best ever episode?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrsmith, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

what do you think is the best ever red dwarf episode i cant decide between quarantine and gunmen of the apocolypse

2. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

mine has to be gunman of the apocloypes

3. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

So many episodes to choose from, but if a kidnapper held something sharp to my face and made me choose, my first shout would be Better Than Life. If he wasn't convinced I was telling the truth, next out would be Timeslides, Back To Reality, Backwards, Confidence & Paranoia and Thanks For The Memory.

But only if I was pressed... :lol:

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think Waiting For God is really underrated. I don't think I have a favorite, but I really like that one. So basically, this post is a waste of time since it doesn't answer the question of the thread. But there it is!:-)

5. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I can only choose one? ONE?!? :shock:

:-(

That's not possible!!!

You're a crazy person, clearly.

6. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Marooned remains my favourite episode. Superbly written and wonderfully timed

7. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Gunmen if I had to choose. My personal favourite is White Hole. A brilliant Holly, plenty of action. Planet potting and Kryten lets Rimmer have it right at the death!

8. mrflibblesboss

mrflibblesboss Third Technician

i cant even bring myself to write one, everytime i think iv got a favourate, i suddenly remember another! there all to good, ITS A CURSE! :lol:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's definitely Back to Reality for me.

I must have seen that episode more than twenty times, and it gets better with each new viewing.

10. dgoods

dgoods Third Technician

It has to be stasis leak,it has a brilliant idea and a great performance from Chris Barrie.

11. connell

connell First Technician

I'd have to agree with you there, it is hard to choose out of all 8 series though, as there was some drastic changes.

So just coz im awkward:

Series I-II: Stasis Leak
    Series III-V: Back To Reality
    Series VI-VII: Tikka To Ride
    Series VIII: Cassandra

And so to narrow it down, between... Stasis Leak and Cassandra

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'd have to say Stasis Leak too. It was just so cool seeing pre-accident Dwarf!

13. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

If I had to pick just one then Backwards!

14. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Back to Reality remains my favourite show but it's a real fans episode. To appreciate it fully, you have to have followed the boys through the journey they've made to get to that point. Also with it being the final episode of series V, it really did mess with your head. Were they really playing a video game for 5 years? Was this how it all ended?

BBC2 kind of spoilt that one when they showed that episode first when they repeated the series. :lol:
    If you don't know the history of the shows characters or if you know there's 3 more series to come, it loses the effect.

For someone that had never seen Dwarf who asked which would be the best show for them to watch, I'd point them towards 'Marooned' or 'Queeg'.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think Marooned and Queeg both require too much of a knowledge of the characters to serve as decent introduction episodes though. I would recommend Gunmen.

16. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

I don't think any prior knowledge is necessary for Marooned, it's just two guys stuck together talking about their past and bonding - with a twist.
    You could have made the characters Harold and Albert Steptoe and not had to vastly rewrite it.

17. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Just One, ONE favourite episode?! This is surely a form of torture...
    Okay then, it'll have to be "back to reality" because it is genius, fantasy' sci-fi, comedy and it shows off the talents and abilities of the whole red dwarf cast and crew. Technically and artisticaly superb.

18. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

best ever episode is a tricky one, but best stand alone piece, or one that could be performed without much back story, then definitely, as one previous Dwarfer wrote, 'Marooned'. In fact when there was talk of Red Dwarf Unplugged (or whatever it was going to be entitled) I imagined it would be 'Marooned' or one of those bits (without water) from 'Duct Soup' as they could be performed on stage without any technical issues (though I dunno about the bits where Lister is trying to keep the fire burning!)
    I think 'Back to Reality' or maybe 'Stasis Leak' captures the essence of Dwarf, then there's 'White Hole'...
    ...what if we just edit all 8 series together in one long continuous episode...does that count?

19. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Thanks for the Memory is the greatest episode ever (imo)

It really captures what RD is all about, fantastic story telling, great jokes, and I love the musical score on this episode. I think this ep is also the best representative of the Lister-Rimmer relationship.

20. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I really suffer trying to pick one, because it changes with which series I am in the mood for.

Right this moment, my favourite is Better Than Life, but yesterday it was Inquisitor, sometimes it's Polymorph, sometimes Gunmen.

:?