if you dissect it too much but what does.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:-D There's a whole new thread in this; Your top five favourite illogicalities from backwards.

Why does no one seem surprised that the Dwarfers are doing everything backwards? Until Kryten and Rimmer form the Reverse Brothers, of course.

13. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

My favourite backwards illogicalities:

1) The club owner angrily employs the Reverse Brothers after they've caused a fight in his bar
    2) Everything is written backwards in forwards letters
    3) In newspapers the word "tomorrow" is used to mean "yesterday" etc.
    4) A couple angrily receive a tandem by asking for is return
    5) The crowd understand Rimmer's forwards speech introducing a stunt which to them has just happened.

My least favourite illogicalities:

1) *in a nasal voice* It doesn't make any sense when you think about it and it'd be better if it made sense rather than was a cleverly scripted funny screenplay.
    2) Err...
    3) That's it

14. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

Some sci-fi (Arthur C Clark, Stanislaw Lem) is sci-fi in the sense that it (mostly) could happen in this universe. Or it is at least internally consistant.
    (and THAT is why most of you have probably never heard of Stanislaw Lem: HE wrote perfectly plausible and entirely consistent sci if.)

In Red Dwarf, we got Cat piloting a ship through space. With his sense of smell. Without even needing to step outside and inhale the vacuum directly.

It's that kind of show.

As such, it's internally consistent, backwards, forwards, sideways, and that loop-d-loopy shape that bendie straws make when you're drunk and trying to drink a Guiness out of a bendy straw only can't bend it correctly cuz you're drunk.

(Ok, maybe I'm the only one that actually does THAT.)

So lets get back to arguing about the truly important things: Kochanski.

And the female Hologram.

And that other female Hologram on chanel 27 news.

And which one of them would win a three-way wrestling match in a bin full of skutters.

Backwards !ssa yM

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I don't have a 'nasal voice' and I don't think it would be funnier it it made sense.

16. CrazyFanNumber8725

I'm sure you have a wonderful Livurpurdian/Scouse* accent...
    ...to go with your personal psy-moon.

*Lister's.

17. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

I just watched the original Solaris! (By Lem.) Was Stanislaw Lem the one who wrote the short story where there was so much time travel that an entire room was filled to bursting point with versions of the main (only) character?

I wanted to write a serious SF story with the Backwards idea. Imagine finding yourself someplace where whenever you walk up to someone and try to begin a conversation, she/he is ending the conversation. You'd go mad or be mistaken for mad and hauled away within a half hour...

I'm inbetween on continuity or logical errors in episodes. There's such a thing as being too humorless and anal-retentive about accuracy, but I do care about science-fiction and even in other genres, making sense is just a basic part of good, responsible story-telling.

Some problems in "Backwards" could have been straightened out, I suppose. The whole idea of a backwards world is so incredibly hard to realize though that we really shouldn't rake them over the coals over it, and oh yes, I almost forgot, it's a comedy.

And I agree that three-way naked female wrestling is the main issue that we ought to be concerning ourselves with.

18. CrazyFanNumber8725

I didn't say they would be -- hmm -- nude! I'm a girl myself, and as such, I'd never suggest exploiting my fellow holograms in this manner!

tho my bet would be 50 dollarpounds on the Channel 27 hologram. Just looking at her makes me think she knows how to use skutters to her advantage.

tho maybe they can wear their clothes backwards in honor of the occasion.

P.s. -- the first lad that cracks a joke about a peep-hole bra has to wear one on his head for the duration of the wrestling match. And a refrigerator magnet painted silver stuck to his forehead with chewing gum.

p.p.s -- I didn't read a lot of Lem. I thought he was a very good writer, but he had to use all his skills just to make some realistic story based on actual physics readable. IF he wrote good stuff besides that... i'll have to look him up again.

19. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Well, frankly, I consider that to be an oversight on your part...

20. CrazyFanNumber8725

!nam ...uoy ...uoy ,pmud sdrawkcab a ekat og hA

Now if you excuse me, I need to go watch my favorite sceene in Terrorform again... the bit involving oil.