Best episode to introduce a newbie too...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by TheAmazingDannyKing, Mar 26, 2009.

1. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Sorta nicked this idea out of another thread, but whatthehey.

Which episode would be the best to introduce someone to Red Dwarf?

I've used Polymorph a few times and here is why I think it works;

The start of the episode introduces the characters nicely without a requirement of knowing who they are. Lister making a meal with medical equipment, the Cat's "I smell good" line, Kryten's blubbering and Rimmer's home video all introduce the audience quite nicely to the characters.

The rest of the episode requires little knowlege of the characters beyond what it establishes, and contains someof the best humor of the series, some parts possibly ever. If you're going to find Red Dwarf funny, this episode is the one that'll hook you IMO.

Counter arguments? :P

2. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Psirens.

Whilst it doesn't feature Holly, or Red Dwarf, it does introduce the characters from scratch at the beginning and has some great gags in, especially the pen joke...

The rest of series 6 follows on well from it. 6 is my fave series because not only is it full of individually strong episodes, but there is a full story arc across the series ending in a great cliffhanger!

3. angelajohnson

angelajohnson Third Technician

To my memory the first episode I ever watched and loved was Camille. No-one can fail to love Lister trying to teach Kryten to lie.

Polymorph is good but think it's perhaps (PERHAPS) a little too...well...very sci-fi? I know you can't escape that in Red Dwarf and shouldn't want to! Depends who you're showing it to, of course, but I'd fear some of my friends who are purely comedy fans would probably be put off by the involved storyline. Then again I've only tried to introduce/force Dwarf on one of my friends... I started with The End. He'd seen a few from the later series already so thought it'd be good to take him back to the beginning... Sadly me and another friend couldn't stop quoting all over it and ruined his experience. I often try to make him tune in whenever they crop up on Dave. We watched Demons and Angels the other night (Rimmer in drag and Lister eating taransula's perhaps TOO much?!) but, alas, I think it's just not for him.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Gunmen would be my choice because it's such an impressive episode: a clever and imaginative plot, the Wild West setting, memorable moments, good jokes.

I'd say Backwards as well, since it served as an effective introduction episode for me and got me hooked for life.

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Polymorph was my first and that got me hooked. But I'd say Back To Reality for most people.

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Polymorth hits all the right buttons with some great gags, good character exploration and a very simple scifi monster movie premise that few scifi fans will struggle with. I still think The End is the best for introducing the situation and characters, though it's an obvious choice. I hate to admit it, but I could still laugh through Holly telling Lister 'He's dead Dave! Everybody's dead Dave!' even if that scene were twice the length.:-D

7. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

The End.

Introduces characters brilliantly and contains loads of great gags.

(Everybody's dead Dave)

8. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Gunmen, but it can easily give rong first impression to the show. But "Balance of power" did it for me too

9. andywey

andywey Skutter

Has to be THE END. showed my kids this and have now bought the complete 8 series on dvd they watch it over and over. fills my heart to bursting every time i hear them call each other SMEG HEAD, although the wife is not so thrilled about it.:-D

10. connell

connell First Technician

The End , Polymorph , Psirens or Legion I would say

11. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Queeg.

Simple. Effective. Funny.

12. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Backwards.

13. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I believe Back to reality is very good, it was the first ep i saw properly when i was a kid,
    failing that polymorph. PS: I know the post edit is drastic but...ehehhh

14. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

My first episode was Better than life; the first time it was shown. It was fantastic and what got me in to Red Dwarf, I guess it would have the same magic on anyone else.