Bad Language

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metallithrax, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Sylux024

Sylux024 Third Technician

It's never really bothered me.
    Besides Rimmer middle-fingered Ace once remember?

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Iv'e watched everything on the dvd and have not seen anything that can be described as the F word in any way, mouthed or voiced.

3. trevkam

trevkam Skutter

I believe Stephen Fry has (as usual) the right idea on this subject.

Here is a video where he explains his position on swearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM 8)

4. cougarric

cougarric Third Technician

Didn't Lister once say "The fat bastard aria"?

5. cougarric

cougarric Third Technician

imo the swearing in RD is rare and when it happens it does make the scene funnier.

They don't rely on bad language to enhance the show, it's not needed. And thankfully they haven't resorted to it.

6. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

STOP YOUR FOUL WHINING YOU FILTHY PIECE OF DISTENDED RECTUM, HIT THE WALL GO ON HIT THE WILL, YOU SHUT UP YOUR DEAD GIT SOME OF US ARE TRYING TOO SLEEP!!!!!:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Aye, it's all about moderation and context in my view. When someone swears all the time the words lose their power. I know people who swear so much that they sometimes add the F word into the middle of other words...It's ri-smeggin'-diculous I tells ya'!

There's very little that can offend me, but I do find people who swear all the time extremely dull and tiresome. However, when used well and at the opportune moment with real passion and meaning. Or when it has good comedy value, such words can work very well, eg;

"But you were an utter twat!" ~ Howard Rimmer

"Low long, you Mad goth bastard!?" ~ Rimsie

And even...

"Does mouse sh*t roll?" ~ Cat

If these kind of words were used in RD all the time however, I think I'd become pretty bored of it after a while. I also much prefer to hear such words as "Smeg", "gimboid", "goit" in RD as more often than not it's just more fitting.

I wouldn't want the word Cat used to be thrown around willy nilly and in an insulting context. "You pile of smeg" just works so much better in Red Dwarf than if the other "S" word was used in that context. I'm pleased that Rimmer's line was "Mad Goth bastard" rather than "mad Goth bitch" too, as the latter would not only feel completely out of place, but would also be a lot less funny.

In my personal view there much overuse and misuse of our wonderful 'swear words' on TV and certain forums nowadays. There's nothing big, cleaver or funny about forming words with letters and syllables just for the sake of trying to be offensive or "cool" or whatever.

And again it's not that it necessarily offends me personally, so don't be giving me any of that childish "ooh you're just being overly politically correct" smeg! It's got nothing to do with the "PC gone mad" myth! It's just that it comes across as pretty childish, pointless and...well, kinda' pathetic. Although somewhat ironically (and a tad hypocritically) I actually found myself swearing at the TV during an episode of 'Coming Of Age', urgh, I can't stand that show...I don't know, sometimes the writers of these modern day shows come across as a complete bunch of childish, narrow minded 'cults' to me.

So called "swear words" should be harnessed and used openly when most effective, not just smeggin' thrown the smeg around willy-bastard-nilly just for the smeggity smeggin' sake of it, for smeg's sake!..that's just smeggin' stupid!...Goits!...unless for one-off comedic purposes of course;

"Oh smeg! What the smeggin' smeg's he smeggin' done!?" ~ Lister, Bodyswap.

Now that I love as it appears (to me) to be a kind of parody of the kind of people who do overuse the certain words in that way.

So yeah, I'm happy with the use of language in RD. I do hope Doug doesn't decide to jump on the "LOOK AT ME, I CAN WRITE LOTS OF NAUGHTY WORDS!" bandwagon, but I can't see that happening really.

8. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

After watching the Smeg ups again tonight I noticed where the so called mouthed F word appears. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed it out before but its the Smeg up when Lister is telling Rimmer about sending himself a Fathers Day card but keeps getting it wrong and and saying Valentines Day card instead.

9. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I was told not to swear when I was a kid.

And when I have kids i'll tell them the same. I'll also tell them it's not big and it's not clever.

