Blu ray

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by carsher, Apr 26, 2009.

1. chimera7000

chimera7000 Skutter

But what's the point of having the same audio as a DVD? With all that space available on the disc there's more than enough room for a lossless track, probably even LPCM. A BD with lossy audio is a wasted opportunity. A great looking 1080p picture isn't the be-all and end-all of High Definition. If it's only going to have Dolby Digital I might as well upscale the DVD.....

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I'll double-check, but I can't imagine there was a bucket of cash suddenly available to make your dream come true.

It's a TV show, not Iron Man.

3. Demon_Scutter

Demon_Scutter Third Technician

That's my Quote of the day

4. chimera7000

chimera7000 Skutter

Isn't the sound uncompressed to begin with and then compressed into either Dolby or DTS to fit on the DVD? Wouldn't that mean the original soundtrack could be used on the BD? No compression needed and no more money need be spent! :-D

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I'm not sure you understand how post-production functions and is funded. But, as I say, I'll ask the question.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Chimera, I'm about to make you a very happy bunny. It seems that they have indeed gone back to the source for the audio, with DTS HD 5.1 on the Blu-ray version of the Director's Cut.

You may now issue a small cheer and continue with your day. :-)

7. chimera7000

chimera7000 Skutter

LOL! Does it show? :lol:

Aye, you're quite right Andrew, I've no idea how post-production works :!:

You have indeed made me a happy bunny tho. I think this calls for a celebration. Where's that urine re-cyc......:-D

8. plagiarize

plagiarize Third Technician

now we just need to clear up if the main feature is 1080p or 1080i.

i would hazard a guess that the main feature is 1080p and the extras 1080i as the likely reason for any confusion. the back of the box doesn't help by being unspecific.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Typo in the previous UK story. We'll get it fixed.

All the HD content is 1080i, as per the box on the back of the cover art.

10. chimera7000

chimera7000 Skutter

Ahem, might one enquire as to why the main feature is only in 1080i.......:-( Surely the show was recorded at a high enough resolution to get a 1080p picture from it? As you correctly guessed last time, I know hardly anything about how post-production works, but you've already chosen HD audio so why skimp out on the picture? :?:

11. plagiarize

thanks for the quick reply Andrew. seems to be fairly common for British TV shows to be 1080i when released on blu-ray. not a big deal for me though as my 1080p tv does a great job with 1080i, but still good to know. i'm definately happier about the majority of the special features being in HD than I may be disapointed in the main feature 'only' being 1080i.

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's still 1080 - it's not resolution but frame rate/format that marks the difference between progressive and interlaced.

I've not been involved with the Blu-ray, but it is apparently the 2entertain standard to release HD content interlaced. I'd imagine that there are logistical reasons for it.

As to the original source, I believe you can't go over 30fps when shooting on Red One 4K anyway. But really, it's not my area.

13. plagiarize

yeah, just to clear up the 1080i vs 1080p thing for anyone that doesn't understand the difference when it comes to blu-ray we are almost exclusively dealing with either 1080p24, 1080i/60 or 1080i50. the '1080' bit refers to the resolution, which in full is 1920 x 1080. unless you have a really old analogue set, your set will be 1080p or 720p. the p or i refers to whether or not each frame contains a complete picture. when it's 'p' it means that each frame is 1920 x 1080 and a complete image, like a frame of film. when it's 'i' it means that each frame only contains half the lines, alternating between all the odd lines and all the even lines. the number after the letter refers to how many frames per second there are.

now it follows that if you're taking half of the information but doing it at twice the speed that you'll actually capture all the same information.

in other words, 1080i50 or 1080i60 contain all the same information as 1080p24, it's just stored a bit differently. when dealing with 1080i this information has to be processed a bit more to identify which odd lines go with which even lines, but a decent tv set when given an appropriate 1080i signal, will internally convert it into a 1080p one anyway.

so why do 2 entertain tend to put out blu-rays in 1080i? i'd imagine it's something to do with PAL. see, PAL works at 50 Hz, which is basically to say it displays 50 frames a second. as such, most PAL content is shot at either 25 or 50 fps so that when you show it 50 Hz you have smooth motion. films which are shot at 24 fps are regularly therefore sped up to 25 fps. that means a two hour movie actually runs for one hour and fifty five minutes. again this slight speed increase is to maintain smooth motion on tv.

so basically, when back to reality was aired in the UK it was aired at 25 fps. if you put that show out at 1080p, you'd have to actually slow it down, since the only available framerate is 1080p24. if you put it out at 1080i50, no slowing down is required, and on a PAL tv you'll get smooth playback of the full frame image SO LONG as your tv is smart enough to recognize that it's being given all the odd lines from one frame, and then all the even lines from the same frame, and stitching them back together.

this wouldn't be an issue if you could encode a blu-ray movie at 1080p25, but you can't.

finally a heads up here, while the technical details of my post are accurate, anything inferring 2 entertain's motives for releasing in 1080i or anything to do with the framerates used in production or broadcast are speculation on my part.

to sum it all up, unless your TV is bad at deinterlacing, it should display a 1080p image from a 1080i source when the original video was shot at 24, 25 or 30 fps.

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

*applauds*
    :-D

15. plagiarize

Region free you say? Wonderful! Just ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk

loved the bit about 'make sure you use an HDMI cable with your Playstation 3'. so many people don't do that.

16. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I was with you all the way up to yeah:lol:

17. Merc2k

Merc2k Skutter

So, it should work fine on a North American TV and PS3, right? Will that include all the extras as well? I've heard of some blu-ray features working fine on North American players, but not the extras on the disc because of the differing NTSC and PAL formats.

I jumped in and preordered as soon as I saw it was region free, but I may have to cancel and wait for it on amazon.ca if the extras won't work on my PS3/TV.

18. Cpkirk

Cpkirk Skutter

It should work fine. It's a region free disc so it should work fine all around the world.

19. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Got my email from Play last night telling me my bluray had been posted. It's just like the DVD release all over again:-D

20. Merc2k

Merc2k Skutter

I guess my concern is the non-HD extras listed. Those would be in PAL format right? If so, they probably wouldn't play on my TV.

EDIT: Well, it looks like my order is readying for dispatch and can't be cancelled. I guess I can let everyone else who is wondering this how it works out for me :-)