Bad Language

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metallithrax, Nov 1, 2012.

1. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

Well there we go then.

2. Reznor

Reznor Guest

[​IMG] :-)

3. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

British television is ruled by it's own FCC. It's called OFCOM, although they're a bit naff. I've lost count how many times I've heard the 's-word' right after 6 in the evening on the radio. Technically, they're not allowed to do that. Nor is Kerrang! Radio allowed to play songs with the same word uncensored at 2 in the afternoon, but they do. You're not allowed to show boobs on TV until after nine, but C4 does it all the time. Sky News was hearing of a terrifying account from a victim, live, who mentioned the 'f-word' about 20 times at noon - hundreds of complaints, no action taken. More and more swear words are being allowed before the watershed that it's got to the point where I'm not surprised what I hear on the TV anymore. OFCOM rarely do anything.

Red Dwarf not having 'f-word' is unusual for a comedy in today's culture, which is why they have the word 'smeg'. It wouldn't surprise me to hear the 'f-word', but I don't think it would fit in the show. Although I can hear Lister saying it.

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Radio has more freedom with swear words, its not the same as TV.

5. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Father Ted is a show that also really resisted having the F word and instead used the word 'feck' as a replacement in the same way smeg is used in Red Dwarf to allude to some stronger words. Incidentally, feck is not the Irish version of the F word, it actually means 'to throw' and it was Father Ted that essentially changed peoples perception of the word and indeed on some forums I use now they don't even let you type feck because they believe it to mean the F word. Plenty of people now use feck as a way of saying the F word without actually saying it, and that's all down to Father Ted.

In the final season of Father Ted though, there was one episode where the proper F word was said twice, unbleeped and it got an incredible laugh and the joke itself is one of the more popular and quoted ones to this day (along with the cow small/far away bit). Maybe that's what Doug was hoping for but changed his mind at the last minute. Perhaps this was the thing that got the audience gasping during the recording of the final episode, or was it definitely the 'other thing'? (Not gonna say it so our non UK readers won't have it spoiled for them!)

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

They do, though. Do you read the bulletins they put out? They take a LOT of action against compliance breaches.

7. Ally1990

Ah, well, yes, they do take action now and again, I think what I was trying to get at is that it doesn't stop them. TV and radio stations will never stop 'breaching the rules'. It's how they keep viewers. Many of them can afford to keep getting punished because it's usually just a fine that is a drop in the ocean for them.

And I know radio has always been more lax on censorship, it was just a point that censorship isn't the first thought of some of our programmes.

8. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I have always viewed the language in RD to be of a decent and complimentary level to the actual jokes and show as a whole. Other sitcoms overdo it grossly, but, like has been said by a few Dwarfers here already, the Boys from the Dwarf have it right. I actually found 'bollocks' to be rather amusing, especially since it's such a British word. :-p xD And Rimmer's extended cuss simply displays his extreme displeasure at being found out and having his years of efforts exposed and thwarted xD Fitting, I think. :-p

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Thinking about it I'm guessing that the scene containing the 'F' word is probably in the deleted scenes on the DVD's and also probably bleeped out hence the description of "mouthed" swear word on the BBFC site.

I do hope the show doesn't decide to cross over into using too many real swearwords. One of the charms of Red Dwarf is that it was always a bit risque watching it as a kid but ultimately as an adult it is still something I would be comfortable letting my kids (of a certain age) watch.

10. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

I don't think there is a danger of it slipping into a more vulgar realm, as it would ultimately change the viewing demographic, and detract from the initial atmosphere and charm of the show. I think they would be mindful of this. The words they have used to date are just about under the bar, and have pretty much remained on the same sort of level all the way through. :-)It would be good, though, to hear more of the likes of 'goit', 'gimboid' and more 'smeg' again :-)

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol aww i see bedford cried to seb again :P
    stop living in the past and in denial beddy :-)

12. snodgrass

snodgrass Third Technician

I just couldn't imagine the any effing in Red Dwarf, it's always had its own swearwords with the odd twat and bastard thrown in generally for good comedic effect. I wouldn't like to see it turn into Peep Show in space :shock:

13. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

Saying that, I would like to see *that* as a seperate series... >_____> xD

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I love the RD swear words and the odd comedy sear word is great but RD doesn't have to rely on that for comedy, it's not the Inbetweeners... But whatever RD does, as long as it's done in a funny or well thought out way... Hey ho pip and dandy :-D

15. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I think 99% of swearing for comic effect is weak comedy and dislike it. A well-placed F word can be very funny indeed but those occasions are rare. As for RD, I wouldn't like the F word; it would take the level down somewhat I feel.

16. datadeltax

datadeltax Skutter

obviously you haven't watched torchwood 8)

17. bedfordfalls

I've watched all the deleted scenes on the DVD now and there is no use of the F-word in them so I'm really not sure what the "mouthed strong language" is...I'm guessing its bleeped swearing in the smegups.

18. Ally1990

re Torchwood:

I have seen Torchwood but remember, it started on a digital channel at a later time than where it ended up, and where it ended up was considerably less sweary and sexy.

I'm glad the 'f-word' isn't on the DVD, although could it be an ester egg? I'll have to find someone to get me the DVD for Christmas and have a look through it.

19. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

It's "mouthed" so I imagine it's in a smeg up. If it was bleeped, they would state it was bleeped. On the Oceans 12 DVD they state on the back it contains bleeped uses of strong language so if it was bleeped on the DVD it would have said so. I'm guessing someone messes up their line and can be seen to mouth the F word, but if you look at yourself in the mirror saying the F word, it doesn't look like you are, so how could they tell that's what was being said? Unless it's a deleted scene of the alternative "We're smegged" line and instead of bleeping they have dipped the sound but you can still see the mouth movements?

20. bedfordfalls

There's no deleted scene of the alleged alternative line from 'the beginning', that much I can confirm. Unless its hidden away as an easter egg...although I doubt this DVD has any easter eggs as it doesn't have many extras in general. A real shame considering the alternate scripts, Red Dwarf the movie artwork and other little "pause it!" things that pop up during the documentary.