What I won't tell them though is how great it is to curse and swear when they grow up. And they'll then learn that I was saving them a wonderful gift by not telling them that swearing is ace, until they are old enough to realise how ace it is :-)

10. CatLover74

CatLover74 Skutter

Yep. It was something like "Bollocking Damn and Jumbo Buggers!" :lol:

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I think the balance is just right.

Trojan features possibly the finest use of the word "TWAT" I have ever heard.

Zero complaints. Most regular, normal people swear more in regular conversation, I would guess.

I also think it helps the fiction tie itself to the human species. It humanises it, while the made up future-swear-words help establish and maintain the sci-fi. It needs both.

12. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Have to disagree I'm afraid.......that use of the word twat was funny but nothing will ever beat "I say let's get out there and twat it!" for me.

13. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

After Polymorph, of course? :-D

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm not really a fan of swearing on the telly, although a bit here and there doesn't really bother me. In fact it can be quite funny if used appropriately.

One episode that springs to mind is the sheep episode of Father Ted. As you lot probably know, they always substitute the 'f' word for another word in Father Ted. I won't write it as it's nearly spelt the same, and while I don't think it will contravene the rules of this site, I'd rather not take the chance.

However there's a scene at the end of this episode where there's this kind of detective murder mystery parody, where Father Ted confronts a group of people concerning the nefarious manipulation of the Best Sheep contest. About three times during his speech, when he makes a revelation, a guy exclaims with the 'f' word. The actual word, not their substitute. The tone in which it's done, combined with the timing, is VERY funny. I think the Irish pronunciation of that word (to rhyme with 'look') also sounds less vulgar compared to how a Southern Englishman like me would pronounce it (to rhyme with 'luck' - although that's one word I won't say), but even so. That's a legitimate pronunciation of that word as that's how it's pronounced throughout Ireland, Scotland and northern England.

So used sparsely, swearing can have comedic value.

I'd rather do without it overall though, and I'm happy with Red Dwarf's rules on the matter. I think they pushed the boundaries a bit in the latest series, and I wouldn't want them to go further.

That scene in Father Ted with those exclamations never fails to amuse me though.

15. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Father Ted also uses "Fup" I think which allows them to get away with exclaiming in a way which sounds almost identical to you-know-what but not quite.

Moss in the IT Crowd's use of the word "Flip" even when he's at his most excited is also brilliant.

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Moss is brilliant in general.

"Ah, well. Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame, set at gas mark egg on your face...I sort of forget what I was talking about."

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Ah. My mishearing then...

Heh. This line in all it's silliness amuses me:

"I don't Adam and believe it!"

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The IT Crowd on the whole is brilliant, but it also helps make the point that swearing, so long as it's in character and not excessive, is not necessarily a bad thing. Whilst Moss is always incredibly restrained, it's in his character to be like that. Other characters language is often far, far less restrained and yet it doesn't seem out of place because thanks to the characterisation and the writing it seems appropriate and often adds to the humour. If Jen, Roy or Douglas spoke like Moss, it would seem out of place, out of character and wrong. (As an aside, one criticism I made elsewhere regarding the Family Guy Empire Strikes Back parody was that the amount of swearing seemed out of character (Both for the Family Guy proxies and the Star Wars characters they were standing in for) and out of place in the context of the movie it was parodying.)

I think for the most part Red Dwarf (RDX included) strikes a good balance, what bad language that is there mostly just serves to emphasise a point or moment (As an example, Rimmer exclaiming "Bastard!" in Waiting For God. The expletive isn't necessarily required, but in one word Chris Barrie probably demonstrates Rimmer's anger and frustration far better than any extended monologue could). It's not gratuitous and it's not used out of character or context, so I'm fine with it.

19. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Howard Rimmer's "But you're an utter twat" is easily one of X's funniest lines.

20. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Talking about swear words I always loved the way Rimmer swears at Rimmer in Me2, during night time in the bunk.