BBC Link to Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by acerimmer_165, Mar 28, 2009.

1. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I always thought that the BBC had nothing to do with BTE.

But looking at Wikipedia randomly, I discovered that Dave (Click here to see entry), is (obviously) owned by UKTV, which I knew. What I didn't know was that UKTV is a joint venture by Virgin Media and ... BBC Worldwide

Obviously, I reember the KCS9 interview, but I never realised that he was talking about Dave (UKTV G2)

Could this mean that BTE will open the doors to a new BBC series?????

2. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

I thought this was common knowledge.

The BBC and BBC Worldwide are seperate companys and I doubt that link will give us a new series on the BBC. But what might give us a new series on the BBC is if the viewing figures for BTE become ridiculously high, and the BBC are that impressed that they then decide they are intrested in the audiance Red Dwarf used to attract.

3. acerimmer_165

It is common knowledge...

But I'm not that smart :-D

I'm leaving now, so from this moment on, the rest of this discourse will be conducted by those with brains larger than a grape

4. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

They should stick with Dave.

The BBC burned that bridge, they can live with it if it's a huge succsess, IMO.

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

loyalty to Dave would be nice, but the BBC has a much bigger audience

6. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

And the Beeb brought us almost everything RD up to BTE - surely that'd deserve a little loyalty?
    Inbetween the beatings of course..

7. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

We've got a lot to be thankful to the BBC for.

8. connell

connell First Technician

But not wanting Red Dwarf back isn't one of them! I agree, the BBC had there chance, chucked it away, so more power to Dave!

9. acerimmer_165

Yeah but would Dave actually broadcast another series?

It would be expensive, and Dave doesn't get as many viewers as the BBC :-(

I wish it would, because I reckon that if Dave will revive the series, it should be the one that continues it. *fingers crossed*

10. TheAmazingDannyKing

I think viewing figures are relative.

BBC 2 may get more viewers, but that does not stop any of us watching Red Dwarf on Dave, which will more than likely get very high numbers on their terms. They've made investment and show genuine enthusiasm to Red Dwarf where the BBC said "float".

Yes, thank you to the BBC for Red Dwarf and their support over the years, but I don't think they should get a new series on the back of Dave's effort. Dave should.

11. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

I agree with this but in the end who could provide Red Dwarf with a more stable future if there is a 9th series? The BBC can chuck alot more money and facalities than Dave can I expect.

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

The thing is, Red Dwarf on Dave becomes a dwarfers only kind of thing. New fans are far more likely to be found if it was on BBC2, or even BBC3, and I think it's important for as many people to discover the show as possible. Let's not forget, the show has been gone for 10 years and I can't even remember the last time the BBC repeated them.

13. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

How about a new series screens on Dave and then the BBC show it a month or two later?

14. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Whoever shows it I'll be watching!

Yes we do have a lot to thank the BBC for for giving the show a chance in the first place, however as they have said that they have no interest in another series and Dave is showing it then thats where I will go!
    My loyalty is to the show and GNP, wherever they go, I will follow them! In fact when I first got online (only about a year ago now!) I tried e-mailing some of the other broadcasting companies (ITV, Channel Four, Five and SKY!)to see if they would bring the show back for us (this was done with the rather naieve thought that no-one else would have possibly thought of trying this!!!!)

15. TheAmazingDannyKing

I have to dissagree with you here. I think this is just something you're perceving for some reason.

Dave is just as, if not more watched than BBC3. It is not as watched as BBC2, but this does not mean only Red Dwarf fans watch it, it's unbelieveably popular, especially with younger male demographics who probably didn't even catch Red Dwarf first time around, indeed most of the newer fans of the last few years found it through Dave / G2 / UK Gold.

Dwarf is a ratings winner for Dave on repeat value alone, and I doubt the majority of those viewers are hardcore Dwarfies, since they'll own the DVD's and more than likely not watch every repeat anyway. The core viewing audience there is the casual viewer who is finding Red Dwarf or reliving some nostalga while not being a "proper" Dwarf addict.

I think it's an unfair statement.

16. doggett

doggett Second Technician

The Beeb could do a better job of advertising it.

Loads of people didn't even know it was coming back until I told them...And then they didn't believe me, they had to go on to this site to see for themselves!!!!

That wouldn't happen with the Beeb.

There should be posters on bus stations and stuff...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to rant, but what the hey!!!

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It still wasn't a bad idea though. The more people mail, the more apparent the demand for the show!