Bad Language

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by metallithrax, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Go on then. I don't like your attitude and i'm being an arse about it. you're not a nice person on here and newbie posters are put off by your negativity.

So yeah, I have a problem with you. Report me if you wish. But how about you sort your attitude out too?

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wow! Thanks are you the official spokesperson of this forum?
    What 'newbies' are put off by my negativity? :roll:

3. Presuming Ken

You really don't think you're a negative arse do ya? Oh well. See you out there (hopefully not) :shock:

4. simulant37

Answer the question. . .:x

5. Presuming Ken

6. simulant37

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh for crying out loud! This is just getting silly now.

Don't tell me: "Anti-racist = Anti-white", right? And "the most oppressed minorities in this country are middle class white men?".. :roll:

Oh the irony. Dude, you couldn't lead a "mystical right-wing nationalist libertarian" to a freemen meeting to discussion about avoiding parking tickets, never mind a blind horse to water. :P

It cracks me up that you have the nerve to call people sheep, only to then show that you yourself tend to follow the trendy "political correctness gone mad" crowd we see and hear so much of today. It's beyond ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJ9Pi_9LZM

Yes, yes you are. Clearly you've bought into the propaganda yourself! But no, TV is not the worse thing to happen to humankind. That was monarchy's and political governments, the Capitalist corporatocracy...and Simon Cowell. :P

And for crying out loud, Danny, please for the love of the almighty golden Buddha, do try to stop parroting the whole "right to be offended" smeg. Nobody thinks they have any more or less right than you! It's one of the most narrow minded, eye roll inducing, brain melting assumptions I've come across when it comes to this complex subject which you subjectively and naively try to oversimplify.

Look, if something happened to you that made you somehow feel wrongly done by then that is most unfortunate. But your personal experiences are irrelevant to the wider point here. Can you not see that by blindly assuming and falsely accusing people of being "ignorant in trying not to be ignorant" makes you look, well, incredibly ignorant!?

Beware prima facie associations, ridiculously one-sided arrogant assumptions and false perceptions. They're steering you in the wrong direction, buddy.

You don't "say it how it is", you say it how you have learned to see and believe it to be from within your in-the-box thinking - without even attempting to empathise with the views of others. Much like when you falsely accused people of complaining for the sake of complaining during the debate that stemmed from the Taiwan Tony discussions (Which seemed to misunderstood by a worrying amount of members here).

And once again for the record: I don't personally find anything about that episode offensive (it's actually become one of my favourite ep's of all time)..although my initial concerns in regards to certain fan reactions/misconceptions were indeed proven correct. It was also very telling in regards to my feeling that the "Anti-PC brigade" often tend to be much worse than those they accuse of being the "PC Police". And some (but not all) of them do indeed appear to speak out against Political Correctness as a defence mechanism for their own bigoted brainwashed views. Whereas others appear to invent problems simply to argue against them.

I don't personally find anything in any RD episode offensive. I'm not offended by the Taiwan Tony scene and Chinese Whispers isn't racist, lol. I'm not offended by Lister's use of the word "Slag" and I'm not offended by the whole "Bent Bob" scene (In fact I find it very funny). Although unlike you I am able to understand and empathise with why some do find such things offensive.

Perception and personal interpretation has so much to do with all the above examples. On the other side of the outmoded corroded coin I've found certain reactions to various episode-related discussions quite disturbing.

See, all the things you accuse others of, such as pandering to diversionary propaganda...you are (possibly unknowingly) taking part in and perpetuating yourself!

Funny thing about this hear human "awakening"/evolution, some are still so firmly locked inside the box that they can barely understand the way the world really works - and/or how the system works and how they're being psychologically coerced. Whilst others are so far outside of that box but they've gone and got themselves lost, before becoming imprisoned in an equally misguided, owned and controlled box of their own...'tis most unfortunate...but makes for good study material for combined social sciences courses.

[​IMG]

8. Freeborn

Quite frankly, Danny, I honestly don't even think you have even begun to understand what my opinion is on this issue, which wouldn't be the first time.

No one is dictating anything to you. Stop being such a drama queen. We're all in this together. And this is just a conversation. I'm sorry if my views offend you. Should I start treating you differently because you can't handle differing opinions?

Then why are you arguing with me? What is your argument? You think I don't treat individuals as individuals (including my own multi-heritage family) You think I would treat you differently because you're white? If so then you need to come back to earth and stop being so judgemental.

