Blu ray

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by carsher, Apr 26, 2009.

1. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I think a big point missing here is copy protection. I think this affects future development of any format, and downloads through a locked system is the only way to go, or the best available. Steam, the gamers download bible has got it covered already. Buy the game through their system, download it, and then play it, without a disk! No chance of coping.

It's a balance between available technology, and consumer driven advertising. Not news I know!

I have a massive DVD collection, and it would be financially inept to try and change them all for Blu-ray, but I must admit that I am buying some of my favourites in the new format, just for the quality and sound.

Blu-ray is not a replacement for DVD, but it's storage size and quality make it a well worth partner.

2. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    And your not advertising here? I like Promoting ps3 for the simple fact its a fantastic machine, Far better than the xbox.

As for downloading music. Ive very rarely downloaded anything unless its to old to get in shops. I still Prefer buying the albums and I hate to say it so do all of my m8s. Case in point eminem's new album and prodigy's new album. Also were still in the time where millions of people like me still do not understand computers, Downloading music is straight forward but downloading video files is still complicated as there are multiple formats, I can barely get a video file to play on my pc (and its a mid ranged two year old pc) without needing to download some new video code, which then when I attempt it my antivirus software wont let me then my internet disconnects, or my computer crashes, then eventually I get the lastets video code to find the format is not compatible with my media player/dvd player, and I have to download something else. I'm no good with computers, and so is probably 60% of the population and as long as that percentage remains the same, I cant see people not buying the dvd or bluray format.

3. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

So, I just popped back to see if there's been any answer to the BTE on Blu-Ray question. Hmm, it seems there still isn't any definite answer. It looks like it's getting close to the time I realise that this is just wishful thinking and, buy the DVD. :-(

Re the more general Blu-Ray debate:
    I got a big telly, a PS3 and Sky+HD over the last year or so. I'm not replacing all my DVDs with Blu-Rays, just the ones that would benefit. Also, any new stuff I buy, I look for the Blu-Ray version first. In keeping with my login name and RD BTE, I have to say that the Blu-Ray version of Blade Runner (the final cut) is f*****g outstanding! :-)

Another more technical point is concerning frame rates. I assume the RD specials were shot at 25fps. Would a potential Blu-Ray release have to conform to the more usual US standard and be slowed down to 24fps or even 23.97fps? I think this is what happened to the UK Life on Mars.

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

But surely, technically, isn't that 'every movie shot on film and properly transferred'?

I saw a post on a forum somewhere recently where some asked what the point was of releasing Trainspotting on Bluray since it wouldn't benefit...followed by some people agreeing and saying there was no point releasing old/silent movies that way, either. But if it was shot on film, more definition is always going to be a step up. (Until you get to around 4K, anyway.) TV releases I get - though there'd be fewer artifacting issues, still - but films? And film-shot (and cut) TV shows? Surely it's always an improvement?

So you're asking about the technical issues of a disc that doesn't exist? Or have we crossed dimensions?

Okay then, let's say: no. :-)

5. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

OK, I mean the ones I reckon pass the test (based on my own personal, arbitrary, secret and continually changing rules) :-)
    (Obviously, RD passes with flying colours)

Yes, of course you're right, always an improvement. Although, some people have said 16mm film is borderline - The BBC won't transmit 16mm material as HD.

I was bored and I didn't think anyone would bother reading this far down the post :-)

Hey! I got an answer! :-D
    ...hang on... not quite the answer I was looking for.:crying: Oh well. Next stop Amazon, I suppose.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Just to be clear, that wasn't a real answer!

7. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

Oh right, thanks for that. My tea must have been laced with despair squid ink. :-)

Amazon don't have my pre-order yet. I'll carry on waiting...

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

The Bluray disc doesn't exist, so the answer I gave was a 'joke' about that fact. Because how could I give an answer to a technical query for a thing that's currently fictional?

9. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

I'm starting to think my question about frame rates on imaginary discs was, perhaps, possibly, a mistake :-)

I just got confused and thought you were referring to the main topic of the future existence of the Blu-ray.

The coolness of my login name is being made more and more ironic by my continued posting:roll::-)

10. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

You can theoretically find out about the practical uses of this optical disc:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray

11. plagiarize

plagiarize Third Technician

just speaking personally, sure... but not all films are visual. i mean, i'd consider Trainspotting a very visual movie and would definately think about picking it up on blu-ray, but something like 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' say... it isn't going to be any funnier in HD.

action movies can be more exciting in HD. horror movies can be scarier in HD... but a comedy or drama that wasn't shot with any visual flair isn't going to benefit much at all for having slightly clearer pictures of the actors and the sets. it doesn't make them more dramatic or funnier.

only some episodes of Red Dwarf would theoretically benefit (Marooned, one of my favourites, would gain NOTHING)... but Back to Earth undoubtedly will. maybe it's just the Blade Runner influence (which incidentally looks unbelievably stunning on Blu-Ray) or maybe it's just that for the first time Red Dwarf looked like a lonely and empty place. i'm getting the DVDs, but yeah, i'll be double dipping.

12. davidrussell

davidrussell Skutter

For the OP, RD in Blu-ray has been announced: http://twitter.com/RedDwarfTV/status/2489489756

13. AlexAtkin

AlexAtkin Skutter

But there is no information on if the Blu-ray will be released in the UK.

As for frame rate, looks like it was shot at 24fps (makes sense if RED are 4K cameras intended for shooting movie grade material) as the US release at least is showing as 1080p. I would hope the UK release will be the same as I was always a little disappointed that St Trinians was 50i instead of 60p, just not quite as sharp a picture as it could have been.

14. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

play.com estimates 31st aug realse

15. Demon_Scutter

Demon_Scutter Third Technician

Well it's been confirmed, looks like I'm double-dipping.

16. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Even though I have the DVD I may also buy the bluray for a couple reasons

1. I hear it really is better
    2. It would be my first bluray, (and where better to start a bluray collection)
    3. It will help sales for more Dwarf
    4. It will look good on the self with the rest of my DVDs

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Not sure it counts as double-dipping if it's a different format. You wouldn't say a DVD was a double-dip of the VHS, or the CD was a double-dip of the vinyl.

Ah well - regardless it's going to be nice to see the show in HD. (And the docs, which we filmed in hi-def and which look significantly more gorgeous that way!)

18. Deckard

Deckard Skutter

So, it looks like I'm going to make myself a liar and get the Blu-ray, after already getting the DVD.

Now, let's see what frame rate it is :-)

19. chimera7000

chimera7000 Skutter

I can't wait for the BD to be realeased - I only wish it'd been done at the same time as the DVD but hey-ho! :-D

BUT - can anyone confirm whether it's going to have HD audio to go with the HD video? :?: I'm not going to upgrade if it's only going to have the same Dolby Digital track the DVD has! :shock:

20. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It'll be the same 5.1 as the DVD.