Best guest star in RED DWARF?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I thought with RDX approaching, and some possible new guest stars being involved in the show - I would ask the question:

Who, for you, has been the best/funniest/most convincing guest star in the shows history?
    I'm not including Kochanski/Mac/Holly - as they have been arguably in the show long enough to be considered minor/major characters as opposed guest stars.

For me, it would have to be Tony Hawks as Caligula in Meltdown (as I recall?) - he was slimy, camp with a brutal and sinister undertone, and his delivery, and physical comedy acting was superb. I think also Ackerman from VIII is VERY 'Hawks/Caligula' influenced...
    [​IMG]

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My favourites were, coincidentally, both members of the Absolutely comedy team: Jack Docherty (The Inquisitor) and Gordon Kennedy (Hudzen). Both were remarkably unlike their usual on-screen personas when playing their Red Dwarf characters (Would you ever have guessed that the guy in the Inquisitor costume was Jack Docherty?) and made unforgettable, show-stealing contributions to their respective episodes.

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I like the simulant in Beyond A Joke.

The best star who didn't make it, almost but not quite I understand, was Brian May playing the guitar for the false Lister in Psirens. His wife Anita Dobson starred in that episode.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was Phil Manzanera's hands playing Lister's guitar.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Tony is such a part of Dwarf that I've often thought there is the possibility for an episode to explain it. Like he's Dwarf's version of Q or something.

I remember that credit confusing me for years in the days before the internet.

6. Strat-tastic

Hey thanks Bluey. I'm not familiar with a lot of his work, parts of Roxy Music aside, maybe I should dig deeper... :-) I like instrumental works.

7. JCjunkstar

THAT would be an awesome idea! 8)

I also liked that snotty little military kid who got Arnie to sign his 'life and times of Rimmer' book (in Better than Life?) - but I liked him mainly as his snotty tone and sycophantic manner made me want to slap him in the face repeatedly with a wet fish.

8. Strat-tastic

I think it a shame that they cut the bit showing Rimmer signing the book from the final episode (deleted scene on DVD); it's long, scribbly, pompous and totally Rimmer.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I like that outtake with him and Chris.

"Gosh, I'll be the envy of the academy."

"You certainly will, you little git."

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Has to be Clayton Mark as Elvis surely?

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I loved this guy:

[​IMG]

V had some truly excellent ones, actually. Horrocks and Warrington in Holoship (not to mention the guy playing Hercule Platini), Spall in BTR, Docherty, Steed... loads!

Dennis Lil was another favourite, too.

12. JCjunkstar

Yes, he reminded me of an evil Timothy Dalton!
    "Let the law handle this... - Bullet, Cybernautics"
    "That's traffic control...'

hahaha

13. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I'm assuming Simulant is simply talking nonsense there. Either that, or I'm going to be a bit peeved, to say the least.

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Too many to mention really, but I loved Lenny Von Dohlen (the dude in the pic Seb posted).

Also, Don Warrington was a favourite of mine too. A lovely piece of pomposity acting there, and wonderful reactions from the cast to the latter too. The way Cat;s face drops when he gets insulted by him is classic. And Lister's whole scene is most entertaining too :-)

Oh and the Timothy Spall's character was quite funny too. Even though he did seem to be playing to the audience a bit too much..

I sure hope so. I'm fairly certain (but don't know for sure) that actor simulant mentioned wont be making an appearance though. Not that I don't think he could possibly work in another minor character roll though.

15. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Real or not, it was deemed unacceptable there as the post has now been removed. No spoilers are the rules, and that includes no (hopefully) false spoilers either it seems, outside of the RDX conference.

I've editted your post in the quote to remove the name, just in case.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I've just editted that actor's name out of my post too. Purely out of concern that it may perpetuate false rumours across the web.

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

WHERE'S MY POST GONE!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Seb deleted it as you posted either spoilers, or false spoilers. Please consult the spoiler policy contained in the conference relating to the post-series VIII era.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's been deleted because you said something you shouldn't.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

When can we expect his other 1106 posts to vanish? :lol: