Best episodes, Worst episodes: a G&T Survey.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ghastly98, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

http://www.ganymede.tv/silversurvey/

Ganymede and Titan have released an open survey of best to worst episodes. I urge everyone to take it, and perhaps post your personal "best episodes" and "worst episodes" on the forum. ;-)

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

It took me two hours to complete it.

I'm still not happy with my order, but I'll never be happy with it so I went with my instincts.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think I'll do it. I'm not sure I can order every single episode by favour. I mean, isn't it possible to like several the same? Or like different episodes in different ways, i.e. you might like the story in one and the comedy in another. Sometimes just one great scene can elevate an episode.

4. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

In case anyone missed this elsewhere, the results are now in:

http://www.ganymede.tv/2013/02/the-silver-survey-results/

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

A great survey. Thank you guys :-)

There are a few surprises for me in there, but the top and bottom groups are pretty as expected. I wonder if there's some bizarre alternate universe where Pete Part Two is really, really good?

6. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

It's a good poll. I half agree with it and half don't, but it wont ever be exactly the same
    as our own voting on episodes. It's overall votes so that's fair enough!

7. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I was suprised to see Camille at 32. I think it's a far better episode than that.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like Camille too. The episode I mean rather than the character, (although that eyestalk under a certain light).

32 isn't bad though when you consider they're rating individual episodes in order. That means if you think most of the episodes are good (and I think most fans do, and even if they detest the latter series which are still just 3 out of 10) a good episode can end up midway down.

I refused to take part, because while I could probably pick a favourite or even the worst, I couldn't rank them all individually. I might be able to rank them if multiple episodes could share places.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I didn't participate for the same reason, I might have been able to come up with a personal top 10 but I have neither the time or inclination to sit down and put every episode in order of preference, even if I did so the order would probably have changed slightly by the following day in any case.

There weren't too many surprises for me there though, there were a few did a bit better or worse than I expected but overall it seemed about right to me.

10. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I was a bit overwhelmed by that task as well, but once you sat down and did it, it was pretty easy. I think it took me about 10-15 minutes to come up with an order which seemed right.

As for Camille, the central plot is pretty tacky, but the interaction between the various characters is hilarious and shows RD at its best, IMHO. I'm thinking particularly of the confusion between Rimmer and Kryten in Starburg's cockpit, when they're discussing Camille. Great stuff.

One amazing thing about the survey for me... people think The Beginning is better than Terrorform, Demons & Angels and DNA!

But I'm glad to see that my two favourite episodes are, indeed, the two fan favourites: Back to Reality and Marooned. The only possible bone of contention there is that I would probably put Marooned at Number 1.

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I ranked it above all of those!

Demons & Angels is my least favourite of Series I-VI, and the other two aren't that far above it. Whereas I ranked The Beginning at #15.