blu ray release

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ben996, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ben996

ben996 First Technician

sorry if this has been discussed before but the show should be released on blu ray, fit everything onto one disc, more extras, better audio and great quality, and maybe a new edition of back to earth since the blu ray is pretty poor.

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Very few things of SD quality - if any - have been released on Blu. Nor do Blu-ray sales suggest a market that would be able to finance additional bonus material. I doubt people would re-buy just to get the same episodes on fewer discs. Not sure the reviews and response to the BTE Blu back up the disc being "poor", either.

For more info, check this old thread. Anything is possible, but Blu is already being usurped by download - not for Dwarf, but just generally. I wouldn't hold your breath.

3. ben996

ben996 First Technician

cheers pal

4. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Are you talking about just Back to Earth or films in general?
    If in general, where do you get your stats?
    I am just curious...

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I meant in general. But with an awareness of TV in particular.

I just try to keep up with the state of the business as data shows up in news coverage and analysis. So "the internet".

6. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

If it's on the Internet it must be true!

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If I don't provide people with a series of links it must be a lie!

8. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Paramount and Lucas would disagree with you... how many times have people 're-bought' the original Star Trek series, the movies, and the two Star Wars trilogies? It's getting to the point that I wish people would STOP re-buying them, since it only encourages people like Lucas to keep messing with the original material.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Using Star Wars and Star Trek to suggest how British TV shows would fare in the Blu-ray market is like saying you can estimate how well an East 17 tour would do based on the interest in a Beatles reunion.

10. cubehead

cubehead Skutter

I apologize for bumping such an old topic, but this was like the 2nd or 3rd search result in google.
    There is apparently a Blu-ray release for red Dwarf coming. I found another topic about it here http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=278867 but unfortunately (on page 6) it was mentioned they have been postponed for a year.

Growing up watching this series I always felt it was so unjust not to have an outstanding copy of the show. I've read a lot of negative comments that it might be just a lousy, bare minimum upscale, but I hope that will not be the case. This show deserves an excellent release and I hope somehow, someway they powers that be will put some effort into it

11. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Remaster series 4. It looks appalling.

12. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

If the show was recorded on video tape and not 35mm film (as I believe it was) then there's not much that can be done to improve the picture quality. The model shots may have been on 35mm film so they might end up looking much more detailed (and then you might end up seeing the wires!) but that's about it. A remaster for RD isn't suddenly going to deliver some amazing picture the likes of which we have never seen, no matter how much we'd love to see it.

13. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I think you are correct and it is on VT rather 35mm film so no real improvement can be made but the point for me is that it doesn't need to be and if it is on BR in its original quality then I could have the entire RD collection on maybe a couple of disks instead of something like 30 DVD's . This is what I would like to see instead of the Blu ray realease that is going to be 1 series each.

14. Ant the Dragon

The model shots on 4 are dreadful! Reshoot them!

15. adamclark83

adamclark83 Third Technician

Roughly how long after Series XI has finished airing will the Blu-ray be released?

16. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I would expect before Christmas, but Australian release could be longer.

17. adamclark83

I'm planning on getting the UK version when it comes out.

18. adamclark83

For the upcoming Blu-rays of 1-5, I have a couple of requests to make them great:

1. Include the DVD's Booklets
    2. All the extras
    3. Maybe include remastered versions.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I don't like blu ray and will stick with my dvds.

20. Ant the Dragon

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I hope more people contribute to this thread as I would be really interested to learn more about it. :P