Best Series Opener

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by AJ Smegface, Sep 23, 2016.

1. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Well, after yesterday's "official" premiere of Red Dwarf XI, it got me thinking about what Red Dwarf episode best kicked off a new series. With me, Twentica was all right but I didn't feel it was a really strong series opener (that said, it's not dampened my spirits for the rest of the series by any means!). Personally, I much preferred Trojan to Twentica (maybe because it followed BTE, but I thought Trojan was hilarious; it got me excited for the rest of RDX and I thought Howard Rimmer was brilliant).

That said, Trojan isn't my favourite series opener. For me, it has to be Backwards. I thought the episode was a great start to a whole new series: an exciting new intro, "new" characters in Kryten and Hattie's Holly, new costumes... it was just a lot more ambitious all-round. I do love series III a lot though, but Backwards was a great sign of things to come.

So, that's me out of the way. What's your favourite opening episode to a series?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Presuming I continue to love it as much as I did on my first two viewings, it's Twentica.

3. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I think Holoship is my favourite opener out of the lot. In fact Holoship is one great episode - brilliant concept, borderline over-cheese and forced moments to advance the plot but the flaws were over outweighed by the sheer comedy of it all.

4. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Every Series (barring BTE) started off strongly. Even Series X, Series VII, and Series VIII which weren't great series' overall, kicked off with great episodes. "Tikka To Ride" in particular, being one of the all time great Dwarf episodes. Picking a favourite is really tough, but I think I'd go with "Kryten". Unlike some other fans, I like David Ross' Kryten. But the things that really make this episode my favourite opener is the skeleton reveal scene, and Holly's "dog milk" gag, both scenes that are just legendary. I nearly went for "The End", just due to how iconic it is, but "Kryten" just edges it for me. As much as Robert Llewellyn made the part so much his own later on, that episode is truly one of the shining moments in the Dwarf canon. :-)

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I like the end. Purely from a personal point of view. The first series I saw, was series 2 when it was first aired but only from the second episode (heard at school how good kryren was). After how much I enjoyed the series, it was my mission to see how it all started, so I went out and bought the series 1 VHS (I'm sure there were only the first 3 episodes on it) fantastic! Everybody's dead Dave

6. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

This is a tricky one for me.

It's one of those times where someone tries to get you to pick your favourite song or favourite film. How can you only have one favourite?

1. The End
    2. Kryten
    3. Backwards
    4. Camille
    5. Holoship
    6. Psirens
    7. Tikka to Ride
    8. Back in the Red (Part 1)
    9. Back to Earth (Part 1)
    10. Trojan
    11. Twentica

I had to write that out to help me decide :lol:

You know, I think I have to go with Tikka to Ride. For a lot of us, until that point, it had been the longest amount of time we'd been without Red Dwarf, so we were glad to have it back, even if we were apprehensive about the break up of Grant Naylor and some of the new approaches taken.

To enjoy the episode the most, you have to pretend the extended cut doesn't exist. I'm not a fan of the episode beyond what was broadcast when it originally aired - the episode ends with the crew beating the heck out of Lister.

It is probably one of the best episodes that Doug has written on his own, but also it's one of the darker stories, if you think about it. Assassinating yourself in the past for the greater good is about as dark as it can get. Oh, that and poor Eric :lol:

There's not a lot I don't like about this episode.

I do, however, have to give an honourable mention to Back in The Red, Part 1. There's a lot of things we don't like about series VIII but there's a few things this episode in particular got right. Holly's "rat arsed" joke. Most of the CGI effects and the Starbug explosion. Re-visiting the concept of positive viruses from Quarantine in series V. And bringing back the crew, to an extent, was nice to see. Especially as so many of the original actors from 1988 reprised their roles. It was also nice to see a classic Red Dwarf feel to the set design. This isn't necessarily in second place, but it is "up there" and worth mentioning.

Trying to think whether I can rank these in some sort of order but I'm struggling. I have to say that the Series XI opener is definitely up there, quite possibly in second place.

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Holoship, Series V all the way.

Superb episode, it was Red Dwarf's best Star Trek satirisation, it had a lot of heart, a lot of character development and has some fantastic lines. It set the tone brilliantly for Rimmer at his most sympathetic, screwed up and vulnerable, later explored in Inquisitor, Quarantine, Demons & Angels, Terrorform and Back To Reality. Thinking about it a major reason why Series V was so excellent was because they were all insightful and psychological, with Rimmer as the lynchpin. The more you knew about Rimmer the more you liked him, and he seemed to be losing some of his smeghead characteristics and even showing humility, bravery and compassion at points, and it all really starts with Holoship.

What a great way to bring in other human characters too - by having them all as holograms of dead people. Doesn't break the premise of the show at all unlike Back In The Red.