bring back the audience/canned laughter

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by phoenixbrighton, Apr 11, 2009.

1. phoenixbrighton

phoenixbrighton Skutter

In the words of the cast themselves "we perform better in front of an audience". Please can someone tell the powers that be to bring back a live audience? Why? Because it removes some of the awful silences. The writing is brilliant (ok Craig needs to lose some weight) but the silences after the jokes are killing it. Its like a high brow comedy piece at the moment with silences following killer jokes. If RD is to survive we have to get rid of the silences, bring back the live laughter.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE RD but the bottom line is the silences are really harming the experience. If you took your favourite comedian, had him/her perform a gig in front of 100s of people and they sat in silence are you telling me that would be the same experience as if they roared with laughter? Dont you think he/she would perform better to? With even more energy feeding off the crowd?

The cast themselves have said we perform better in front of an audience. ALL the best RD episodes were in front of a live audience. Please can someone tell the powers that be? Heres what Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) has to say:

http://www.llewtube.com/wp/?page_id=2

Bring back the live laughs please guys!

Am I the only one?

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Like I've said in another thread personally I didn't mind the lack of laughter canned or otherwise.
    Considering the more filmic approach they took in making BTE in a weird way I think laughter would've been out of place.
    That's not something I Imagined I'd be saying before watching.
    In my opinion a track of laughter from a Live audience/Or Canned laughter doesn't make or break the show and new RD has proved that.
    The comedy is stiil going to make you laugh with or without it.
    I'll admit before the show aired I didn't know how I was going to feel about it due to never seeing it without one, now I know it doesn't matter so much to me...

3. phoenixbrighton

phoenixbrighton Skutter

I revised my original post to exclude canned laughter (your right about canned laughter) BUT your wrong about live laughter. In fairness to you, I've amended the original post substantially since you posted your reply! Even the cast state they [a] perform better in front of a crowd all the best episodes (or a majority of them) were in front of a crowd [c] the new BTE experience would be improved not degraded by live laughter as the silences would be removed. I passionately feel the hardcore RD fans would love RD come what may, but I really sincerely believe the silences due to a lack of LIVE laughter are harming the experience (I've felt this ever since they stopped performing it in front of a live audience). And the cast agree. If you read Rob L's (Kryten) post (see original post for the link) you'll see he also agrees.

I love red dwarf so much and I want it to go on and on :-) but I passionately feel the lack of live laughter is seriously harming the experience for potential new and non-hardcore fans. If we want RD to go on we need to appeal to the majority not the minority. I just feel this is an easy fix.

What do I know - I'm sitting too close to the router (pumping out wi-fi!)

Well done to the whole RD team and thank you for making me and many millions laugh.

4. joctopussy

joctopussy Skutter

I watched the first episode and thought something was missing but couldnt quite put my finger on it, it wasn't till half way through the programme I realised the laughter for all the gags wasn't there from the audience. You dont have a comedian perform without an audiance, neither do you red dwarf, it just finishes it off perfectly. Love the programme so so much, always have xx:-D

5. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

I don`t need canned laughter or audience laughter. To me, is just perfect, cos, I did actually laughed all the second episode! ;-)

Sorry.

stevie:-)

6. marvinyard

marvinyard Skutter

OMG... if it aint broke dont fix it!!!!! it needs the laughter. i totaly agree with the awkward silences after the FANTASTIC gags. people come on.. red dwarf only works with the laughter live or canned. the fact that people still liked back to earth without laughter is just because they liked red dwarf anyway. for me i also LOVE RED DWARF, but it makes me so upset to say i didnt like back to earth as much without laughter. HOW CAN THE MAKERS HAVE MABE SUCH A BASIC MISTAKE??
    All i can say is..YO GRANT!! YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT RID OF THE REVISION TIMETABLE AND FOCUSD ON THE STUDIO LAUGHTER..THATS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS MATE.

smoke me a kipper skipper

marvin

7. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

I know a few people who had never seen Red Dwarf before but watched 'Back To Earth' and thought it was good.

8. thepoisoneye

thepoisoneye Second Technician

I think audience laughter gives a tempo to the comical mechanics of RD.
    Without it, I felt disturbed, it sounds empty...

9. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Just so you know, Rob Grant didn't have anything to do with BTE. That one can be blamed on Doug Naylor.

10. Santar

Santar Skutter

If you need to be told when something's supposed to be funny, then perhaps Red Dwarfs type of humor really isn't for you.
    Personally I don't like audience laughter in my comedy, I'll decide when something's funny myself.

11. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I think your shift key is a little sticky.

12. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Skutter

I like the canned laughter too.

You can download Back to Earth with the laughter track. It also combines all three episodes into one. As long as you also bought the DVD, I don't think there's anything wrong with downloading this bootleg.

13. SoundableObject

I have seen a clip on You Tube with laugh track on and it was awful. The show felt more dramatic, while still funny, it moved away from the sitcom feel.

For a new series I more than welcome a return to the laughter but for BTE it felt so much better without it.

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

To me, it seems that adding the laughter back in would help some viewers (yes some are absolutely fine without). The science of laughter is amazing. Adding in live audience laughter helps some viewers feel like they can give themselves permission to lighten up and laugh at the scenes, and yes it also can give the actors something to pull from to keep their energy and momentum going. I am a fan of the live laughter but not so much of the obvious laugh tracks. To me this often makes the difference between feeling like an active participant and feeling as if a show trying to manipulate me into thinking the action is funny, when it is not. Not sure if my point of view makes sense to anybody else though...:? If using laugh tracks, please ensure they sound reasonably realistic or else it feels much worse than simple silence.

15. SoundableObject

If they are going to add laughter then they will make it real like they did with Series VII. That is certainly the preferable solution when they can't film infront of an audience. I do prefer the xtended version of Series VII though, without the laughter the only problem with it is the fact that it was made to have laughter so it sometimes has a pause which is usually masqued by the laughter obviously made for laughter.

Anyway, they have already made it clear that when Dwarf returns it will include studio laughter.

16. Santar

Santar Skutter

Do you have a link where it is officially stated that the laughter will be back for the new series?
    I don't remember that anything like that has ever been stated.

17. SoundableObject

18. Santar

Santar Skutter

Thanks for the link.
    Though it only says it'll "probably" have a studio audience. Not exactly confirmed.
    Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

19. SoundableObject

I'm pretty sure there was another interview in which one of the cast said that the studio audience would be back. I thought DJJ confirmed the studio returning in his recent SFX interview but he didn't mention it.

EDIT - I just found this post on IMDB by a guy who was at a convention in Wales which Danny and Chloe were at, I can confirm the studio laughter is back because i heard somebody ask Chloe and she agreed she found the lack of it in BTE off putting at times and that it would almost definitely be back.

Not a confirmation but all the cast seem to want it. They'll try their best to get it I think.

20. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Can people stop using the phrase 'canned laughter'??? Robert Llewellyn and others have made it implicitly clear Red Dwarf never used canned laugher - it was always a genuine reaction, and in series 1-6 and 8 it was a live audience. Canned laughter is sampled laughter that's edited into place. RD never did that!!!

Rant over...