British/American Idioms, Phrases and Slang

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

We know, we have touch base out here. I don't know why anybody would have any problem with that or reaching out.

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Its just so worn out and.......... I don't know ..... I mean its just the way its said I guess. "Touch base" why not check in or I need to see or any myriad others. "Reaching out" .... what's wrong with ask?

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't think Rob and Doug got smeg from smegma. At least, I don't think I've ever heard either of them state that they did. In fact, in an interview many years ago Rob Grant denied the word had any link to smegma. I think they just came up with it randomly after deciding to create a futuristic swear word.

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I find them all to have slightly different situations in which they are most proper, but all those do work, I guess.

5. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

"Check in" was once a novel figure of speech too :-) In a few decades, people will probably be saying: "Argh, I hate the phrase '[whatever]'. What's wrong with a good old-fashioned phrase like 'touch base'?!"

FeeBee likes this.
  6. BigOleDummy

I guess you have a point there but still .......... using new phrases/words for established needs just seems unnecessary to me. English is reputed to be one of the harder languages to learn for non-native speakers anyway and I see some of what we now use as dated as "Groovy". Freddy , a German friend of mine used to get SO frustrated when I tried to explain American expressions and word usage to him. He spoke excellent English by the way.

Anyway, this thread has drifted away from my original intention somewhat but that's cool :-)-D see what I did there?!) Language, its roots and evolution has long fascinated me and the differences between British English and American English, not to mention Australian , Canadian , and New Zealand English is something I've thought about for years.

7. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I suspect you'll remember mid Atlantic American big ole, being a fan of film noir and films of the period that is. That was a strange one. I imagine it started because Yanks have a thing for the English and its class system, therefore the more upper class ones among you tried to affect it, in an effort to seem more sophisticated, it was an odd thing anyway, and was prevalent in a lot of US movies of the 40s and 50s. Weirdly enough, a lot of British dj's adopted it, because they wanted to sound like their American DJ counterparts

8. neilold

Cost kick a bo againt a wo an' then 'it it wi' thi yed till it bosses?"

can you kick a ball against a wall then hit it with your head till it bursts

Stoke dialect

The correct reply is 'aye, cost yeow?'

yes can you?

9. neilold

what about 'there's nowt will cum from 'owt what mithering cluuterbucks don't barley grummit'

10. BigOleDummy

Ah hab nary idear wut yawl jus sayid.

(I have no idea what you just said - Southern U.S. dialect of English)

Abe likes this.
  11. neilold

there' s nothing will come from anything that moaning idiots don't barely understand

12. neilold

some struggle with Southern U.S dialect, but I find it fairly easily since I grew up adoring Tom Sawyer and br'er rabbit

13. BigOleDummy

Samuel Clemens is one of the best American authors we've ever produced imho. Do yourself a favor and read "Life on the Mississippi", "The Innocents Abroad" and "Roughing It". Please note that although written in 1869 "Innocents Abroad" is STILL spot on as an observation of how way too many Americans view and act when they first see the world.

If you don't want to go to the Library, most of his writings are online free, courtesy of the Gutenberg Project. Worthwhile organization imho.

Here's the link for Innocents

http://publicliterature.org/pdf/3176.pdf

14. neilold

I've read life on the Mississippi and the innocent s abroad. A very long time ago though. I loved Sawyer as a kid, the adventures were great, and seemed so exciting. I also loved the adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn TV series to, and I've talked about the books and show many times on here also

15. BigOleDummy

Must have been before my time or while I was on hiatus :redface:. I think the first book of his I read was Huckleberry Finn, but have read them all multiple times.

16. neilold

Musta being

17. BigOleDummy

while I haven't rafted down the Mississippi or the Ohio rivers (A Major tributary mere blocks from my front door), I HAVE rafted a big part of the Blue river here in Indiana. Its more of a really HUGE creek than a river imho, but then I didn't have to worry about getting run over by a barge either!

18. BigOleDummy

British slang : Anyone have any idea at all where the term "Loo" came from? And just WHAT is "Bangers and Mash" anyway? Guess I could look them up on Bing but would rather get the answer straight from the horses mouth as it were. Also, what is a "scouse" and why are they called that?

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Isn't loo short for Lavatory?

Bangers and Mash is a cartoon series abount brother monkeys who always get into trouble ;-)

Its mashed spuds and sausages

BigOleDummy likes this.
  20. BigOleDummy

Thank you @FeeBee and Good Morning to you! But I suppose its evening to you so Good Evening!

FeeBee likes this.