best series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrsmith, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ironduke

ironduke Skutter

Tough question. However unlike Glenn above, I didn't see "a proper story arc" as totally a good thing. On the comedy side of things, one reason that the Young Ones worked as a sitcom I think was the hopelessness of their existence (relatively). On the Young Ones, there were 4 blokes stuck in a house having to live with each other and with little purpose in their life. (Aside from occasional character obviously).

Red Dwarf was similar to this up until series VI where as you say Glenn the characters suddenly had a purpose in their life (finding the ship). RD lost something for me at this point and tbh I haven't seen VII and VIII I think.

My top 3 in this order would be IV, V, and II. Which probably means that I like the sci-fi more than I'm admitting. I enjoyed BTE anyway.

2. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

I see what you mean, but The Young Ones isn't really comparable, since it was much more anarchic and went off into surrealism all the time. However, the story arc feel can still be used to make a good series, but the whole "monster of the week" did seem a bit grating for series VI. Then again, perhaps I like that for being different from previous series.

Hence why I would have a story arc, plus character development and only one or two monsters to contend with.

3. zeppelink

zeppelink Skutter

It's a tough one. In my opinion what is certain is that Red Dwarf ended for me at the end of series 6. I thought that was a fantastic way to end the franchise with the idea that in a way, they were in a hopeless situation where they inevitabely would end up destroying themselves. Or did they? One of the great things about Red Dwarf is things can be open to interpretation which is what was severely lacking in the last 2 series. What a waste of time. To see all of Listers fantasises come true destroyed the hopelessness that encapsulated the original 6 series. So to get back to the subject of the best series I would say this.

I'm a huge fan of 4-6, a great balance of sci-fi and humour in all of them. In a way I see them as one long series in themselves due to the format being different to the previous 3. On balance though 5 is my favourite as it is the darkest and I'm a fan of that!
    The inquisitor, Dr Langstrum and the low ship dwarfers are probably the scariest characters they encountered (not to say that the psirens and the emohawk weren't scary too) but overall it has to be 5 for me, at least right now. I just with the inquisitor could erase the last 2 series from existence.

4. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

1,4,5 and 6

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

For me overall its series 5 but series 6 is very close behind.

6. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I concur. Swap Demons and Angels for Gunmen and 5 would be perfection.

7. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

series one for me

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Series two

9. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Series five and six.

10. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

11. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

It has to be series 1 and 2 for me. I just like them better and that classic look and feel about them.

12. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Series 6 for me! Just has the best episodes, moments and lines in my opinion. I love everything though, and doubly love everything from three through to seven.

13. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    For me (as if I haven't stated this enough!) it's gotta be Series V. It's the perfect balance between brilliant comedy and dark dramatic atmosphere.

Series II comes in second (naturally).

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Favorite has to be series one. The plot/character development was so entirely different than other shows that were out there; it entirely stole my attention. The awkwardness between the characters was excellent and the original sets and costumes were always my favorites. Perhaps this is where my sarcastic nature fades out and a completely sentimental Mrs. Yeckel rears its gushy head.

“Arnold Rimmer: Technician 2nd Class. Captain's remarks: There's a saying amongst the officers, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it's not worth doing, give it to Rimmer“"

15. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

Has to be three for me, if nothing else but for the episodes Marooned and Polymorph. I loved the interplay between Lister and Rimmer in Marooned, and IMHO Polymorph is Doug and Rob at their funniest.

16. matty9896

matty9896 Third Technician

In rank order;

Series III
    Series VIII
    Series II
    Series VI
    Series VII
    Series I
    Series IV
    Series V

some may disagree with me putting series IV & V at the bottom of the pile, but they are both too dark and dingy for my liking. I prefer the era of the bunkroom scenes and Norman Lovett. Series III has the best episodes for me!

17. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

While all RD series are awesome... Series VIII, for me is defo below par... and Series I was where it all began!!!

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

We've got another spammer on the board I see.

Are these real people who have signed up, or are the accounts somehow created automatically?

19. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

i recon different series for different moods and times in your life

series 3-6 very creative in camera work, plot lines, sci-fi and comedy

series 8 a bit of an improvement on series 7 (couldn't stand jane austin world or that mayonnaise stand off!!) with the psychiatric interview with kryten and rimmers sexual magnetism stint

20. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They're real people.