Huh? what I'm promoting? LOL. Where are getting this from? You're just making stuff up now. :roll:

Look, for your information (although I suspect you already know this) I cannot personally relate so much to people feeling proud to be black, white, male, female, gay, straight, British, English, American, etc. This whole pride in relation to things we can't control for the most part is a very odd concept to me. I see people as people. I pledge allegiance to the world and every one on it. I am human, as are you. We're all brothers and sisters, and indeed we are, biologically, one race.

However, I do understand and respect peoples rights to express themselves and their beliefs (even yours :P ), and indeed I do find it easier to empathise with some of the above mentioned more so than others. But then nothing is as black and white as you try to make it out to be. Life is not some movie where the human species will all of a sudden wake up one day and realise we're all one. It's a complex world and there are no simple solutions! You can't just go around saying "We're all the same! Stop being offended!" and expect everything to be hunky dory.

People have a right to be treated as equals (as in not being judged differently due to ethnicity, sexuality, etc). They also have a right to be individuals. And above all they have a right to their own views. And they have every right to be offended, as do you!

If you feel proud to be white, or English, then hey, whatever dude. No one is stopping you. So please stop trying to claim otherwise. Stop being so scared of offending people, then accusing them of being like you!

I'm promoting nothing here other than basic common sense, general social awareness and empathy for others.

I wish you would. I'm tired of your oversimplified judgemental ways.

I feel the same way about you, Danny...well, kind of. I think.

9. Freeborn

Well there's a balmy notion if ever I heard one!

In all seriousness though, this is the most constructive comment on "political Correctness" I've ever read on this forum. And I concur, sir - 'tis far from perfect. But if this discussion is to continue it's emergence then it makes sense to finally lets get down to the nitty gritty. Moving fwds>> :-)

And now, here's another Steward Lee clip...just 'cause I admire his comedy style and the way he makes his points on such subjects as this. :-)

*Contains a mild swear word [in text on the screen]*

10. Presuming Ken

Time for apologies.

First of all let me say my conduct on here the other night was totally inappropriate and unacceptable.

I know it's a very very poor excuse, but I was completely smashed. Normally I'm quite a nice drunk but on Weds I was in a bad mood (personal things).

Being in such a negative state of mind I shouldn't have posted on here. I was picking a fight and was out of order.

Sorry especially to JMC and Simulant. Now, I don't always agree with Sim's attitude sometimes. But I could have made my point in a much more grown-up, sensible and nice way.

I hope you guys accept my apologies.

Cheers.

11. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Been there and done that myself Ken, If anything gets to me on forums these day I usually just walk away and dig out my Auf Wiedersehen Pet DVD's pick ep 1 and watch that instead (Replace with whatever is your own fav dvd). The trouble with that is I never surface until I have watched the lot.;-)

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

i wouldnt mind some bad language in the next series as long as its necessitated and not just for the sake of it, usually a smeg or a goit is funnier but depends.

13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

*nervously* Re the row between Sim, JMC and Presuming Ken... Is... is it okay between you guys now..? :shock:

14. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

I agree with Freeborns statement of Jmc's wise words , Not so many years away I once felt the same as Danny is talking about. But a massive anxiety attack brought about with facing impending doom from mankinds unwillingness to fix things by moving forward, instead of staying fighting past historical grievances has caused me to see the light (the not so big bang theory). I hold out for hope that now we have learnt so much about where we have come from that we can look forward to a world of peace for the whole Human family.
    United Earth is the only way forward - if you arent helping your fellowman - who will help you?
    sorry guys but acceptance,tolerance,individuality,civility and empathy should always be at the forefront in public places, where the masses can be assured that the world is a nice place to be filled with nice people. and as jmc mentions certain jokes shared in certain unique friendships are absolutely fine, fun and neccessary. so keep the positivity going- 2013 is gonna be a fantastic year- you'll see. weve had glorious sunshine today, a lovely siberian chilly blast, but that sun just brings the light back in at the right times!

15. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    I think when a series starts or usues language they've lost the plot. A few there and now in a certain situation although not acceptable might add to the scene but I prefer the comedy script to do the talking instead of the mindless cussing which adds nothing but lowers the tone somewhat. :-)

16. dodgebizkit

Very true. Skodas may be a car that's been hated on and picked on, but we dont drive any more or less aggressively when driving near a Skoda to when driving around a Ford, or a Ferrari (a sexy lady), the body is only the physical manifestation or a vehical for the persona or the soul, I treat people for who they are inside the car and not for what kind of car they have, I think its acceptable to make non-offensive jokes about car stereotypes such as what department a man with a BMW is lacking in, with humans I treat them as if I was blind, its only a lump of flesh, bone and blood, why treat anyone any different for the brand of flesh they were born with? I'm proud to wear my white 4x4 and that guy has every right to be proud of his black porsche, and the other guy there also should be proud too to be driving his little pink mini, if he so desires, we all have equal rights, no pig is more or less equal than the other no matter what George Orwell says.

I just broke my oath of debate... starting again from NOW!:arrow:

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

:shock: Pink? :eek:

As I told the teenager who served me in a luggage shop on Saturday, offering me a pink lock for my suitcase, I'm in the wrong generation for men and pink to go together :roll:

Guy in a pink Mini, I ask ya. Tut tut tut. What is the world coming to [​IMG]

18. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

I don't think the language was overdone. The only real difference was one or two instances of using words in a stronger context than previously e.g. "Slag" and Rimmer's exclamation when he can't get a sicknote in "Dear Dave". Am I allowed to quote it here? ;-)

Anyway, the words themselves weren't new, just the meaning they were given.

19. dodgebizkit

This is all conditioning, see :-)

20. Freeborn

Ah yes, a quote from an Earnshaw's Infants' Department article if I'm not mistaken. Your post has reminded me of some notes I wrote for a blog I had meant to get around to writing some time ago.

It's amazing how the consumer industry and media was/is able to encourage, shape and mould certain trends and easily accepted conventions.

"Use pink for the boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." ~ The Sunday Sentinal, 1914

It doesn't really take much more than articles like that to start the ball rolling really, or at least it didn't back then. The same thing happens nowadays of course, only we as a society have changed in certain ways...And thus so too has the media and consumer industry. But people still think they're making these decisions for themselves. Which they are to a certain degree of course...but as always there is a source to those seemingly independent decisions of which mask themselves behind the oversimplified notion of free will.

The more recent JeongMee Yoon pink and blue experiment is interesting too. Not that such things should really need to be experimented, it's just basic common sense, surely?..*shrugs*

"The differences between girls’ objects and boys’ objects are also divided and affect their thinking and behavioural patterns. Many toys and books for girls are pink, purple, or red, and are related to make up, dress up, cooking, and domestic affairs. However, most toys and books for boys are made from the different shades of blue and [?] and are related to robots, industry, science, dinosaurs, etc.

This is a phenomenon as intense as the Barbie craze. Manufacturers produce anthropomorphic ponies that have the characteristics of young girls. They have barrettes, combs and accessories, and the girls adorn and make up the ponies. These kinds of divided guidelines for the two genders deeply affect children’s gender group identification and social learning.

As girls grow older, their taste for pink changes. Until about 2nd grade, they tend to be obsessed with the colour pink, but around 3rd or 4th grade, they do not obsess with pink as much any more. Usually, their tastes change to purple. Later, there is another shift. However, the original association with the colour-code often remains." ~ JeongMee Yoon

I often Imagine how the fashion trends may look today had it not been decided to switch the colours around at some point. I guess it seems pretty funny or weird (or unnatural in some people's minds) to us because we were born into this. I' mean, I'm fairly certain most if not all people with children reading this dressed their baby girls in pink and boys in blue - hence for want of a more socially acceptable term, conditioning them from pretty much day one. We can use other terms if it makes people feel better, but Danny is right in this sense, social conditioning is what is basically boils down to at this point. Not that it's necessarily a harmful one in this example...although it can be..

There are of course still many people who genuinely believe we're born preferring a particular colour, as in that you and I are quite literally genetically hard-wired to prefer blue over pink. and that going against that would be unnatural (against human nature).

As you might imagine I've had many a debate with people of this disposition. Some make some interesting points, whilst some simply ignore the very basic understandings and try to explain their beliefs away by basing their arguments on the experiences of themselves and family members, yet refuse to even attempt to view the bigger picture. Which is...*sigh*...I don't even know how best to finish this sentence, so I wont. :P

...unfortunate, there we are, 'tis most unfortunate.