Best/worst DVD features ....

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant the Dragon, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

So there has been, I think, thirteen dvd documentaries across 11 DVDs...

Series 1 - 10 and Bodysnatcher. I've watched some of them recently and found some of the editing on the early ones quite bad! I hate jump cuts. But the later ones were a lot better - series 7 being my favourite.

So why not rank the top five best red dwarf dvd docs and the best/worst features on the DVDs. These include the frankly appalling Ace Rimmmer: a life in lame, the dreadful Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg and the awesome Mike Tucker model videos.

Discuss.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't be bothered doing a top 5. I'll just say that my favourite is the excellent Dwarfing USA documentary. And I'll give mentions to the Return to Laredo doc with Robert Llewellyn and the one telling the story of the remastering project.

3. Ant the Dragon

A top three then...

What are the worst ones? Surely it is Ace Rimmer: a life in lame. Haven't laughed that little since watching Miranda.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I'd probably agree with that. I only watched it once, but I recall that it wasn't very good.

5. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Best: All the making of documentaries. Brilliant.

Worst: The Eight episodes included on the series 8 DVD.

6. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I really enjoyed Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg. I thought Craig in particular did a fantastic job ad-libbing as Lister. "We had a bit of trouble planting the trees," had me roaring.

7. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I loved the series 6 making of documentary personally. As well as Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Best: I love all the main dvd documentaries, but agree that they get better towards the end of the run. And I'd say the Series 1 and 2 docus on Bodysnatchers, and the more recent 'We're Smegged' are among the best. I also like Can't Smeg, Wont Smeg, Return to Laredo, Re-Dwarf and Dwarfing USA. And I'm a big fan of the commentaries too. Among various other awesome extras I'm probably temporarily forgetting. I still think the RD DVDs are among the best out there.

Worst: Ace Rimmer - A life in Lame and the mobisode.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Can't Smeg, Wont Smeg seems popular. I can't say it's one of my favourites, but it's all good fun. It's just a shame that Universe Challenge (also from Red Dwarf Night) isn't on there.

10. Ant the Dragon

Was Ace Rimmer: a life in lame an Andrew Ellard special?

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He wrote it I believe. He may have directed it too.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...that is funny...hahahahahahahahahahaha

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I wouldn't go that far. It isn't great, but I still found it entertaining.

14. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

To each their own. I thought it was quite funny, and I like a bit of improvised comedy.

15. simulant37

I don't think it was improvised...:roll:

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I agree, I enjoyed it too and that's with the extra benefit of enjoying the original Can't Cook Wont Cook that it was based off. I was either out of the country or working lates for the original screening of the tenth anniversary Red Dwarf night, but I did have it recorded on VHS for quite some time and I thought the majority of it was great. Still don't understand why Gunmen is considered so great though... Oh well...

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm pretty sure it was a mixture of both scripted and improvised performances.

18. simulant37

OK...still rubbish...:roll:

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

As TVs shows go the Red Dwarf DVDs are really chock full of great stuff.

There are so many series that have no specials whatsoever (Dirk Gently) or very few (Sherlock) that makes buying them on physical media a bit of waste. If all I wanted was to watch the show I have lots of VoD options.

ON the RD DVDs: I really like that everything is subtitled because I often have to watch after the kids are in bed and having the volume down low I can still follow along better.

I also find the menus well done and easy-to-use. Some of the latest Blu-Ray menus of other movies are downright annoying and hard to use (Firefly).

In my mind the "Bodysnatcher" DVD set really includes things that should have been on the original DVDs for Series 1-3. It is pretty clear that the BBC didn't think the series would sell otherwise they would have put touches on them that the later series had, such as leaflets inside, color labels on the discs themselves etc.

I think each series though more or less covers how things were at the time and to be honest, when you figure how old Series 1 is it is fair to imagine some people simply couldn't remember what it was like!

I think all the features are well done and wish other series would take note and work to this level of quality.

20. simulant37

I agree with what you say my new friend...please contact me...