best series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrsmith, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

what is your faveroute series and why. i think mine would have to be series 5 because it has some of my faveroute episodes such as quarantine and back to reality. sereis 5 also includes the first of the 'space core directives' which is a great running joke through out series 5 and 6.:lol:

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Six. Great comedy, Rob and Doug's imagination at its best, well-acted, well-written. It was almost perfect.

Series five is a close second for exactly the same reasons.

3. connell

connell First Technician

Series 2 would have to be my favourite, it had all the best bits in it, and great storylines. I can't really sit through more than 4 episodes of Series 4 or 5 and in my mind, those two are the most unmemorable. Series 6 is a close second as my favourite because like Series 2 It delivered some of the Dwarfs finest moments... even if the Dwarf itself wasn't in it! :lol:

4. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

After recently seeing all again I must say 4 definitelly

5. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

6, it's laden with many good gags and story-lines, even if i don't like Rimmer's outfit and it lacks bunkroom scenes.

6. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

For me it's six, not sure why, really. It's probably the series I've watched most often and I could happily watch it again anytime. For me it was something of a peak before a trough, with regard to all the series'.

7. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

series 2 hands down

8. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

Well, to me it has to be series 6 as all the episodes were great! Who cannot remember Gunmen of the Apocalypse?? Or Emohawk - Polymorph II?? And of course, Rimmerworld!
    (Series 2 woud be second for Stasis Leak and Queeg)

9. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

Because of the way Dwarf evolved over the years, it's very difficult to pick my favourite series.
    I love the early bunk scenes and Normans performance as Holly but I also love the later ones aboard Starbug and all the running jokes. I'd have to say for me it's either II or III...

or IV or V...

or maybe VI.

10. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Cant pick one series as a favourite as they all have great moments and great episodes in them!

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Series 5 for me8) almost every episode is perfect, scratch that, they are all perfect.

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Series 3 gets my vote. Maybe it's just because that was the only series I had on VHS and so was the most watched one (until DVD of course), but I've always loved that series. It has six great episodes, some with great jokes and others with great performances and characterisation (Marooned remains possibly my favourite episode for this reason, although that changes frequently).

13. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Has to be series 5. Firstly because it was my first Red Dwarf dvd, up untill that point i'd only seen series 8 and a couple of repeats of series 1. Secondly I think it had some of my favourite episodes. The whole series was just really well written.

14. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

From the look of them, I'd have to say 1, or 2. Maybe even four or five. Or it could be six or seven. Heck, maybe even eight!

15. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Top five series for me :-)

1. series 5
    2. series 2
    3. series 3
    4. series 4
    5. series 6

Top Ten episodes for me :-)

1. Marooned
    2. Queeg
    3. The Inquisitor
    4. Quarantine
    5. Thanks For The Memory
    6. White Hole
    7. Stasis Leak
    8. Legion
    9. Justice
    10. Holoship

8)

16. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

It has to be 7; yeah right! lol

My first choice has to be series 2; the first series I saw (first time round). It has some of the greatest episodes, stasis leak and Thanks for the memory are 2 of my all time favoutite episodes.

My second favourite series is series 5. I couldn't put 1,3,4 and 6 in any kind of rank order as they all brimming with great episodes. Bottom of the heap though is definatly 7 and 8.

Is it possible to do real polls on here, i know other forum sites offer it. It would be cool to know which series comes top from peoples votes.

17. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

My favorites will always be the episodes with more depth to them, rather than those which are just (good) jokes strung together. Season two has always been my favorite, because it was the most real emotionally, and dealt with the characters' insecurities well and sympathetically.

Season one was always #2 for me, but in my current marathoning, season 7 has displaced it. It's like a very flawed brilliant jewel. The middle seasons may have more solid laughs (though not always) but didn't aim high like s7 did. S7 mattered, while the middle seasons often just had some good gags.

I'll have to really, really disagree about Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Emohawk. Those seem forced and tired to me.

18. cj1008

cj1008 Skutter

series 6 4 me

19. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

Need I say more?8)

20. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

It's very difficult to choose, because each series has a different quality to make it stand out. I think series 1 and 2 are discounted for me because, whilst I liked there being character development, it was still in its infancy and doesn't hold up as well, and the set and costumes look very dull to me. Series 7 and 8 are rather disjointed too, as well as being asbent of Rob Grant.

Series 3 and 4 contain some classic early Dwarf, but series 5 is where, I think, the show really reached its good point. Quarantine is easily great for some brilliant Rimmer madness, and Back to Reality stands out as a wonderful episode for both character development and good sci-fi.

However, series-wise, I vote for series 6, because it's the only one to have a proper story arc, namely finding Red Dwarf itself. Granted, we lose Holly, but the character became quite redundant with Kryten doing a lot of plot exposition, and the closeness of Starbug compared to the vastness of Red Dwarf re-instated the claustrophobic feel that captured the "trapped" nature that the show originally went for. The problems with the series, however, can't be ignored - more repeats of Space Corps Directives, Cat's "deader than..." jokes and less character development in favour of more sci-fi. But then I like sci-fi, so I didn't mind too much after having delved into the characters' past for 5 series already. And the repetitive nature made it appealing to me. Admittedly, too, it was nice to see Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibbley in the same episode, even if it was shoehorning both in to satisfy fans. And that ending is truly epic.

I have to say, though, while every fan can imagine a perfect episode, I still imagine a perfect series of six episodes. I'd probably have one episode dedicated to each main character, albeit with sci-fi being an integral part. Yes, not original, or detailed, but if anyone wants to write a Red Dwarf IX or X with me, I'd only be glad to oblige. I have some good ideas for a Holly episode, and a good first one and last one too! :eek:ops: