Bad Language

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metallithrax, Nov 1, 2012.

1. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

I hate swearing in programmes but Rimmers "my duty as a complete and utter bastard" is easily in my top 10 favourite Red Dwarf moments.

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Bad language has increased in the show. & I didn't like misogynist terms like "slag" being used in RD X.

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

So it's ok for series 3 then? :roll:

4. simulant37

Yes, as I recall it was used in a different context. :roll:

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Apart from that one line at the end of Dear Dave, were there any other examples? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

From Dusk Til Dawn had 50 F-bombs as well as 69 S-bombs. Thought I'd throw that out there since we're on the subject...

7. simulant37

Not that I can recall. That use of the word in Dear Dave was bad enough, & seemed totally out of character for Lister. . .:x

8. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Dave Lister: A beer swilling, curry loving, slobby bloke who winches hotel furniture to his mates outside. 'Slag' is exactly the sort of thing he'd say and in that context. He'd just not said it in the show before series 10.

Get a grip and stop being so precious :x

9. simulant37

Err, I'm not being "so precious" as you put it. Is it "precious" to find the use of the word 'slag' not only unnecessary but also out of character for Lister?

Yes he is "A beer swilling, curry loving, slobby bloke" (unclear about the winching furniture bit) but there has been nothing in his character throughout the series that has led me to believe he is sexist, in fact he has often shown a positive attitude towards women when talking to Rimmer. :x

10. Presuming Ken

Just because he's never said 'slag' before 10 doesn't make it out of character, or indeed sexist, ha. How do you know he's never called Peterson a slag? Or Rimmer, Cat and Kryten? (Oh yeah can't say that cause it was a different context :roll: ).

Doug fleshed Lister out by showing his feelings in Dear Dave. And that's a good thing.

Why don't you apply for chairman of the National Viewers and Listeners Association? Mary Whitehouse would be proud of ya ;-)

Ant E likes this.
  11. simulant37

How do we know he never called Peterson a slag? Because we have not seen it happen, so it didn't happen!

It IS a sexist term when used in relation to a woman. Because I do not like sexist language like that hardly qualifies me for the role of chairPERSON of the Nation Viewers & Listeners Association. Why on earth Mary Whitehouse would be proud of me I will never know. . .:roll: Because I do not like sexist terms like slag you are equating me with her & her opinions? laughable assumption!

12. Presuming Ken

We never saw Lister and Rimmer board Red Dwarf. But I think they appear on board in one or two eps ;-)

Nah, it's not a sexist term. You're just being a highly strung, pc-mad, negative head the ball.

Imagine being so bothered over something so small. I pity you, lady :lol::lol::lol:

Ant E likes this.
  13. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I thought slag was perfectly appropriate under the circumstances and I applaud Doug for neither conforming to theBBC/gov's brainwashing of what offensive language is (sheep follow but need a dog to enforce, human sheep enforce the crap upon echother and themselves while the dogs laugh at how dumb they are), nor the opposite which is "haha it's funny cos they swear alot" but hitting a happy medium.

Ant E likes this.
  14. simulant37

We didn't NEED to see them board, that is the premise of the show that they are there. Silly example to use to explain other things that might have happened that we didn't see.

& yes it IS a sexist term. I am not a highly strung, pc-mad, negative head the ball (whatever that last bit means?)

If you think calling a woman a slag is "something so small" then I pity you. . .& why call me a "lady"? :roll:

Here we go again more brainwashing from the powers that be?!? :roll:

15. Presuming Ken

'Cause your type of thinking is the kind that is bringing this country to a halt. You're bleating on about the word 'slag' in red Dwarf for God's sake. Jeez, get a grip.

And I said lady cause you're acting all high maintenance like one. Oops, sexist. :lol:

And if my woman cheated on me i'd call her a slag. And then i'd get on with the ironing once she'd gone. Until I met someone new of course.... :lol:

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  16. simulant37

Wow! How is my not liking a sexist word "bringing this country to a halt"?!? :?

17. Presuming Ken

Oh come on, it's a forum. Things like this are perfectly normal ;-)

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

If men and women and black people and white people and asian people are all so equally superior and powerful why do words that they themselves assign meaning to cause them such power? They aren't kryptonite or bullets, they are the evolution of grunts from the throat. Lets all be so weak and stupid we allow words to upset and control us :roll:

You could attack me for my colour (white), religion (undefinable but roughly christian), race (Semite), sexuality (heterosexual), gender (male), age (roughly twenty six but I don't remember my birth or how long ago it was and anything else is merely hear say evidence) and I would have no problem with you attacking any of those attributes, and me being offended for any of those things does not give me any more rights than any one else, surprisingly, I would however be very offended by any personal attack on me.

This is natural. Being scared to offend, or being offensive to generalised natural groups is not. Get over it.:-D

To promote peace we must remove the cause for war :-D

19. Presuming Ken

I think you'll find I said you're type of thinking ;-)

20. simulant37

OK, what is "my type of thinking" & how is it "bringing this country to a halt"