Blade Runner and BTE

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I've just read the Blade runner and BTE references in the news section, now i did get the connection to each scene when I first watched BTE and I did see Blade runner years before and have re watched it since BTE. My question to everyone is what do you think of Blade Runner.

I have and always will think of it as a pretty crap film, a film I only revisited only after BTE in case I had misjudged it when originally watched., which the evidence of seeing it again confimed to me it was crap.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've attempted to watch Blade Runner twice, many years before Back To Earth appeared. Both times I found it too slow and boring to hold my interest and switched off part of the way through. Back in May I did state that next time it was on TV I'd make an effort to watch it to see all the parts that Back To Earth referenced. However it did air some time back and I still couldn't muster enough enthusiasm to give it another go. If I loved Back To Earth like I love Back To Reality I'd probably be more determined to give it another try.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

When I first saw it, it did drag for me... and I found the dark drab lighting depressing. However, I found there solution to the sequence with Roy Batty and Deckard very affecting, and it retroactively changed my view of the film.

Now it's one of my favourite films. And the earlier stuff that affected me negatively I actually enjoy now!

Oh, excellent article by the way! I got most of the references when I saw them, but seeing them all listed and expanded on is most welcome.

4. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Despite havingbought a copy of Blade Runner last month especially to see these references and understand what the smeg everyone was talking about, I still haven't watched the film. I'll just have to bite the bullet I think. How bad can it be?

5. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Blade Runner is one of those films that everyone raves about but it doesn't really deserve the praise. It's a very boring film, and actually rather pretentious. The characters are dull as hell and Harrison Ford's performance is "phoned in".

To the film's credit, it is incredible in terms of imagination and technical achievement. It looks light years ahead of 1982. The set design, the costumes, the vehicles, everything is beautiful. How they managed to do it on a small budget, with the constant pressures from the powers-that-were, is beyond me.

But having said all that, it's still an unsatisfying and boring film. It should have been 20 minutes long - it could have been a masterpiece then.

PS. Does anyone else think it is actually better with the much-derided voiceover?

6. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

Blade Runner is a masterpiece. Your opinions are all baffling to me.

7. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I've never seen Blade Runner, and if other people are saying its boring, then Im sure I'd find it boring too. I have a shockingly short attention span when it comes to films.

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I can understand people saying it's boring. I've heard fans of the Alien franchise say that the first movie was too slow moving. It's a matter of what your background as a movie fan is, I suppose. Many modern movies aim to grab you and throw you into the action straight away. Others rely on scene setting. Blade Runner is masterful as far as I'm concerned, but while watching it and appreciating its exquisite nature, I may also be surfing the internet, just while nothing much is going on in the film. Some movies, I couldn't turn away from.

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Bladerunner is definitely a steady paced movie, but I still have it labelled as a masterpiece. I love the whole world that is created. I love the flawed characters. I love the haunting futuristic Vangelis soundtrack. I love the story. It is one of the best movies ever made. Obviously not to everyone else's tastes though by the look of things.

10. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

There's a lot of good things about Bladerunner.

Bladerunner is a touch pretentious.

Bladerunner isn't a great film because it's a great film, it's a great film because it dealt with the subject matter of androids, that is to say realistic robots and the film did have an inteligence and it did treat each robot/android as individuals, so there was worth while characterisation.

Harrison Fords character certainly was meant to be boring & didn't he play it well :-p

Harrison Ford's "Bladerunner" is the bad guy & we are supposed to root for the robots/androids.

Really any and all of us should read "Do androids dream of electronic sheep" which I believe is the title of the book from which the idea for Bladerunner was taken.

Pace of the film... I enjoy a "heavy going psychological SciFi thriller", it's my favourite genre!

Aliens??? kinda dull as old dishwater! & poor Bill Murray having to pretend to find Weaver attractive in Ghostbusters? But seriously the first Aliens moovie is sufferable, but after that it went straight to cheap and wishy washy.

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Blade Runner's 'about something', that's beyond dispute. It's not like The Rock. (The Rock contains a question about the way America treats its military...but it really doesn't explore it so much as use it as a way to get the fun started. It's about entertaining you, and not much more. Which is no crime, but a distinction worth drawing.)

Whether Blade Runner's gentle, musing pace is suited to you, the viewer, is something else entirely. But it does feature a breathtakingly imagined future - no film after it affected the aesthetic of the genre so significantly until, I guess, The Matrix. SF movies walked in its amazing, neon-cast shadow, and it's still an unavoidable influence. (Check out the original, full opening to Avatar - that's a very Blade Runner view of Earth.)

I found the slow, understated rhythms tedious as a youngster - even the action feels measured and whispered - but as an adult I've grown to like it more and more. I find Harrison Ford's performance aloof and distancing - something which makes accessing any movie for enjoyment tough - but if you believe Scott's assertion about how he intended Deckard's nature the selection of those takes carries interesting weight.

That the film inspires debate - both about what characters are and want, and about the deeper themes - suggests, at very least, a amount of substance.

It's important not to confuse quality with taste in these things; and important not to let a film's reputation exaggerate your own position either way. Primer, say, is just as cool, slow and distancing - not to mention confusing - but you rarely hear drastic negative opinion about it because, even for those who have seen it, it's not like 'everyone' bangs on about its greatness. A negative opinion doesn't need to be retaliatory. (Any more than I need to argue its genius without acknowledging flaw.) You can know a movie has quality without dismissing it as 'bad' if it's not to your taste.

12. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Yeah, I really should say that I'm not a real life film critic... though I'd kinda like to think I am, but no I tried it and I wasn't that great... even though I appreciate a good film.

When I was growing up I had a robot toy, it had the chest that opens and 3 laser blasters start shooting as the robot walks across the floor!

My next encounter with robots may have been Tommorows world and these robots were small half domes with wheels that could draw lines on some paper on the floor! Or even worse, just an arm that could paint a car.

I wanted stories about robots and so Bladerunner helped to satisfy that need and the film is for me somewhat like having a discussion with a friend about what the future might be like, about what robots in the future might be like & so I found it a very satisfying film.