bring back the audience/canned laughter

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by phoenixbrighton, Apr 11, 2009.

1. RegWorf

RegWorf Second Technician

To be honest (I know its gonna step on some toes) but I always thought that RD used a Laugh Track. The laughs always seemed very Generic and plain, most "Filmed before a live studio Audience" shows that I have seen normally have different types of laughter for different things -- you can tell its real because each laugh isn't a cookie cutter version of another.

I mean, maybe it is different in the US but "Live Audiences" normally do more than just laugh-- taking The Cosby Show, Married With Children, or Roseanne for example -- people would hoot, clap, "OHHH!", and make all kinds of different and unique noises sometimes just one person laughing. I never heard anything like that on Red Dwarf.

Each laugh, in different lengths, seemed like the exact same as all the others.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm guessing you didn't here anything like that for the simple honest reason that, as you've alluded to, that's not how British audiences generally behave.

3. faydenece

faydenece Skutter

they need a live audience other wise how do they know if the joke they are doing is good. also whether to milk it for a little longer (like the rimmer salute gag) hope future episodes are in front of a live audience

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

They were definitely done in front of a studio audience, or (with location work or the entirety of series 7) filmed first and shown after. So those are real laughs by real people you're hearing. As for changes, I have heard a couple of very strange laughs, the kind of thing I wouldn't imagine you'd hear were it not people actually responding. This includes a man guffawing HA HAAAAR! in early series (I can't remember quite which one) and a girl making that high pitched 'heh-hee' giggle they make when their funny bone is really getting tickled. The type that sounds a bit like a hiccup. I forget the scene but I think it might have been the double polaroid scene in D.N.A. or Rimmer's new girly hair do in series one. (Either way I think you hear quite a response during both those scenes, far from generic.)

British audiences do tend to be a bit more reserved than American audiences. There is cheering and whooping in the series 2 episode Kryten though, in the scene when Kryten 'stands up' to Rimmer. When he does the 'What 've ya got?' line in the Chicago(ish) accent you hear cheers. (No offence but I'm always reminded of American sitcoms when I hear it!) Also when Kryten throws the soup on the bunk you hear a girl exclaim "EUUUUUUH!" in a mixture of humour and disgust.

5. bedfordfalls

Ditto the "Woo-oo" we hear from a solo audience member when Duane Dibley talks about his triple strength condom or the ladish "weyyyy" roar that went up when Norman Lovett returned as Holly.

In fact there are loads of moments where the audience makes unique interludes into the dialogue causing the actors to pause or begin a sentence twice to be heard over audience noise. I'm really not sure what the TC's point is other than that British audiances don't react in exactly the same way as American audiances. But then why would they?

6. bedfordfalls

Unfortunately, as with the Rimmer Salute gag (and indeed much of series 8 ) this can backfire. What may seem hilarious at the time to a bunch of pumped up excited fans of the show doesn't always translate so well on TV and in fact can decend into hammy pantomime parody as it did frequently during this series.

This is why (and I probably won't be liked for saying this) it might be best if future live audiances are recruited from the ordinary general public and not be made up of established super-fans of the show.