bte a movie

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Aug 12, 2010.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

to me BTE is a movie, i know they class it as series 9 but to me its the movie, whenever i watch it i watch it as a 3parter so its on for about 1hr 15mins, just like a short movie and it dosn't have a laugh track which most comedy movies don't have one, i know its series 9 and i will call it series 9 but really it should be classed as a movie

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

(I like your signature by the way! :-D )
    I think BTE is kind of hard to define...Doug Naylor has obviously thought that it should be series IX, and I can see that, as a few people have stated to me, that you shouldn't hark back to past series, or 'forgotten' cliffhangers and plotlines because you would leave the people who didn't watch series VIII out of the loop, therefore series IX-BTE was a 'clean slate'.

But I think that its the fans of Red Dwarf that are keeping Red Dwarf alive at the moment, so why not 'hark' back to the cliffhanger of series VIII, why not do a series that mentions all that the guys said had happened in the past years in BTE etc

Of course it gets complicated that way, because BTE seemingly took place after series X, therefore there would maybe have to be 2 series (IX and X) before the BTE specials...of course you could do it an other way; have a series IX resolving series VIII clifhanger, then have another set of specials like BTE that lead to BTE itself....

phew - complicated :shock:

.......but, basically what I've come to realise from gauging people's opinions and so on from posts and discussion etc is that its all semantics; we would just love more red dwarf...the problem was really in the definability of BTE i.e. it was like a tv movie, and yet Naylor seems to have rebelled against that by splitting it into a 3 parter, so then they're billed as anniversary specials that apparently took place after series X, but then they've been called series IX, but just how much of everything discussed in BTE was squid-induced hallucination-and-fantasy, and how much had actually happened in the Dwarf universe...plus, if series 'IX' was all an hallucination, then how did the crew progress from the end of series VIII to the next series? I assume Kochanski has ACTUALLY left the crew as Kryten says, perhaps Rimmer died at the end of series VIII, and that the crew found their way to another parallel Red Dwarf etc...I'd hope that some of these points would be at least cleared up by a mega-fast scroll at the beginning of the prospective next series X.

3. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/messages.cfm?threadid=607BC02E-D3CD-4C94-BBBB0F5B55D3A596

check out this thread where a head-honcho knowledgable chap called Andrew tries to clear up my tangled thoughts on BTE and the future of Red dwarf lol bless him, but as he says alot more than I realised is actually revealed or explained (i.e. distinction between what is real and hullucination-induced in the Dwarf universe) in BTE.