Bad Language

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metallithrax, Nov 1, 2012.

1. metallithrax

metallithrax Third Technician

OK, I am not a prude who doesn't like bad language, but why start using "Twat", "Bollocks","Bastard" etc when the show has got to 8 proper series without(to my memory) any proper swear words.

Like I said, i'm not offended by it, just don't think it is needed.

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

"Twat" and "bastard" have both appeared in previous series, the latter on multiple occasions.

3. metallithrax

metallithrax Third Technician

Damn, you know, now you say it, I remember some:

"Let's go out there and twat it"
    "My duty as a complete and utter bastard"
    "When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like, and still climb into your 26" waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age, 24-25, your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat bastard"

:eek:ops:

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I did notice that they had too much of it, I don't mind it in other shows but in rd I prefer the funny dwarf words like goit

Christmas Rubbish likes this.
  5. snodgrass

snodgrass Third Technician

Bastard has been used loads of times, Rimmer called Captain Hollister "Mr Fat Bastard 2044" as far back as series 2. And the Cat said the S-word in series 6, Emohawk I think.

Christmas Rubbish likes this.
  6. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Red Dwarf's always got the swearing right IMO

It doesn't overdo it to the point that gags and jokes hinge on a swear word

But it doesn't shy away from using them either :-)

7. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

When did they say bollocks? Not questioning you, just can't remember!

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Rimmer said it when Kryten told him to stop writing the letters. It was in that long curse he did

9. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Lister (in Rimmers body) calls Rimmer (in Listers body) "You bastard" when he thinks Rimmer has lost his arm (and his watch) in Bodyswap. At least I think he did.

10. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I think Cat has said 'sh*t' at some point, too.

I like the swearing. Some sitcoms go very far with it and some have none at all. Dwarf seems to have got the mix right.

I wonder if the more prevalent or certainly more noticeable swearing has got something to do with the change from Beeb to Dave. BBC is rather more strict than any other channel.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf seemed to use the word "bastard" a great deal in the 3rd and 4th seasons....far more then it ever has been said in series X. Hell it's even had more prominent swear words in the original series like when Cat said "Does mouse sh*t roll? I'll get you there bud" in Emohawk.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There does seem to be a 'swearword of the week' thing going on in series X. I don't mind it, but it always feels odd to me when words that have previously been avoided or underused are uttered in episodes.

13. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Bastard has been said loads of times throughout the shows history. Twat has made 3 appearances now, but two are from X alone. smeg has only been said once and bollocks was said in IX and implied in VIII.

On the DVD cover it does state that there is "one use of mouthed strong language" in this series. Now, the BBFC only refer to the F word as strong language so it seems we are going to get that in The Beginning, or else it's something that happens in the special features/smeg ups?

I think that it would be very weird to have the F word, even in a mouthed form, in Red Dwarf. Milder swearing like above is fine, but when it goes strong for no apparent reason it seems like it was purely put in to get a reaction or due to lazy writing.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I fear you might be right. I've actually been thinking for a while now that this bad language was all leading up to an utterance of the F word in The Beginning.

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It also states on the back of the DVD cover that it is suitable viewing for 12 year olds. So I can't see it being one of those words myself.

16. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

You can have a few uses of the F word in material rated 12. Titanic had an F word, heck, it even had boobage. The King's speech had 13 F's or something in a row and it was left uncut after appeal as that many would usually get a 15. Try and find a film rated 12 these days that doesn't have an advisory saying "contains one use of [or] infrequent strong language". Sadly it's the norm these days.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The "tiny teaser" for this episode on G&T is "We're f*****." but I had put that down to that website's penchant for rather childish swearing.

"Mouthed" is an odd way to describe it though. I wonder if maybe we see a shot of the boys "looking out of the window" and muttering it. It will seem odd, either way.

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Just to clear up the above. G&T's review of The Beginning reveals that the "We're smegged" line was indeed originally performed as "we're f*****" on the night of the recording.

While this explains the rather jarring jump-cut to the tamer line in the aired episode it is utterly perplexing that Doug apparently considered introduing the F-word into Red Dwarf.

I wonder if the "mouthed" stuff above referes to the fact that the "smegged" line has, in fact, been dubbed and the F word is what lip readers might pick up on.

A really strange decision though, even if it was ultimately shelved. I certainly don't want Red Dwarf to move in a more "adult" direction just because its now on a slightly more laddish channel. I wasn't really fond of Futurama's shift in this direction after a similar switch and I feel that this series already demonstrated that Doug doesn't have the discipline required to make that work subtly.

19. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

I'm not sure if cat says an S word in season six. The line was "dose mouse s roll downhill"

20. Reznor

Reznor Guest

He does. :-)